Velo Grablje, otok Hvar
It is a traditional stone village just below the old road from Hvar Town to Stari Grad, with outstanding views and rich in history, for Velo Grablje used to be the capital of lavender in all Dalmatia.
Velo Grablje is a village located about 10 kilometers, by either the old road or the new road, from the town of Hvar. With the villages of Zaraće and Malo Grablje, it comprises the immediate surroundings of Hvar and a special rural setting on this part of the island. Velo Grablje was established in the 15th century. Even today it has preserved its archaeological, cultural and historical monuments, some of which date from prehistoric times. The Church of St. Vid is a beautifully preserved example of Old Croatian architecture of the ninth to twelfth century. The local church of St. Kuzma and Damjan was built in 1886 on the location of an earlier structure from the 16th century. With its wall paintings from 1913-1914, it is one of the most beautiful village churches in the Hvar Diocese.
St. Kuzma and Damjan are the patron saints and protectors of the village, which stages a large annual celebration on their feast day, September 26.
Population: 21 (2001)
Popis stanovnika iz 1673. godine (Census of 1673)
- BUDROVIĆ Grgo 6, Jadrig (Giadrig) 4
- PETRIĆ Nikola 8, Petar 5
- ZANINOVIĆ Bartul (Bertuccio) 6, Ivan 8, Juraj 5, Vicko 9
Zanimanja nisu zabilježena, a samo Bartul ima slugu Marka Kantala (Cantalo) iz Stargo Grada.
Extracted from Nevenka Bezić-Božanić's work THE CENSUS OF THE ISLAND OF HVAR FROM 1673 published in Čakavska rič, Split 1991, br.1.