Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Talavera (Catuguían), Nueva Ecija, Philippines

« Back to Projects Dashboard

view all


  • Agustin M. Leabres (c.1859 - 1947)
    Agustin Leabres was commisioned to rebuild the church building of St. Isidore the Worker Parish in Talavera, Nueva Ecija using wood and galvanized iron during the term of Rev. Fr. Segundo C. Alto (1916...
  • Rev. Fr. Segundo Calderon Alto (aft.1889 - d.)
    Rev. Fr. Segundo Alto was born to Don Perfecto Alto y Lacsamana and Teodora Calderon y Joson and was baptized in Pulilan, Bulacan on June 2, 1889. He was the second parish priest of the parish of San ...
  • Renato Diaz
    Renato Vera Diaz, born on December 18, 1945 in Talavera, Nueva Ecija is a businessman (Chairman and President of Smart Managers Consultancy Inc., RVD Management Services and Holding Co., Inc., Vice pre...
  • Doña Julia Alonso (c.1860 - d.)
    Julia Alonso is a primary school teacher in Talavera, Nueva Ecija circa 1890. Source: Guia oficial de Filipinas, p. 716

Catuguían is one of the former barrios of Cabanatuan in the province of Nueva Ecija and became the municipality we know today as Talavera. The old name of the town, Catuguian, literally means "a place where Tugui (a root crop; scientific name: Dioscorea esculenta, commonly known as lesser yam or Asiatic yam) is abundant".

The Pre-colonial Era

In the distant past, the area of the present-day Talavera (Catuguian and the other barrios which later constituted the modern town) was forest where wild animals may be found. Together with other present-day towns and cities north of Pampanga, it was then one of the northernmost places under the rule of the ancient Lakanate (kingdom) of Tondo.

Prior to the foundation of Christianized villages comprising mainly of Tagalogs, Pampangos, and Ilocanos, different groups of people also roamed around and lived in the different parts of Nueva Ecija including Catuguian. Some of those earliest known peoples are:

  1. Baluga - In Pampango dialect, it means mixed blood or half-bred. It is quite a wide use to indicate Negrito-Malayan roving savages. Local historian, Tomas I. Pagaduan, mentioned the existence of this group in some areas of Talavera (e.g. Pinagpanaan, Baluga, San Miguel na Munti) prior to the coming of Bulaqueños and Ilocanos. See Taruru.
  2. Igorrotes - igorrote was a word in Spanish form which has had wide use. It is used in its original form, Igolot , by Morga, 1609. It means people of the mountains in several Malayan languages. (The word Igorot was the term used by Pagaduan to refer to a group of people in constant conflict with the Balugas).

With fertile soil and a body of water suitable for irrigation and transportation (Rio de Talavera), the place to be known as Talavera became a suitable place for agriculture, migration of people from surrounding towns and provinces, and a ministry attached to the nearby missions of the Spanish Augustinians.

Spanish Colonial Period


  • 1595 The first Augustinian mission in lowland Nueva Ecija was founded in Ayombon or Ayombong, later Gapang ,now Gapan, Nueva Ecija. (Some Talavereños can trace their ancestry in this old pueblo). To its ministries are attached five others: Cabanatuan, Caranglan, Pantabangan, and Santor y Bongabon.
  • August 14, 1595 Pope Clement VIII instituted the Diocese of Manila. Included in this new Diocese is the City of Manila, and 10 areas we know today as Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga, Nueva Ecija, Batangas, Laguna, Cavite, Bataan, Zambales, and Mindoro.
  • August 28, 1595 Foundation of the convento de Ayombon (later Gapang, now Gapan City)
  • 1636 The Augustinians abandoned their missionary work due to limited manpower and inaccessible terrain except Bongabon.
  • 1645 The kapampangan uprising in Gapan was subdued. (see biography of Felipe Songsong)
  • 1659 Expansion of the Agustinian mission in Santol or Santor (now part of Bongabon, Nueva Ecija)
  • From the late 16th to 17th century, the history of Nueva Ecija is inseparable with that of Pampanga.

==Catuguían under Cabanatuan==

  • 1700 The Augustinians resumed their missionary work. The 18th century history of the area we know today as Talavera is inseparable with that of Cabanatuan. (Cabanatuan literally means "a place abundant of Banatu tree.)
  • 1700 Foundation of the Agustininian mission of Cabanatuan (an independent parish). Banga-banga (Sta. Rosa), La Torre, Pinagpanaang (Pinagpanaan), Calipahan, Valle, Baloc, Pulong Buli (Sto. Domingo), Mamandil, Concepcion, and Catuguian (Talavera) were under its jurisdiction. Sta. Rosa, Sto. Domingo and Talavera later became independent pueblos and parishes. ( The population of Catuguian grew as people from the nearby towns and provinces look for new lands to cultivate. The present generations of the old families trace their ancestry in Bulacan, Pampanga, and the Ilocos region.)
  • Between 1700-1705 Most likely in 1701 or 1702 during the term of the governor general, El Excelentísimo Señor Don Fausto Cruzat y Gongora, when the present Nueva Ecija was organized as a comandancia (military district) and was referred to as Upper Pampanga (Alta Pampanga or Pampanga de los Montes)
  • September 1, 1759 El Excelentísimo Señor Don Carlos III, king of Spain issued a Royal Decree that ended the founding missions of Augustinians and transferred all Augustinian responsibilities in the settlements of Nueva Ecija to Franciscan friars. Through tribute collections and polo y servicio or rendering of force labor, the Franciscans constructed churches, convents, parochial schools and tribunals. They also constructed roads and bridges to connect other settlements.
  • 1775 The capital of Nueva Ecija was transferred to Bongabon
  • 1777 The capital of Nueva Ecija was transferred to Cabanatuan. It remained the capital until 1852.
  • 1780 King Charles III, upon the recommendation of Governor General Jose Basco y Vargas, issued a royal decree establishing a tobacco monopoly in the Philippines.
  • 1782 The government implemented the royal decree establishing the Tobacco monopoly. The province became the center of the Tobacco monopoly in Central Luzon and was thus restricted from raising other crops. The flourishing tobacco industry and the rich agricultural land attracted the neighboring peoples to migrate. Documents show that migrants came from neighboring Nueva Ecija towns, Bulacan, Batangas, Rizal, Pampanga, Ilocos Norte, Tarlac, Pangasinan, among others. (In 1842, Sinibaldo de Mas surveyed the economic conditions of the land and one of his recommendations is the abolition of the Tobacco monopoly. In 1882, Governor General Fernando Primo de Rivera abolished the tobacco monopoly. Private firms took control of the tobacco industry. Talavereños continued to farm tobacco.)
  • 1785 King Charles III issued a royal decree establishing the Real Compania de Filipinas to promote direct trade with Spain and encourage local agriculture and industry.
  • October 22, 1799 El Excelentísimo Señor Don Carlos IV, king of Spain ordered the separation of towns and parishes of Upper Pampanga, near the Sierra Madre range, as well as coastal towns of Tayabas, along the Pacific Ocean, into a corregimiento (administrative political-military unit; a province not fully subjugated by the Spanish colonial government), which became Nueva Ecija. Baler (now provincial capital of Aurora) was declared its capital.
  • April 25 1801 The king’s directives in 1799 were implemented and the corregimiento was named Nueva Ecija after the hometown [in Spain] of [that period’s] Governor General Rafael Maria de Aguilar y Ponce. The castillejo (a fortified stronghold equivalent of provincial capitol building) of the corregidor (head of the corregimiento, equivalent of provincial governor) was located in a place later known as Ermita Hill in Baler while the office of the teniente (vice governor) was located in Pantabangan.
  • 1818 in this year Estado de la Poblacion de Filipinas was published which reported Cabanatuan to have had 4,746 souls (residents) under Secular Clergy, among them were 11 Spanish mestizos and 1 Sangley Cristiano.
  • 1839-1854 The first known recorded secular priest by the name of Don Antonio de los Santos was assigned in Cabanatuan.
  • 1846 A visita or chapel of ease was founded in Catuguian by the Augustinian missionaries. The area was put under the patronage of St. Isidore the worker for the settlers were mostly relying on farming as their livelihood.
  • The wooden tower in barrio La Torre have been built [at the time or even before the foundation of the visita]. This tower was used to watch over day and night the possible insurrections. From this tower, a radius of 10 kilometers can be observed.
  • 1848 Nueva Ecija was established as a regular province (an Alcaldia, a province that has been fully subjugated by the Spanish colonial government). Cabanatuan became one of its component pueblo with Catuguian as one of its barrios. Gapan, San Isidro, and Cabiao formerlu under the province of Pampanga were annexed to the province of Nueva Ecija.
  • 1852 Fire of unknown origin razed the whole pueblo of Cabanatuan. San Isidro was made the capital of Nueva Ecija and lasted until 1912.

The Birth of Pueblo de Catuguían

  • As the number of residents continue to multiply, the need of a governing body and spiritual services closer to the people were seen as reasons to make barrio Catuguian a pueblo separated from Cabanatuan.
  • July 1852 The residents of Catuguian made a petition to separate their barrio from Cabanatuan and to create it a town.
  • August 31, 1852 Don Aniceto María Muñoz, alcalde mayor of provincia de Nueva Ecija, presented the petition of making Catuguían a town to the Governor General in Intramuros, Manila.
  • September 4, 1852 The Governor General, El Excelentísimo Señor Don Juan Antonio Urbiztondo Eguía, I Marqués de la Solana received the petition.
  • November 5, 1852 The archbishop of Manila, José Julián de Aranguren, received the petition.
  • November 6, 1852 The petition with the seal of approval from the Archbishop of Manila was sent back to the Governor General.
  • November 12, 1852 The archbishop of Manila assigned Catuguian under the care of Agustinian priests of Cabanatuan.
  • December 11, 1852 Catuguian was recognized as a town separate from Cabanatuan through a decree by the Governor General, El Excelentísimo Señor Don Juan Antonio de Urbiztondo y Eguía. Don Antonio de los Santos, parish priest of Cabanatuan, lead the appointment of town leaders and assigned Fr. Estanislao Pascual to attend to the spiritual needs of the people especially during Sundays and Holy days of obligation. The barrios of Pinagpanaan, La Torre, Concepcion, Calipahan, Mamandil, Baloc, Malayantoc, and Pulong Buli were constituted with Catuguian to form the newly founded town. Among those who became the first town leaders are Don Hermenigildo de Talavera, Capitan Juan (Capitan Kua kua), Andres Sugue, to name a few.

The "new" Catuguían: Talavera

  • February 4, 1853 The alcalde mayor of Cabanatuan informed the higher authority the request of the people of Catuguian to change their town's name into Talavera dela prinsesa o dela corona but it shall only be called Talavera.

There are different theories regarding the origin of the name of Talavera:

1. Talavera de la Corona or Talavera de la princesa, shortened as Talavera, was derived from a place name Talavera de la Reina, a town near Madrid in Spain. The residents probably decided to choose the name to make their town name sound more hispanic. "de la corona" or "de la princesa" was probably used in place of "de la Reina" to indicate lesser status than the town in mother Spain where the name was derived. Naming a Philippine place after a Spanish place was a common thing in the past. In fact, several other places in the archipelago were named after Spanish place names.

2. Another theory about the origin of the name Talavera was naming the town after once of its first leader of the town, Don Herminigildo de Talavera. This was unlikely because Don Herminigildo was appointed as town head several decades after Catuguían was named Talavera. Aside from the civil documents regarding the town, church documents in 1860's refers to the town as Talavera prior to the approval of the Spanish King in 1872.

  • February 11, 1853 The request to change the town's name into Talavera was approved by the Governor General.
  • 1865Talavera is still under the care of Cabanatuan parish. The canonical books of Cabanatuan proves this as barrios Calipajan, San Ambrosio, San Ildefonso (Bantug), Santo Domingo, and Baloc of Talavera were mentioned. There was still no available priest to reside in the new pueblo.
  • 1867 Barrios Catambuan, Pinagpanaan, and San Vicente of Talavera were mentioned in the canonical books and were still under Cabanatuan's jurisdiction.
  • November 2, 1872 El Excelentísimo Señor Don Amedeo I Ferdinando Maria of Savoy, Duke of Aosta, King of Spain approved the changing of Catuguian's name to Talavera.
  • 1877 Don Braulio Villareal, another secular priest was assigned in Cabanatuan and Talavera as coadjutor; the future priest to serve Talavera and a patriot, Padre Gregorio Crisostomo y Lugo, was assigned as an interno in Bongabon, Nueva Ecija.
  • December 14, 1881 Don Genaro Palacios y Guerra approved a plan dated December 10, 1881 for the town of Talavera including the construction of a church building and a convent. The plan was based on a report for the civil government dated June 17, 1881.
  • November-December, 1882 Cholera epidemic
  • April 21, 1891 The parish of Talavera was completely separated from Cabanatuan but due to the lack of priests, the Augustinian priests of Cabanatuan continued to serve Talavera.

Revolution and Independence

  • September 2 1896 First Cry of Nueva Ecija. (It was during the mayoryal term of Nicolas Mamawi when the revolution broke out.)
  • 1898 Padre Gregorio Crisostomo y Lugo, Malolos' first native parish priest and a patriot, served in Parroquia de San Isidro Labrador de Talavera.
  • March 29 1899 San Isidro was declared the capital of the Philippines.

American Period

  • November 1, 1899 The Americans under the command of Major General Gen. Henry Ware Lawton occupied Talavera.
  • Early 1900's A wave of migration mostly from the Ilocos region. The migrants worked to the areas of the town in the existing estates such as Hacienda Llamas, Hacienda Jacinto, Hacienda de Leon, Hacienda Soriano, Hacienda Cojuanco, among others.
  • January 2, 1908 The Supreme Court decreed that the Roman Catholic Church was the rightful owner and can take immediate possession of the cemetery of Talavera.
  • 1910 Rev. Fr. Ruperto T. Rosario, Talavera's first residential priest started his administration. The church's antique bell was acquired during his term.
  • March 1911 Talavera was described as a part of the central area of the province being one of the richest and most beautiful tracts of prairie land, well watered, and well wooded in the Philippine Islands.
  • December 4, 1913 Application of Registration of the school lot bounded in the north by the property of Celerino A. Valenton, in the south by the property of Francisca Ferry, and in the west by the provincial road to Cabanatuan.
  • 1914 A sum of seven thousand five hundred pesos was received for the construction of standard no. 3 school building, delivery of materials, and commencement of construction.
  • 1918 At this year, there was a total of 8 primary schools (5 public and 3 private or sectarian) in Talavera.
  • 1920's Establishment and flourishing of the colorum organization called the Caballeros de la Sagrada Familia. Marcos Josef Miranda who was believed as one of its founders in Nueva Ecija and Pampanga served as the religious group's Secretario General until his death.
  • 1930's-1950's - uprising of poor peasants against their landlords. The movement developed into a rebellion called the Hukbalahap or Hukbong Bayan Laban sa mga Hapon during the Japanese occupation. It was founded in Cabiao, Nueva Ecija by Luis Taruc of San Luis, Pampanga. The members participated in guerilla warfare against the Japanese and after the Liberation, the members continued fighting for their land ownership rights.
  • Circa 1930 Relocation of the cemetery for sanitary purposes (According to some elders, the old cemetery was located in an area at the present Maestrang Kikay district particularly in a lot corner of Roxas and Edmar streets. Human bones may still be dug in this area. The people of the town may have failed to relocate all the human remains due to the war succeeding the plan and order of relocating the cemetery.)
  • April 1941 Construction of the new convent and church.

Japanese Occupation

  • December 1941 Shortly after Christmas, the Japanese soldiers arrived in Talavera. The bridge of Calipahan was bombed.
  • Presidente Municipal Ambrocio Fausto transfered the seat of government to baranggay Kinalanguyan. He, together with other officials, was later captured and detained in Cabanatuan. They were released later and were allowed to keep their offices in the condition that they will work hand-by-hand with the Japanese.
  • January 6, 1942 The Japanese stormed the bayan. The Japanese also bombed Gulod and Paludpod. Teniente Marcos Josef Miranda led the mass evacuation of the residents to San Miguel de Mayumo, Bulacan.
  • March 29, 1942 HUKBALAHAP or Hukbong Bayan Laban sa Hapon was organized in Sitio Bawit, San Juan, Cabiao, Nueva Ecija through the leadership of Luis Taruc of San Luis, Pampanga. A number of Talavera poor peasants joined this group.
  • April 1942 The government urged the residents to return and to plant their crops. It distributed thousands of leaflets promising that the Japanese soldiers would no longer mistreat civilians and that the Japanese regime wanted to help everyone become prosperous. [At this time, Marcos Josef Miranda and his family and the people they led during the mass evacuation returned to Talavera but they continued supporting the HUKBALAHAP guerillas by providing food, drink and other necessities. Nicanor Trajano Tiongson (alias Mariano Leongson), brother of Natividad Trajano Tiongson (daughter-in-law of Marcos Josef Miranda) had joined the movement].
  • During the Japanese occupation, Captain Burgosino Rigor Fausto was the commander of the Philippine Constabulary detachment in Talavera, Nueva Ecija assigned by the Philippine Constabulary headquarters in Manila which was already cooperating with the Japanese high command.
  • November 21, 1943 Ambrocio Fausto was assassinated by Sixto Marcos Candelaria for the reason of the former's cooperation with the Japanese. (Ambrosio Fausto was seen accompanying the Japanese soldier named Siwa).
  • 1945 The church was directly hit by a bomb of the United States Armed Forces in the Far East (USAFFE). The entire wooden and galvanized iron façade was destroyed.

Liberation leading to the Present Period

  • January 30, 1945 The great raid of Cabanatuan
  • January 31, 1945 Civilians and prisoners of war (POW) liberated from the raid of Cabanatuan reached Sibul, Talavera. The villagers helped them by providing 20 carts.
  • February 7, 1945 end of Battle of Muñoz (Muñoz is just north of the town. Baranggay Bakal was nearer it than Talavera town proper)
  • After the liberation from the Japanese government, the new sets of local leaders were elected; repair of the bombed parish church.
  • May 14, 1947 At this time, the repair of the church was already complete.
  • 1951-1957 Fund raising for the construction and actual construction of a new concrete church building of Parroquia de San Isidro Labrador. Don Dionisio Diaz was the president of the construction project while Don Emilio Manuzon Capulong worked as the treasurer. The result of the project was a beautiful Neo-Romanesque church building which is now known as one of the Diocesan Shrines of the Diocese of Cabanatuan and a pilgrimage site in Nueva Ecija.
  • May 11, 1955 The barrios of General Luna, Morcon, Mabini, Ricarte, Casili, and Picon, together with sitios Plaridel and Bosque were separated from Talavera and constituted with other barrios to create a separate municipality known as Llanera.
  • November 9, 1970 REPUBLIC ACT NO. 6169 was enacted. It was an Act converting the Talavera High School into a National High School.
  • May 18, 1983 Approval of the BATAS PAMBANSA Blg. 396: An Act Establishing an Extension Hospital in the Municipality of Talavera, Province of Nueva Ecija
  • June 24, 1983 Approval of the BATAS PAMBANSA Blg. 631: An Act Converting the San Ricardo Barangay High School in the Municipality of Talavera, Province of Nueva Ecija, into a National High School
  • August 13, 2007 Resolution 042-2007 was signed approving the foundation of Nueva Ecija University of Science and Technology - Municipal Government of Talavera (NEUST-MGT) envisioned by the then Municipal Mayor Nerito Lacanilao Santos.
  • June 17, 2008 The memorandum of agreement between the municipality of Talavera and the Nueva Ecija University of Science and Technology main campus was signed. It was then that the institution was formally started to provide quality education free for everyone which is strategically located at the heart of the community.
  • September 28, 2018 Through the Republic Act 11085, Dr. Paulino J. Garcia Memorial Research and Medical Center Hospital was upgraded into a level II hospital and was now known as Talavera General Hospital.
  • February 18, 2019 Inauguration of Balay Silangan Reformation Center located in Brgy. Sampaloc.
  • April 2, 2019 Inauguration of Evacuation Center located in Brgy. Sampaloc

Note: This chronology of Talavera's history is a work in progress. Any addition or alteration of details may be done by the project manager when new and more reliable sources are found.

Profiles included in this project are historical figures, revolutionary heroes, war veterans, government officials, religious leaders, people from the different fields of expertise, any person, resident or not, who have contributed to the foundation, development, and progress of Talavera, Nueva Ecija.



Gobernadorcillos, Presidentes Municipal, and Municipal Mayors

  • Don Hermenigildo de Talavera
  • Capitan Juan (Capitan Kua kua)
  • Doroteo Valenton
  • Rufino Valenton
  • Anacleto Diaz
  • Raymundo Agaton
  • Eulalio Nocum
  • Alejandro Diaz
  • Andres Sugue
  • Juan Valino
  • Mariano Rivera
  • Nicolas Mamawi
  • Casimiro Castro
  • Lucas Navarro
  • Mariano Talento
  • Teodoro Salvatierra
  • Elias Ferrer
  • Celerino Valenton
  • Timoteo Parungao
  • Ambrocio Fausto
  • Leopoldo Diaz
  • Dionisio Talento
  • Jose David
  • Teodosio Valenton
  • Lucio Aquino
  • Romeo Maliwat
  • Bonifacio de Jesus
  • Marcelo Diaz
  • Manolito Fausto
  • Nerito "Mayor Ama" Lacanilao Santos
  • Nerivi "Ate Vi" Santos-Martinez
  • Nerito "Jay-ar" Sariente Santos, Jr.

Cabezas, Tenientes, Capitanes, Barangay Captains

  • Teniente Marcos Josef Miranda (Gulod and Sampaloc)
  • Don Gregorio Garcia (San Ildefonso/Bantug)
  • Don Ancelmo Garcia (San Ildefonso/Bantug)
  • Don Pedro Garcia (Bantug)
  • Arsenio Durutiao Tiongson (Gulod)




  • Clarisse Michaelle O. Castro (Archery gold medalist, Palarong Pambansa)
  • Shane de Gonzales (Archery gold medalist, Palarong Pambansa)
  • Arturo Jimenez (Archery coach, Palarong Pambansa)
  • Jerome Yenson (Philippine Baseball Team, 30th SEA Games)
  • Paul Marton S. Dela Cruz (Philippine Archery, 30th SEA Games)
  • Janelle Del Mundo Mendoza (Philippine Netball Team, 30th SEA Games)
  • Josan Michael C. Nimes (Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League)


  • Charrize Verde Quimson (Binibining Nueva Ecija)


  • Charrize Verde Quimson (TV5)


  • Eufemia Manahan Atendido
  • Pinicasion Marquez Salazar
  • Estefania Ramos Villiones





  • Tomas I. Pagaduan
  • Adonis Capulong Reyes
  • Rev. Fr. Mark C. Ancheta

The barangays and some of the earliest known residents

Andal Aliño (see Poblacion Sur)

Bagong Sikat
(formerly known as Evangelista)

  • Felix Cajucom
  • Pablo Norte
  • Rufino Binuya
  • Tirso Maniquiz

Bakal I (formerly known as Buenavista, part of Hacienda Soriano later part of Hacienda Cojuanco)

  • Isabelo de la Cruz
  • Modesto de la Cruz
  • Fabian Villanueva
  • Damaso Alota
  • Pablo Agapito
  • Marcelo Pagaduan
  • Paulino Asuncion
  • Nicolas Manuzon
  • Teodoro Pantaleon
  • Maximo Geranta
  • Juaquin Grande
  • Anselmo Madamba
  • Dionisio Mina
  • Lucio Salazar
  • Magno Villanueva
  • Mariano Mercado
  • Pedro Pagaduan

Bakal II (a former barrio in Hacienda Cojuanco)

  • Francisco de la Cruz
  • Placido Marquez
  • Agustin Coronel
  • Damaso Ramirez
  • Apolonio Lazaro
  • Feliciano Villacorta
  • Sixto Manlapaz
  • Victorio Pangan
  • Marcelo Pagaduan
  • Pablo Agapito
  • Feliciano de Guzman
  • Simeon Mangulabnan

Bakal III (a former barrio of Hacienda Cojuanco)

  • Esteban Bernardo
  • Bartolome Bernardo
  • Apolinario Bernardo
  • Emilio Bernardo
  • Domingo Carurucan
  • Calixto Carurucan
  • Mariano de la Cruz
  • Daniel Gonzales
  • Gregorio Salazar
  • Jose Nimenzo
  • Roman Ricometa
  • Arcadio Apolonio
  • Placido Ventura
  • Ruperto Angeles
  • Dominador Galvan
  • Santiago Galvan
  • Francisco Berza
  • Arsenio Aquino
  • Mariano de la Cruz
  • Pablo Espiritu
  • Emeterio Parungao

Baluga (a former sitio of Pinagpanaan) Original settlers: Balugas and Igorrotes

  • Taruru

Bagong Silang (formerly known as Lomboy Bulihan)

  • Jacinto Bonifacio
  • Lorenzo Bacton
  • Benigno Castro
  • Pedro de la Cruz
  • Agustin Tinio
  • Silverio David
  • Luis Cayanga
  • Gregorio Martin
  • Eulogio de Guzman
  • Mariano Mariano
  • Sebastian de la Cruz
  • Pastor Barlaan
  • Rafael Jimenez
  • Carlito Joson
  • Gonzalo Pablo
  • Emeterio de la Cruz

Basang Hamog (former part of Hacienda de Leon) Origin of pioneers: Tarlac; Pangasinan; La Union; Aliaga, Guimba, and Cuyapo, Nueva Ecija

  • Dionisio Baniqued
  • Maximo Genove
  • Marcelo Eblacas
  • Melquiadez Domingo
  • Potenciano Genove
  • Hipolito Eugenio
  • Anselmo Eblacas
  • Pablo Dumo
  • Emetero Padua
  • Juan Bautista
  • Selvin Pablo
  • Flaviano Gonzales
  • Ambrosio Balucating
  • Fernando Bulado
  • Pedro B.
  • Juan Agaton
  • Florentino Onise
  • Eladio Santiago
  • Gabriel Corpuz

Bantug (formerly known as barrio de San Ildefonso) Origin of pioneering residents: Batac (Ilocos Norte), Barasoain (Bulacan)

  • Marcelo Rodiel
  • Ildefonso Viterbo
  • Pelagio Viterbo
  • Pedro Garcia
  • Andres Villaflor
  • Cosme Agustin
  • Tomas Viterbo
  • Juan Villaviza
  • Pedro Vasquez
  • Angel Hizon
  • Mariano Vito
  • Santiago Ragojos
  • Crispin Ramos
  • Julian Ramos
  • Casimiro Arcega
  • Victor Aquino
  • Anatalio Jacinto
  • Victor Roque
  • Fausto Vana
  • Alejo Jacinto
  • Anselmo Rodiel
  • Pedro Trajano
  • Eduardo Trajano
  • Don Gregorio Garcia
  • Don Esteban Garcia
  • Don Domingo Garcia

Bantug Hacienda Origin of pioneering residents: Quezon, Nueva Ecija; Rosales, Pangasinan; and San Miguel and Baliuag, Bulacan

  • Pablo Rivera
  • Vicente Baldedara
  • Procopio Baldedara
  • Feliciano Baldedara
  • Heremias Catacutan
  • Eduardo Baldedara
  • Eulalio Mendoza
  • Juan Peralta
  • Leopoldo Grospe
  • Alfonso Baldedara
  • Esteban Salvatierra
  • Nicolas Reyes
  • Gregorio Oria
  • Rufino Mendoza
  • Quintin Panganiban
  • Matias Turalba
  • Hilarion Veneracion
  • Eladio San Pedro
  • Florentino Nocum
  • Maximo Tumibay
  • Eliseo Tumibay
  • Pedro Catacutan

Bugtong na Buli

  • Emeterio Valdez
  • Fernando Parungao
  • Julian Maliwat
  • Alfonso Baldedara
  • Regino Reyes
  • Julian Punzal
  • Dionisio Caventa
  • Mariano delos Santos
  • Matias Orena
  • Ambrosio Angala
  • Moises Angala
  • Sabas dela Cruz
  • Felix Dizon
  • Graciano Aliño
  • Cornelio Balajonda
  • Modesto Cena
  • Julino Felipe
  • Dionisio Diaz
  • Genoveva Dulay
  • Leopoldo Diaz

Bulac Origin of pioneer residents: Sta. Barbara, Pangasinan

  • Don Gabriel Llamas
  • Julian Antonio
  • Gregorio Soto
  • Emilio Soto
  • Teodoro Barbosa
  • Bartolome Cabanes
  • Alipio Moises
  • Gulliermo Moises
  • Modesto Cabico
  • Mauricio Bacolores
  • Rufo Sapatero
  • Primitibo Reganit
  • Protacio Antonio
  • Cenon Cabanes
  • Marcelo Collado

Burnay see Valle

Caaninaplahan (former part of Hacienda Jacinto) Ilocano residents descended from the migrants from Guimba, Cuyapo, Nampicuan, and Bongabon, Nueva Ecija and the provinces of Tarlac and Pangasinan. The Tagalogs descended from the resettlers from San Miguel and San Ildefonso, Bulacan.

  • Don Andres Jacinto

Cabubulaunan Residents descended from migrants from Pangasinan and Ilocos Norte.

  • Dr. Nicanor Jacinto
  • Eugenio Baltao
  • Geronimo Flaviano
  • Pedro Manzano


  • Irineo Sugue
  • Gregorio delos Ama
  • Pantaleon delos Ama
  • Claro dela Cruz
  • Agustin Aquino
  • Florencio delos Reyes
  • Melencio delos Reyes
  • Marcos Lopez
  • Enrique delos (?)
  • Doroteo Lagasca
  • Simplicio delos Ama
  • Simplicio Reyes
  • Pedro Sacdal
  • Sebastian Escal
  • Elias delos Reyes

Campus (former part of Hacienda Jacinto)

Caputican (former part of Hacienda Jacinto) Ascendants of residents were from Victoria and Camiling, Tarlac and Uminggan, Pangasinan.

Casulucan Este (formerly known as Kinamatayan and later was called Sigalod. It was then part of Hacienda de Leon) Inhabitants were Ilocanos from Sto. Domingo, Quezon, and Guimba, Nueva Ecija; Gerona, Tarlac; and Candon, Sinait, Cabugao, and Sta. Lucia, Ilocos Sur.

  • Faustino Valentino
  • Victor Valentino
  • Mariano Cenense
  • Francisco Macapulay
  • Roman Ponce
  • Cecilio Alejo
  • Vicente Bergonio
  • Emiliano Valiente
  • Catalino Valdez
  • Sofronio Alamani
  • Gregorio Ponce
  • Cornelio Ibarra
  • Feliciano Valentino
  • Mariano Valentino
  • Roman Domingo

Collado Residents are descendants of people from Licab and Sto. Domingo, Nueva Ecija; Gerona and Camiling, Tarlac; and Urdaneta, Pangasinan.

  • Simeon Pablo
  • Alejandro Roniel
  • Valentin Regaton
  • Agaton Gabao
  • Blas Bueno
  • Andres Viterbo
  • Simeon Bagsac
  • Jose Valdez
  • Dionisio Castillo
  • Irineo Mariano
  • Hermenigildo Pablo
  • Jose Aquino
  • Honorato Pablo
  • Jorge Pablo

Dimasalang Norte (formerly a single barrio with Dimasalang Sur) Pioneering residents originated from the province of Bulacan.

  • Andres Samson
  • Manuel dela Cruz
  • Lorenzo Aquino
  • Lorenzo Serrano
  • Lorenzo Somera
  • Tomas Magtalapa
  • Agustin Romero
  • Melchor dela Cruz
  • Vicente Reña
  • Pedro Bundoc
  • Lorenzo Cunanan
  • Eustaquio Marcos
  • Joaquin Marcos
  • Basilio Bernardo
  • Vicente de Leon
  • Bartolome Serrano
  • Juan Buizon
  • Andres Mallari
  • Maximo Agustin

Dimasalang Sur (see Dimasalang Norte)

Dinarayat (a former sitio of the old barrio of La Torre) Pioneering residents were from Nasugbu, Batangas; San Miguel, Bulacan; Pampanga; and Peñaranda and San Leonardo, Nueva Ecija.

  • Felomino Sainz
  • Sotero Duria
  • Eusfracio Francisco
  • Jose Pineda - Teniente del barrio
  • Benito Francisco
  • Miguel Ignacio
  • Julian Francisco

Esguerra (see Poblacion Sur)

  • Francisco Esguerra


  • Lorenzo Tiongson
  • Juana Durutiao
  • Leocadio Miranda
  • Martina Josef
  • Marcos Miranda
  • Gaspar Lacanilao
  • Maximo Monje

Homestead I (formerly a single barrio with Homestead I known only as Homestead and was a sitio of Pinagpanaan) Pioneering residents were from Pinagpanaan

  • Victorio Guillermo
  • Eugenio Guillermo
  • Casimiro Guillermo
  • Alfredo Agustin
  • Mateo Tolentino
  • Francisco Domingo
  • Pablo Grospe
  • Apolonio Guillermo
  • Eugenio Tolentino
  • Pantaleon Sigue
  • Eusequio Guillermo
  • Florencio Ramos
  • Francisco Domingo
  • Marcelino Labrador
  • Mariano Santiago
  • Victor de Jesus
  • Teodoro Santos
  • Igmedio San Pedro

Homestead II (see Homestead I)

  • Roman Bondoc
  • Pedro Marcial
  • Agustin San Pedro
  • Casimiro dela Cruz
  • Meliton Rufino
  • Cirilo dela Cruz
  • Leoncio Ramos
  • Pablo Ibarra
  • Hermogenes San Pedro
  • Pablo de Jesus
  • Gregorio San Pedro
  • Eustaquio San Pedro
  • Gabriel San Pedro
  • Francisco dela Cruz

Kinalanguyan (former part of Hacienda Jacinto) Origin of pioneers: Sto. Domingo, Asingan, and Bolinao, Pangasinan

  • Fernando Gabigan
  • Silvestre Garcia
  • Nicolas Gragasin
  • Emilio Garcia
  • Pedro Garcia
  • Pablo Taruc
  • Valentin Regaton
  • Benito Fausto

La Torre (considered as the oldest barrio of Talavera)

  • Matias Parica
  • Florentino Hernandez
  • Cirilo Sanepa
  • Felix Sanepa
  • Nicolas Carlos
  • Aniceto Pineda
  • Valentino Guillermo
  • Miguel Gloria
  • Anacleto Sanggalang
  • Ramon Manuzon
  • Delfin Calbay
  • Aniceto Alvaran
  • Luis Mesde
  • Bonifacio Domingo
  • Nicasio Galvez
  • Regino Calahi
  • Pablo Sta Maria
  • Feliciano Chioco
  • Emilio Chioco
  • Eustaquio Obejas
  • Melencio Matias
  • Jose Guillermo
  • Leon Juanchon
  • Dionisio Cajucom
  • Fidel Balmonte
  • Francisco Batac
  • Agapito Clauren
  • Julio Dalangin
  • Fernando Candelaria
  • Pedro Chioco
  • Sancho Juachon
  • Raymundo Gloria
  • Julio Gloria
  • Arsenio Gloria


Mabuhay (formerly known as Sitio Cudlit of baranggay Collado)

  • Leopoldo Santiago
  • Eugenio Baltao
  • Dominador Vallarta

Maestrang Kikay (formerly a constituent area of the Poblacion)

Mamandil (formerly known as Sitio Ikmuhan) Origin of pioneers: Mamandil, Aliaga, Nueva Ecija

Marcos (see Poblacion Sur)

Matias (former part of Poblacion and was called Luna)

Matingkis (a former part of Hacienda Cojuanco) Origin of pioneers: Ilocos; Pangasinan; Tarlac; and Aliaga, San Jose, and Nampicuan, Nueva Ecija

Minabuyok (former sitio of Pula) Origin of pioneers: Cuyapo, Nueva Ecija; Bulacan; Cabanatuan, Papaya, and Gapan, Nueva Ecija

  • Cristituto Velasquez
  • Luis Tapang
  • Sotero Caisip
  • Juan Natividad
  • Narciso Francisco
  • Basilio Jumaquio
  • Francisco Bolisay
  • Gregorio Velasquez
  • Saturnino Arenas
  • Saturnino dela Cruz
  • Flaviano Calanday
  • Francisco Diaz
  • Tomas delos Santos


  • Rufina Sujeco
  • Faustina Valino
  • Guevarra family
  • Valenton family

Paludpod (former sitio of San Ricardo)

  • Meliton Rufino
  • Mateo Hidalgo, Sr.
  • Felix Mariano
  • Engracio Hidalgo
  • Santos Hidalgo
  • Basilio Hidalgo
  • Pedro Manangguit
  • Remigio Manuel
  • Braulio Rufino
  • Felimon Averin
  • Guillermo Manuel
  • Pedro Marcial
  • Florencio Pablo
  • Pedro Salazar
  • Anselmo Domingo
  • Eusebio de Gracia
  • Saturnino Dayao
  • Anastacio Manuel
  • Lorenzo Pulbosa
  • Melencio Abarrientos
  • Carlito Orlando
  • Mauro Peña
  • Macario Punay
  • Antonio Ramos

Pantoc Bulac (former part of Bulac)

  • Martin Gamino
  • Alberto Ramos
  • Antonio Hipolito
  • Alfredo Gamino
  • Leodovico Irang
  • Juan Sacatrapos
  • Florentino Irang
  • Ireneo Zulueta
  • Pedro Sacro (later, the following acquired lots in the place)
  • Francisco Santiago
  • Gregorio Laureano
  • Pablo Alimbango
  • Amado Aquino
  • Aquilino Angel
  • Pablo Francisco
  • Santiago Agbannawag
  • Eugenio Gamino

Pinagpanaan (one of the oldest barrios of Talavera) See Baluga and San Miguel na Munti for pioneers

Poblacion Sur

  • Alejandro family
  • Aquino family
  • Cipriano family
  • de la Cruz family
  • Manabat family
  • Mendez family
  • Mendoza family
  • Santos family
  • Sebastian family
  • Puselero family
  • Valencia family
  • Villacorte family

Pula Discovered by people from Mayapyap, Cabanatuan

  • Florentino Agapito
  • Candido Balagtas
  • Anastacio Punzal
  • Gregorio Bondoc
  • Silvino Cajucom
  • Marcelo Agapito
  • Urbano Agapito
  • Venancio Diaz
  • Rafael dela Cruz
  • Benjamin Agapito
  • Benigno Bondoc
  • Maximo Bondoc
  • Lorenzo Saplala
  • Severino Ermino
  • Anacleto dela Cruz
  • Luis Ramos
  • Gregorio dela Cruz
  • Benjamin Fernando
  • Casimiro Balagtas

Pulong San Miguel (formerly known as Pulong Capampangan) Residents originated from Pampanga and Bulacan

  • Capulong family
  • Bautista family
  • Paulino family

Sampaloc (formerly called sitio Balasiwak and was a single sitio with another sitio of the same name, and once a single barrio with Gulod known as Sampaloc-Gulod)

  • Ignacio Maliwat
  • Marcos Miranda
  • Arsenio Tiongson

San Miguel na Munti Residents originated from San Miguel de Mayumo, Bulacan

  • Manuel Castelo
  • Magdalena Joson Sevilla
  • Amada de Leon
  • Meliton Carlos

San Pascual (formerly known as Langayangan)

  • Pascual Tinio (Kabesang Pascual Tinio)
  • Celestino Balingcongan
  • Clemente Ramon
  • Santiago delos Santos
  • Victoria Ilarde
  • Severo Ilarde
  • Efipanio Ramon
  • Leon Blicanot
  • Moises Diamonon
  • Marcos Bilog
  • Gregorio Sta. Ines
  • Severa Petronila Alimbango
  • Isidro Ignacio
  • Gabriel Adriano
  • Albino Garcia
  • Pablo Pagaduan
  • Alejandro Pagaduan
  • Apolonio Pagaduan
  • Teodoro Adriano
  • Estanislao Ignacio
  • Fidel Aquino
  • Hilario Garcia
  • Apolonio Naco
  • Graciano Balingcongan
  • Benjamin Ramos
  • Tomas Alarcon
  • Estanislao Genchez
  • Meliton Alcantara
  • Sotero Malaca
  • Juan Malaca
  • Alfonzo Ortiz
  • Matias delos Santos
  • Lucio Capili
  • Francisco Genchez
  • Gregorio Alarcon
  • Basilio Alarcon
  • Cirilo Balagtas
  • Julian Manahan
  • Donato Mallari
  • Felipe Atendido
  • Tomas dela Cruz
  • Leoncio Sabacan
  • Tito Alejo
  • Jacob Macaranas
  • Pablo delos Santos
  • Gregorio Genchez
  • Francisco Balingcongan
  • Amado Sarmiento
  • Andres dela Cruz
  • Albino delos Santos
  • Pructoso Ortiz

San Ricardo

(former sitio of Casili, a barrio now constituent of Llanera, Nueva Ecija) Origin of residents: Batac, Ilocos Norte; San Miguel, Bulacan; Papaya, Peñaranda, Sto. Domingo, and Gapan, Nueva Ecija
  • Ricardo Peñaranda

Sibul (former part of Hacienda Jacinto and Llamas) Origin of residents: Jaen and Quezon, Nueva Ecija; and Bulacan

  • Gregorio Francisco
  • Atelano Japitana
  • Esteban Madarang
  • Roberto Fausto
  • Braulio Puno
  • Canuto Carlos
  • Carlos Vasquez
  • Anacleto Ignacio
  • Paulino Fausto

Sicsican Matanda (formerly known as Pinagbarilan)

  • Hospicio Bonifacio
  • Santiago Domingo
  • Andres Sorsa
  • Eduardo Alimbango
  • Faustino Atendido
  • Pablo Bote
  • Domingo Rollege
  • Genaro Navarro
  • Andres Jose
  • Eustaquio Ponce
  • Herminigildo Bondoc
  • Jacinto Agluba
  • Marcelo Rayo
  • Atanacio Aquino
  • Francisca Maglilong
  • Escal family
  • Castillo family
  • Palomo family


(formerly known as Puting Kahoy, former part of Hacienda Llamas then Hacienda de Leon)

Tagaytay (former part of Hacienda Llamas)

Valle (former part of Hacienda Llamas)

  • Esteban Pablo
  • E. Labasan
  • Cecilio Castillo
  • Cecilio Olar
  • Segundo Sumait
  • Simeon Pablo
  • Pascuala Marcos
  • Felix Estabillo
  • Juan dela Cruz
  • Blas Bueno
  • Guillermo Tomas
  • Narciso Olar
  • Alfonso Ancheta
  • Alejandro Matamis
  • Santiago Matamis
  • Felipe Villanueva
  • Francisco de Guzman
  • Dominador Amboya
  • Ignacio Escumbien From Aliaga, San Leonardo, Cabiao, and Natividad, Nueva Ecija:
  • Martin Maningas
  • Dominador Amboya
  • Ignacio Escumbien
  • Felix Ancheta
  • Celestino Olar


Note: Contributors are welcome to improve this project. The descendants of those whose profiles are included here are highly encouraged to build their family trees.

-Andrew B. Miranda, the project creator

This project includes profiles of the different historical figures and prominent persons such as past public servants, celebrities from different fields, and any person, resident of not, who contributed to the foundation, development, and progress of Talavera, Nueva Ecija.

A brief chronological order of the most important historical events in the foundation and development of Talavera, Nueva Ecija:

  • 1700 Foundation of the Agustininian mission of Cabanatuan. This mission includes the old barrios of La Torre, Pinagpanaang, Calipahan, Valle, Baloc, Pulong Buli, Mamandil, Concepcion, and Catuguian (Talavera).
  • 1846 A visita was founded in Catuguian by the Augustinian missionaries.
  • July 1852 The residents of Catuguian made a petition to separate their barrio from Cabanatuan and make it a town.
  • August 31, 1852 Don Aniceto Muñoz, alcalde mayor of Cabanatuan, presented the petition to the Governor General in Manila.
  • September 4, 1852 Gov. Gen. Antonio de Urbiztondo received the petition.
  • November 5 1852 The archbishop of Manila Jose Arangueren de San Agustin, ORSA, received the petition.
  • November 6, 1852 The petition with the seal of approval from the Archbishop of Manila was sent back to the Governor General.
  • November 12 1852 The archbishop of Manila assigned Catuguian under the care of Agustianian priests of Cabanatuan.
  • December 11, 1852 Catuguian was recognized as a town separate from Cabanatuan through a decree by the Governor General, El excelentísimo Don Juan Antonio de Urbiztondo y Eguía. Don Antonio delos Santos, parish priest of Cabanatuan, lead the appointment of town leaders and assigned Fr. Estanislao Pascual to attend to the spiritual needs of the people especially during Sundays and Holy days of obligation. The barrios of Pinagpanaan, La Torre, Concepcion, Calipahan, Mamandil, Baloc, Malayantoc, and Pulong Buli were included into the newly founded town. Some of those who became the first town leaders are Don Herminigildo de Talavera, Capitan Juan (Capitan Kua kua), and Andres Sigue, to name a few.
  • February 4, 1853 The alcalde mayor of Cabanatuan informed the higher authority the request of the people of Catuguian to change their town's name into Talavera dela prinsesa o dela corona but it shall only be called Talavera.
  • February 11, 1853 The request to change the town's name into Talavera was approved by the Governor General.
  • November 2, 1872 The king of Spain approved the changing of Catuguian's name into Talavera.


  • @Padre Gregorio Lugo Crisostomo


  • El Excelentísimo Don Juan Antonio de Urbiztondo y Eguía
  • Don Aniceto Muñoz
  • Herminigildo de Talavera
  • Capitan Juan
  • Andres Sugue


  • Juan Lorenzo Calayag Tiongson
  • Quirino Wy


  • Francisca Ferry


  • Errecciones de Pueblos, Nueva Ecija (tomo 1).,National Archives
  • Ancheta, Mark & Reyes, Adonis.,RECUERDOS Memories of a Parish, 2009
  • Pagaduan, Tomas I., Kasaysayan ng Talavera, Nueva Ecija

Note: Contributors are welcome to improve this project. The descendants of those whose profiles are included here are highly encouraged to build their family trees.

-Andrew Miranda, the project creator