Svirče stands partly in the valley and partly on the lower southern slopes of Gorica hill and was first mentioned in the Statute of Hvar in 1331 as connected with Vrbanj, but it became independent around 1690. The village is interesting from the ethnographic point of view, especially as regards the architectural cluster of Carić houses connected by little bridges and the walled-in complex of count Simunić. The parish church of Sv. Marija Magdalena (St. Mary Magdalene) is new, built where the 18th century church was. Only the bell-tower remains from the old church. Next to it is an old cemetery with cypress trees. The church of Sv. Marija (St. Mary) on the Pjaca (the main square) was adopted from the village loggia in 1820. In the Makjanić house there is a very interesting collection of sculptures and reliefs in wood, done by the self-taught sculptor Josip Makjanić (1837-1929).
According to legend, it got its name from the way it's first settlers (shepherds from Vrbanj) arrived there. They came singing and playing music. The word Svirče is a derivative of a word "svirati" meaning "to play music" in Croatian language.
Svirče je mjesto na otoku Hvaru, u općini Jelsa. Nalazi se usred Starogradskog polja, podno Sv. Nikole, najvišeg vrha otoka Hvara (626 m), na središnjem, nizinskom dijelu otoka Hvara, gdje je otok najširi (u pravcu sjever-jug)
[ http://www.pz-svirce.hr/ Website]
Popis stanovnika iz 1673. godine (Census of 1673)
U Svirčima se spominju ove obitelji:
- BOŽIKOVIC (Bositcouich) - Juraj 3, Juraj pok. Tome 4, Tomo 8, Vica udova Stjepana 2
- CARIĆ - Kata udova Ivana 5, Luka pok. Jurja 6, Luka pok. Kuzme 6, Stjepan 5
- CUBRIČEV (Zubrichieu) - Jakov 2
- FRANETOVIĆ - Kata Planca 2
- GRČIĆ (Garcich) - Ivan 2, Juraj 4
- HARDONCEVICH (?) - Juraj pok. Andrije 4
- KAČUNIĆ (Cachiunich) - Ivan pok. Mate 4, Juraj pok. Nikole 2, Petar 1
- LOVRINČEVIĆ (Lourinceuich) - Margarita ud. Luke 3, Petar 6, Stjepan Ivanov reč. Burletta 4, Stjepan pok. Luke 3, Petar 6
- MAKJANIĆ (Maclanich) - Luka pok. Petra 4, Margarita pok. Luke pok. Tome 3, Stjepan 9
- MARIČIJEVIĆ (Marichieuich) - Antun 8
- MILATIĆ - Andrija 6, Ivan 6, Stjepan 7
- PARSIĆ - Juraj 5
- PLENKOVIĆ - Lovro 8
- SIMUNIĆ - braća pok. Mate 11 , braća pok. Petra 15, Frane pok. Ivana 6, Juraj pok. Ivana 5, Juraj pok. Nikole 6, Luka pok. Nikole 2, Mato pok. Jurja 6
- STRIJANIĆ (Strianich) - Kuzmo 6, Petar 6
- TALJURAČIĆ (Tagliuracich) - Ivan 3
- UMANIĆ (Vmanich) - Ivan 5
Od zanimanja spominje se samo lugar (boscarin) Juraj Paršić.
Information extracted from article on THE CENSUS OF THE ISLAND OF HVAR FROM 1673 (Popis stanovnika otoka Hvara iz 1673. godine) by Nevenka Bezić-Božanić, published in the magazine Čakavska rič, Split 1991, br.1.