Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Westminster College, Cambridge

« Back to Projects Dashboard

view all

Profiles

  • John Pelham Bishop of Norwich (1811 - 1894)
    ) John Thomas Pelham (21 June 1811 – 1 May 1894), styled The Honourable from birth, was a British Anglican clergyman. Background and education He was the third son of Thomas Pelham, 2nd Earl of C...
  • Henry Thomas Pelham, 3rd Earl of Chichester (1804 - 1886)
    Henry Thomas Pelham, 3rd Earl of Chichester DL (25 August 1804 – 15 March 1886), styled Lord Pelham until 1826, was an English nobleman. Background and education Pelham was born on Stratton Stree...
  • Sir Roger Norrington CBE (1934 - d.)
    Roger Arthur Carver Norrington CBE (born 16 March 1934) is a British conductor. He is the son of Sir Arthur Norrington and his brother is Humphrey Thomas Norrington. Norrington studied at The Royal...
  • Edward Southwell, 20th Baron de Clifford (1732 - 1777)
    Edward Southwell, 20th Baron de Clifford (6 June 1738 – 1 November 1777) was a British politician. He was the only son of Edward Southwell (1705–1755) of Kingsweston by his wife Catherine, daughter...
  • Sir Edward Ayscough, Kt., MP (1618 - 1668)
    From Wikipedia, April 2014: Sir Edward Ayscough (ca. 1618 - 13 August 1668) was an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1659. Ayscough was born at South Kelsey, Lincolnshire, the...

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_College,_Cambridge]

Westminster College in Cambridge is a theological college of the United Reformed Church, formerly the Presbyterian Church of England. Its principal purpose is training for the ordination of ministers, but is also used more widely for training within the denomination. The current principal of the college is the Revd Susan Durber and the vice-principal and director of studies is the Revd John Proctor.

The college was founded in London in 1844 with a temporary home in the Exeter Hall before moving to permanent premises in Queen's Square, London in 1859. It then moved to Cambridge in 1899 following the gift of a prime site of land near the centre of the city by two Scottish sisters, Agnes Smith Lewis and Margaret Dunlop Gibson, both noted biblical scholars. Following an appeal for funds from the wider Presbyterian congregation, the college commissioned a new building designed by Henry Hare and built between 1897–1899. In 1967 the college began to amalgamate with Cheshunt College, Cambridge, presaging the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian churches to form the United Reformed Church in 1972.

The college is not part of the University of Cambridge, but is united with six other religious colleges in Cambridge to form the Cambridge Theological Federation which is affiliated with the university. In concentrating on religious studies for training clergy, the college is in some ways closer to the original conception of the main university colleges when they were founded.