Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Selca, Island Brač / Selca, otok Brač

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all


  • Maja Čulić (Nižetić) (1891 - 1984)
  • Martin Kukučin (1860 - 1928)
    Martin Kukučín statue in Medical garden in BratislavaMartin Kukučín (own name Matej Bencúr, * 17 May 1860 Jasenová, † 21 May 1928 Pakrac, Croatia) was a Slovak prose writer, dramatist and publicist. ...
  • <private> Štambuk (1911 - 1971)
  • Petar Štambuk (1726 - d.)
  • Mate Petar Nižetić (1664 - 1739)
    Niseteo (Nisiteo), Matija Petar Petrulli - Hrvatska enciklopedija Brac noble responsible for freeing Antonio Štambuk "Danas nestalo naselje Dubravica izmedu Gradca i Mosuja istocno od Gornjeg Humca...

Selca is a small town on eastern side of the island of Brač within the Split-Dalmatia county of Croatia.

Surnames to be found today in Selca, island Brač (NB some are recent arrivals to Selca, with only one or two generations)

Trutanić Nižetić Bezmalinović Bošković Štambuk Ursić Eterović Vuković Jakšić Politeo Mošić Carević Antonijević Marijančević Bronzović Mišetić Tonšić Glušević Fistanić Barhanović

List of Surnames to be found in Selca shown with alias, origin, and it's clan names (nadimci) as used in Selca

Boškovič also Hencević alias Bošković, Boscovich believed to have originated from Brela (nadimci Načeša, Bukeš, Filuga, Momčić, Ranje, Garđelin, Gvardijan, Bore, Stenjalo)

Bezmalinović also Bezmalinovich believed to have originated from Poljica (nadimci Jurac, Jurčević, Kornelić)

Barhanović also Barhanovich believed to have originated from Murvica (nadimak: Supetranin)

Carević also Zarevich, alias Vrsalović q.v. (nadimci Zrnojar, Bubara)

Carević believed to have originated from Brela (nadimci Pope, Košće, Čorko, Kroio)

Didolić also Didolich (nadimci Veli, Mali, Mrmere)

Glušević also Glušćević alias Mošić believed to have originated from Metkovic (nadimci Sleško, Vulin)

Jurun also Giurun (naidimci Lanđer, Solde, Kaizer, Longo, Šandre)

Jakšić also Giassich, Giaxich listed among the old Brač nobility in 1657 (nadimak Bilin)

Marijančević also recorded as Tomšić alias Marijančević, Tonsić vulgo Marijančević - Tonsić q.v.

Mišetić also Matijašić, Matašić believed to have originated from Poljica listed among the old Brač nobility in 1657 (nadimci Kumica, Šuljak, Fratar)

Mošić believed to be linked to Glušćević, possibly derived from locality Mošuje (Mosuljica) (nadimci Tirola, Baćulinac, Kalifornez, Glušević)

Nižetić also Nisetei, Nisetich believed to have originated from Dubravice (nadimci Sudja, Verić, Huhnić, Kure, Jogo, Papić, Pavlina, Rokotovi, Piplica)

Štambuk also Stambucco, Stambuch believed to have originated from Bohemia (nadimci: Zorini, Čiča, Tripo, Erceg, Šaranja, Bolkini, Puše, Pule, Muto, Žura, Trumbun, Fatori, Mićini, Zakeja, Šalte, Mise, Žuvanin)

Trutanić also Trutanich, Trutanić alias Mengić (nadimci: Cvitić, Jurlina, Mikulica)

Tonšić also Jakšić alias Coknić, Tonsich, Marijančević (nadimci: Sprtica, Miš, Karlin, Rovilo, Pivac, Lala, Bazeta)

Ursić also Ursich believed to have originated from Makarska hinterland region/Dalmatinska Zagore and moved to the island from Brela (nadimci: Piše, Dujini, Mime, Vidini, Kumejoža, Kole, Ture, Kovač, Šare, Šćenze)

Vrsalović also Versalovich, Carević, Zarevich believed to have originated from Gornji Humac (nadimci Paramate, Jakovic, Boćineto)

Vuković also Vucovich, Vuković alias Trifunović, believed to have originated from Gornji Humac (nadimici Nane, Suho, Sabe, Kokić, Jadire, Barahul)

Clan names (nadimci) are used to distinguish between different lineages bearing the same surname. NB This differs from the custom of joining two surnames, which happened in Selca for a short period about a century ago

list of the original nobility of Brač

History of Selca

In the valley of Zaganj which lies between Selca and Sumartin, two Bronze Age graves estimated to date from 500 BC, have been found. Tombstones, vases and fragments of filigree jewellery from Roman times, have also been found. Recently, a number of studies of the pre-history of Brač and other Dalmatian islands have been undertaken.

In early times, Gradac was the main settlement of the Croats from Neretva. There was also an early Croatian cemetery in Gradac from the 13th to 15th century. Some chroniclers referred to Gradac as "the stony seat of the duke John", which could be a wry allusion to the karstland that Brač is famous for. Dujam Hrankovic, the first Bracan chronicler and author of Opis Braca (the description of Brač 1405) was from Gradac. He wrote in 1405, in his Description of the island of Brač of twelve medieval settlements; viz. Nerezisca, Donji Humac, Skrip, Dol, Praznica, Gornji Humac, Strazevnik, Podhume, Mosuje, Dubravica, Gradac, and Podgracisce, only half of which have survived after the 17th century.

Selca is mentioned in the Charter of Povlja around 1184. At that time, Selca could only have consisted of a few rough shepherd dwellings which were later deserted, similar to many other drywall settlements. The disappearance of these settlements is partly due to raids by pirates on the easily accessible coastal settlements and also due to an epidemic of plague between 1425 and 1427 which decimated the population of the entire island to a mere 2000.

Selca grew and developed, it's population came partly from the original inhabitants of the abandoned settlements of Podgracisce (q.v. Novo Solo), Gradac, Dubravica and Mosuje (q.v. Gornji Humac). From the 17th century and onwards, there came also refugees from the mainland, who settled in Selca and also in other towns and villages of Brač. These refugees, from the Dalmatian hinterland and Bosnia were fleeing from the Venetian-Turkish wars.

In 1614, the priest N. Simunovic records how, at the eastern end of Brač, there were some thirty scattered houses on the pastures and that Selca has eight shepherds' houses. That year, it was also recorded that a Margareta Scepanovic, lived in the wood at the place Selca some 7-8 miles away from Gornji Humac. Only 60 years later Selca, with its hamlets, had 124 inhabitants. Only much later were number of inhabitants of these hamlets stated separately. see below;

These hamlets were and remain important for their tradition of sheep breeding. They are also valuable because of their architectural and ethnographic characteristics of an already forgotten period. These picturesque little hamlets continue to earn their living from their ancient occupations.

In 1880 and 1900 ;

 Zagvozd - 3 to 10,
 Nagorinac - 24 to 57,
 Nakal - 16 to 31,
 Nasela - 14 to 38,
 Osnitke - 22 to 37, and
 Posmrcevik - l6 to 18.

In 1633, the church Gospa na Selcih (Our Lady of Selca), founded by C. G. Simone together with the inhabitants of Radonja. In 1668, the bishop Andreis recorded that Selca and Lokanjac (today a part of Selca) were under the authority of the parish of Gornji Humac. In 1720, Selca became a curacy and in 1815, it was declared to be a separate parish.

Only when Selca started quarrying and working stone, did it experience a sudden and rapid development. In 1678 it had as many as 124 inhabitants and a century later it had 400. Such a growth was fostered by constant immigration and the development of stone-masonry. According to local hearsay, the founder of stone masonary in Selca was an Antonio Standelpergher known as Stambucco, who arrived in 1713 from Bohemia. From his descendants comes the family line of Stambuk. Stambucco could be derived from the Italianisation of the German word steinbrecher or stonemason.

The real blossoming in its economic and cultural life took place at the end of the 19th century. In 1888 the Selcans founded the society Hrvatski sastanak (The Croatian Meeting). At the time, the library of Selca was the best equipped on the island.

For a long time, serving as a doctor, the prominent Slovak writer Matej Bencur (1844-1911) who wrote under the pseudonym Martin Kukucin lived in Selca. He drew the plots of his stories from the patriarchal life of the Brac peasants. His book Kuca na proplanku (The House in the Glade) refers to Selca. He emigrated to South America at the beginning of the century (1907-1920). Amongst the emigrant Bracans, he wrote the book Maka zove (Mat vola, The mother calls), full of home sickness for his native land. There is a statue of Bencur in a park of Bratislava by the Croatian sculptor Ivan Mestrovich.

Population of Selca over the last few centuries

  • 1579 1857 1900 1910 1931 1953 1971 1981 1991
  • ... 0 ..766 1780 1988 1571 1266 1139 1081 1117

After the First World War, the population of Selca began to decrease, as was the case with the other settlements on Brač. There was a mass emigration of Bracans in search of work overseas in order to survive. This exodus is comparable to the better known exodus of people from Ireland. Over 500 individuals are known to have emigrated from Selca, mainly to the USA, Chile, Argentina and to Australia.

The causes were :

  1. oppressive laws during the Austrian domination and after, especially the so-called Wine clause which restricted local wine production,
  2. the devastation caused by grape blight or phylloxera, which destroyed the vineyards that provided the peasants livelihood and
  3. crippling taxation.

All these factors resulted in severe economic hardship and contributed to an immense exodus of people from the whole of Dalmatia and not only from Brač.

List of most common names and surnames of Selca in Croatian (Selca website)

Official website - [] (NB in Croatian)