Related Projects:

Showing all 20 posts
Private User
5/21/2012 at 11:58 PM

Ethel Barrymore is an ex-partner?

Winston Churchill

Private User
5/22/2012 at 12:55 AM

Men everywhere were smitten with Ethel, most notably young Winston Churchill, who asked her to marry him. Not wishing to be a politician's wife, she refused. Winston, several years later, married Clementine Hozier, a ravishing beauty who looked very much like Ethel, but Winston and Ethel remained friends until the end of her life. Their “romance” was their own little secret until his son let the cat out of the bag 63 years after it happened.

Private User
5/22/2012 at 1:07 AM

If dalliances form part of the Geni tree, we should link JFK and Marylin Monroe.

This is genealogy for pity's sake - not a womens magazine.

Private User
5/22/2012 at 1:26 AM

I partly agree, - even if ex-partner is a valid connection option in genealogy we should limit us to list ex-partners when it resulted in children or was a relationship that played an important part of the involved persons life.

It is a case-to-case situation and if a marriage proposal is good enogh to be listed as an ex-partner can be discussed.

Private User
5/22/2012 at 1:34 AM

Geni tells me I am linked to Churchill via Ethel Barrymore. - does that make sense to you?

'Partner' surely implies at least living as if husband and wife.

Private User
5/22/2012 at 1:40 AM

If every refused marriage proposal is listed as an ex-partner, you're going to get some very embarrassed male Geni members.

5/22/2012 at 7:34 AM

Well then the most legitimate 'illegitimate' listing should be his famous sparring partner, Lady Astor:

Lady Astor: "Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!"
Winston Churchill: "Yes, and you, Madam, are ugly. But tomorrow, I shall be sober."

Lady Astor: "Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
Winston Churchill: "Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

5/24/2012 at 7:03 PM

Sir Winston Churchill is my nineth cousin :)

Private User
5/24/2012 at 7:09 PM

Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom is your 7th cousin thrice removed.

5/24/2012 at 11:09 PM

Sir Winston Churchill is my 8th cousin 1R through our common ancestor Thomas Stowe, Sr.

5/25/2012 at 7:49 AM

Sir Winston Churchill is my 11th cousin through his mother Jeanette Porch and also my 11th cousin through his father John Winston Spencer-Churchill, 7th Duke of Marlborough . Both sides related to the Olds.

Sir Winston Churchill, is my 7th cousin 6 times removed

Private User
5/25/2012 at 4:43 PM

Should Ethel Barrymore be on the tree as an ex-partner of Churchill?

5/26/2012 at 12:44 PM

Winston Churchill is gentleman with all his weaknesses and difficulties I am proud to have a connection with through his mother. Winston is my 5th great-aunt's 2nd great-uncle's wife's 6th great nephew. This line is through the Southard line which has also paid a big part in the history of the United States.

5/30/2012 at 2:13 AM

I do not think the word "partner" is appropriate. I doubt that they co habited in any way in those days.

Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom is your 11th cousin.

Private User
5/30/2012 at 7:14 AM

Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom is my 10th cousin once removed.Very interesting@cousin Sherry Reiger, also through
his mother Jeanette Porch ,Amazing how we are all connected to this Great Man.

5/30/2012 at 7:39 AM

Yes, Anne - I think I agree - some degree of cohabitation is at least indicated, maybe Ofir Friedman who curates Winston can give us his thoughts about what should be done.

5/30/2012 at 10:14 AM

Ethel Barrymore should not be regarded as a 'partner' of Sir Winston.

Private User
5/30/2012 at 6:47 PM

Ethel is no longer linked. Thanks!

6/4/2017 at 8:39 PM

Churchill is my 21th cousin

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion