Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 11 posts
Private User
5/2/2014 at 1:05 AM

(unknown) van die Kaap, PROG

She must be PROG?

5/2/2014 at 1:18 AM

Lol. Yes. Revolutionizing SA genealogy one profile at a time :-)

Private User
5/3/2014 at 2:49 AM

YIP Why not. LOL

Private User
5/3/2014 at 6:17 AM

My thinking is that a woman with van die Kaap/van de Kaap etc. as a name was born in South Africa and is not SV/PROG because her mother is not known or established. The question arises is she PROG or SM? I have for the time being listed her as PROG but easily changed at this as there aren't that many labelled as yet!

How about one of our old favourites Catharina Maré, PROG ? Is she PROG? The SM/PROG being the ancestral SM/PROG of Gerrit Jansz Van Vuuren - turns out to be Suzanne de Vos, SM/PROG !!

5/3/2014 at 6:26 AM

To my mind. Catharina is the oldest mother of the family to come out on the boat - hence PROG. Not married to an SV, so not an SM.

Unknown Profile is a PROG, but not married to an SV, so not an SM. Is she another widow who comes out with her son?

Is this Suzanne de Vos, SM/PROG a different woman? Or am I missing something again :-)

5/3/2014 at 6:35 AM

=My thinking is that a woman with van die Kaap/van de Kaap etc. as a name was born in South Africa and is not SV/PROG because her mother is not known or established. The question arises is she PROG or SM? I have for the time being listed her as PROG but easily changed at this as there aren't that many labelled as yet!=

Tentative thoughts. The oldest woman we can identify should be the PROG (we can always push it back a generation if we get more names.)
Justification: (maybe weak :-( ) in the period of the European PROGS many/most of the indigenous PROGS will have been amongst the first of their generations to move into the Cape Colony's initial borders.

If we do the same for their male partners, they would be PROGS too, but only SVs once they we have them starting a surname line?

Private User
5/3/2014 at 8:12 AM

Makes sense!

Private User
5/3/2014 at 8:20 AM

Back to de Vos - Judi is talking about the same person - have merged them - just need to sort out the husbands

http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g5/p5211.htm

Private User
5/3/2014 at 8:35 AM

Sorted de Vos - van Vuuren was married to `Susanne Jacobs, daughter of Suzanne de Vos. I think when you are sure of the three Susannes Sharon you will need to lock them because people do merge them!!!

5/3/2014 at 9:21 AM

THanks June.
I locked: In doing so, Private User it removed the curatorship from you to me - Just take it back if you want to be doing the maintenance on it.

Private User
5/4/2014 at 12:15 AM

Tahnks Sharon. Have explained that Susanne(Susanna) so many time snad added sources bur it keeps diappearing and I just don't have the nerve or the "lus" to battle with people taking the MH as sources and believe them as it was there Bibles. Also there are just people, real humans that makes human mistakes. But this match this and one name in 1 block is as far as I am concerned the biggest problem. No one read or understand our guidelines and if they do they prefer to ignore it. Today I feel like June and want to say "I give up and it not lekker here any more".
Love Juds

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion