Powerful Women in a Men's World

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, January 30, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts
1/30/2015 at 4:18 AM

I keep coming across semi-invisible (by which, I suppose I mean to HIStory ;-)) women, who quite obviously wield power or change their society behind the scenes of (& often by manipulating) the males whose stories are told, and I can't find a good project to attach them to - in order to give them a trace on Geni.

There are lots of projects for great women, who do impressive things (especially era-specific projects) - but none that encompass women who affect the course of their society by other means as well -
eg by divorcing one king and offering yourself to whoever beats him, causing a battle that wipes out most of the Irish nobility at Clonrarf: Gormflaith ingen Murchada O'Faelain
by quietly manipulating the politics of the colonial government (Nonesi Great House Wife, Twice regent of the abaThembu);
or killing off their powerful son-in-laws or husbands to change the balance of power: Anseflede

1/30/2015 at 4:30 AM

Sharon Doubell "In a Men's World" seems a little redundant, since till relatively recently that was the norm. The two projects below might fit the criteria, unless you tighten the parameters of the title to be a little more specific.

1. http://www.geni.com/projects/Women-who-changed-the-world/5790

2. http://www.geni.com/projects/Legendary-Heroines/1024

1/30/2015 at 4:39 AM

Oh sorry - crossposted Malka.

I looked at those two and thought about
1. These women changed their own societies, but not the world - eg not Marie Curie
2. They were definitely not all heroines

So, the construct I'm going for seemed to have more to do with 'manipulating' their access to power through their relationships to the powerful men they were attached to. Hence 'Men's World'.

Happy to Brainstorm

1/30/2015 at 4:46 AM

An example, for the sake of trying to pinpoint the construct that I'm feeling isn't covered by any project:
Lady Godiva would fit Project 2. (she was a heroine) and would also fit into this one because what she did was manipulate her noble husband to make a social change by using her position as his wife.

Gloria Steinem, however - fits 2 - as a heroine, but she is very visible on her own terms, not by dint of her relationship to powerful men. So wouldn't fit this project.

1/30/2015 at 4:50 AM

All of our projects here acknowledge powerful women ONLY if what they did was laudable.
But history acknowledges powerful men irrespective.

1/30/2015 at 4:53 AM

Sharon Doubell Oh, now I get it. Something like "Powerful Women Conquering Male Dominance".

1/30/2015 at 4:55 AM

Well, yes, but not necessarily conquering.

1/30/2015 at 4:56 AM

... thinks. Stuck. ...

1/30/2015 at 5:03 AM

Triumphant, Prevailing, Ascending, Scaling and so on and so forth. But, your title might be more catchy, and you have outlined the parameters quite clearly in the project, so don't worry about it. Great project idea!

1/30/2015 at 5:05 AM

Women who manipulate political power (not for or against men)

1/30/2015 at 5:07 AM

Diplomacy? "Diplomatic Powerful Women in a Men's World"
BTW, ironically, I happen to think you profile photo makes a perfect image for the project!

1/30/2015 at 5:09 AM

I'm open to incorporating it in one of the other projects - I hate duplication - but I can't see how that would be done without changing their scope to exclude laudability as an entrance criteria :-)

1/30/2015 at 5:09 AM

"Powerful Perceptive Women . . ."

1/30/2015 at 5:12 AM

Giggle. I didn't murder anyone to ride the camel, and it certainly didn't have any big political effect :-)
Accidentally showing my bra strap in the Semiramis Hotel, and insisting on riding in the front seat with my driver when I was in Egypt - did appear to have earthshattering implications for the men involved though :-)

1/30/2015 at 5:15 AM

Hmm - some of these women murdered people to change their society to suit themselves/ their kids. I don't think that's what you mean by perceptive :-)

1/30/2015 at 5:17 AM

Sharon Doubell "Tactful Powerful Women in a Men's World".

1/30/2015 at 5:19 AM

"Powerful Women's Strategic Influence in a Men's World".

1/30/2015 at 5:24 AM

Sharon Doubell ". . . showing my bra strap in the Semiramis Hotel, and insisting on riding in the front seat with my driver when I was in Egypt" certainly qualifies bucking the system, and showing rare spunk!

1/30/2015 at 5:25 AM

Sharon Doubell Just keep the original title, it is catchy and succinct.

1/30/2015 at 5:36 AM

:-) I put a post on FB that we were having this discussion - so maybe we'll get more opinions.

(The bra strap was accidental - I was late for an appointment and hadn't tucked it in in my hurry - I had no idea there were men in the world for whom this was titillating. So ugh.
The front seat - well yes, that was on purpose :-))

1/30/2015 at 6:03 AM

Great Thread Topic and I would like to contribute, this little list, of which, some are on Geni, too, as far as I know!!! ;-)

Please, pardon the French. heehee! It´s all for the sake of research and information, towards this Topic! :-))

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/historical-women-who-gave-no-fcks

1/30/2015 at 6:22 AM

Hmm - I like that topic name - even if it is in French :-)
I'll suggest it to The Geni CEO. Watch this space.... :-)

1/30/2015 at 6:29 AM

:-D <3

1/30/2015 at 6:49 AM

My first thought is that you're going to have a very big list! I'd nominate Eleanor of Aquitaine -- or would you feel she is too well known? Then, there's Maura "the Red" McMahon, wife of Conor O'Brien. She had 25 husbands, which should earn her a spot somewhere.
Also, Katherine Constable, wife #2 of Sir Simon Constable. She poisoned 3 people & her murder trial changed English Dower law (she was acquitted).

1/30/2015 at 7:08 AM

Yes - that's the idea. :-) Add them all.
A line or two - exactly like the above - in the About - would be a bonus, though not necessary if you don't have time.

1/30/2015 at 7:34 AM

From where I sit, you might as well just call it "Women" ;))

1/30/2015 at 8:15 AM

Nah - believe it or not - many of us are quite feeble :-)

Private
1/30/2015 at 8:23 AM

Tongue in cheek Sharon Doubell what about our very own DAisy. I researched and photographed her estate.☺

1/30/2015 at 8:30 AM

I'm from Wyoming - the Equality State. It was the first state to give women the vote and the first state to have a woman governor. No doubt that left an indelible stamp on the women in my family and warped my world view ;)

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion