Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

University of Western Ontario

« Back to Projects Dashboard

view all

Profiles

  • Robert Earl Lemon (1933 - 2012)
    Obituary: Professor of biology at McGill University 1965-1999.
  • James Thomas Lemon (1929 - 2012)
    Professor James T. Lemon, professor emeritus of geography, passed away early on Tuesday, January 31. Originally from West Lorne in southwestern Ontario, he received a BA from the University of Wester...
  • Kevin O'Leary
    Terence Thomas Kevin O'Leary (born 9 July 1954) is a Canadian businessman, author, politician, and television personality. From 2004 to 2014, he appeared on various Canadian television shows, includi...
  • Jacob Howard Switzer (1956 - 2018)
    Jay's quiet contributions and commitment to community and country have been recognized with awards including the Friend of Women in Film and Television (Toronto) Award (1994), the Queen's Jubilee Medal...
  • David Caplan (1964 - 2019)
    David Caplan (November 15, 1964 – July 25, 2019) was a Canadian politician in Ontario, Canada. He was a member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario who represented the ridings of Oriole and Don Val...

The University of Western Ontario (UWO), branded as Western University, is a public research university located in London, Ontario, Canada.

The university was founded on 7 March 1878 by Bishop Isaac Hellmuth of the Anglican Diocese of Huron as "The Western University of London Ontario." It incorporated Huron University College, which had been founded in 1863. The first four faculties were Arts, Divinity, Law and Medicine. The Western University of London was eventually made non-denominational in 1908.

According to the 2012 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) rankings, the university ranked 201–300 in the world and 8-17 of 22 in Canada. The 2011 QS World University Rankings ranked the university 157th in the world, making it seventh in Canada. Several of Western's programs were also ranked in individual rankings. Social sciences at Western was ranked 96th in the world in the 2010 QS World University Rankings, and Western's Ivey Business School was ranked 1st in the World in the Global MBA Category of Bloomberg Businessweek.

Western's Co-educational Student body of over 24,000 represents 107 countries around the world and Western scholars have established research and education collaborations and partnerships on every continent. There are more than 306,000 alumni who are active internationally, living and working around the globe. Notable alumni include government officials, academics, business leaders, Nobel Laureates, Rhodes Scholars, and distinguished fellows.

The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry is the combined medical school and dental school of UWO. The medical and dental schools merged in 1997.

Western's varsity teams, known as the Western Mustangs, compete in the Ontario University Athletics conference of the Canadian Interuniversity Sport.

History

The university was founded on 7 March 1878 by Bishop Isaac Hellmuth of the Anglican Diocese of Huron as The Western University of London Ontario, and its first chancellor was Chief Justice Richard Martin Meredith. It incorporated Huron University College, which had been founded in 1863. The first four faculties were Arts, Divinity, Law and Medicine, and there were originally only 15 students when classes began in 1881. The first of these students graduated in 1883. The Western University of London was eventually made non-denominational in 1908.

In 1916, the current site of the university was purchased from the Kingsmill family. There are two World War I Memorial plaques in University College: The first lists the names of 19 students and graduates of the University of Western Ontario who lost their lives; the second honours the men from Middlesex County who fell. A third plaque lists those who served with the No. 10 Canadian General hospital during WWII, the unit raised and equipped by UWO.

In 1923, the university was renamed The University of Western Ontario.[9] The first two buildings constructed by architect John Moore and Co. at the new site were the Arts Building (now University College) and the Natural Science Building (now the Physics and Astronomy Building). Classes on the present site of the school began in 1924. The University College tower, one of the most distinctive features of the University, was named the Middlesex Memorial Tower in honour of the men from Middlesex County who had fought in World War I.

In 1919 the Ursuline Sisters had established Brescia College as a Roman Catholic affiliate, and in the same year Assumption College in Windsor affiliated with the university; it later evolved into the University of Windsor in 1953. Before the end of the affiliation, Assumption College was one of the largest colleges associated with the University. Similarly, Waterloo College of Arts became affiliated with Western in 1925; which eventually became today, the Wilfrid Laurier University (1960), emphasizing liberal arts, and the University of Waterloo, emphasizing engineering and science. St. Peter's College seminary of London, Ontario was later became affiliated with Western in 1939, and it eventually became King's College, an arts college. Today, King's, Huron and Brescia colleges are all still affiliates of Western.

Two World War II memorial honour rolls are hung on the Physics and Astronomy Building: the first lists the names of the UWO students and graduates who served in the Second World War, and the second lists those who served with the No. 10 Canadian General hospital during WWII, the unit raised and equipped by UWO.

Although enrollment was relatively small for many years, the university began to increase greatly in size after World War II. The university saw the addition of a number of new faculties in the post-war period, such as the Faculty of Graduate Studies (1947), the School of Business Administration (now the Ivey Business School) (1949), the Faculty of Engineering Science (now the Faculty of Engineering) (1957), the Faculty of Law (1959), and Althouse College for education students (now the Faculty of Education) (1963) and the Faculty of Music (1968).

In 2012, the university rebranded itself as "Western University". The legal name of the university, however, remains The University of Western Ontario.