Curators: My profile is good enough to be a Master Profile!

Started by Mike Stangel on Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1-30 of 884 posts
3/14/2017 at 3:17 PM

(continuation of https://www.geni.com/discussions/142974)

See http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Master_Profile for a description of Master Profiles on Geni.

Before posting here, please check a few things:

- Please try your hardest to connect your profile to the tree (or at least a significant stand-alone tree)
- Please check https://www.geni.com/curators first to see if there's a specific curator who specializes in your area, to whom you should address your request
- Please make sure your profile is well-written with proper grammar and punctuation, and where possible, source citations.

3/14/2017 at 6:04 PM

Andrew Quinn Champion, "Wikipedia" may be grammatically correct but it is hardly the stuff of a quality MP: Kiki Bokassa.

If i was to make her an MP i would feel obliged to add a Curator Note (and or edit the About) to explain who this person is.

Why do you think this profile needs MPing? It's not high quality or high traffic, is there a high risk of bad merges or is she a notable person (not to be rude but reading the Wikipedia page i suspect she thinks she is a lot more notable than she really is).

3/14/2017 at 6:10 PM

I have MP'd the father and son Jean-Bédels due to potential bad merges from mis-matches with same name, which is a perfectly legitimate reason for requesting MP.

Private User
3/15/2017 at 12:34 AM

I had replied, but for some bizarre reason Alex's replies weren't showing for me and I didn't see that he'd addressed some points already. Sorry!

But I wanted to note that:

1) I added a photo, project, and brief biographical snippet for Barthélemy Boganda. Those are good things to do pre-MP.

2) According to the very helpful list of curators that Mike linked, Kenneth Kwame Welsh, (C) and Sharon Doubell are the curators who work on African political leaders.

Private User
3/15/2017 at 12:38 AM

(And thank you very much for helping to build our African branches!)

Private User
3/15/2017 at 2:39 AM

George J. Homs do you want to curate Sir Edward Bagnall Poulton since you're the manager?

3/15/2017 at 2:43 AM

Kiki has a linkedin profile which includes a photo and more detailed bio which wki seems to have copied

Private User
3/15/2017 at 7:04 AM

There honestly doesn't seem to be any question that Kiki Bokassa is a notable artist. She has extensive press clippings, is referenced in books, has 1,000+ fans (not friends) on Facebook, is from an important family, etc. She'd be a natural fit for our Female Artists project. She just needs more of a profile.

Abou Elyas is our only curator listing Lebanese genealogy as an interest. Ali, would you be interested in curating Kiki's profile? If not, I'll do it.

3/15/2017 at 7:18 AM

Frederick Spencer Chapman
I think he really deserves it

3/15/2017 at 8:32 AM

Private User,

Ronald William Palmer Poulton may be someone that you should curate.

3/15/2017 at 8:44 AM

Tommaso Valarani,

I've mastered John Ryle.

3/15/2017 at 8:44 AM

Private User,

Another one that you may want to curate: Frederick Spencer Chapman.

3/15/2017 at 9:07 AM

Thanks Private User - I've Curated Andrew Quinn Champion's profile for Barthélemy Boganda. As you say, we desperately need more African genealogies on geni.

Private User
3/15/2017 at 9:47 AM
3/16/2017 at 11:11 AM
Private User
3/16/2017 at 2:51 PM
3/16/2017 at 6:24 PM

I have curated Richard Harris. Happy for another Curator to take over.

I would like to suggest that copying entire wikipedia articles into Geni profiles as has been done here is not best practice. Short excerpts are fine, especially if the wiki page has a Early Life paragraph, i imagine that he would have a IMDB profile and probably numerous other reputable show biz journals which would reduce reliance on wikipedia. Remember wikipedia is an open crowd source site, like Geni they don't guarantee any of the information so cross checking is a good idea. Also using the Talk tab on a wikipedia page can help identify if there is controversy about the subject.

3/16/2017 at 7:06 PM

Can someone make Rabbi Yehudah Zev Segal, Manchester Rosh Hayeshiva into a master profile?

3/16/2017 at 7:14 PM

Yehuda Rubin, done

3/16/2017 at 7:15 PM

Jim Wile Thank you!

3/16/2017 at 7:18 PM

Yehuda Rubin, the death date on his obituary differs from the one on profile - died Manchester 13 February 1993.

3/16/2017 at 7:25 PM

Tommaso Valarani, MPs are now in place.

Private User
3/16/2017 at 8:33 PM

Richard Harris, Thanks Alex. I don't think I added the entire wikipedia article, looking at the revision history it looks like the about me was edited back in 2015 when the profile was merged by "The Geni Team".

Private User
3/16/2017 at 8:47 PM

Cassandra Harris-Brosnan

Australian Actress, Bond Girl "For Your Eyes Only" wife of Dermot Harris (Producer) and Pierce Brosnan (Actor)

Private User
3/16/2017 at 8:58 PM

Tom Roberts

Australian artist

Private User
3/16/2017 at 9:03 PM

Jamie Harris

English actor, son of Richard Harris

3/16/2017 at 10:10 PM

Jason Scott Wills you are a manager of Cassandra, do you want to MP her?

3/16/2017 at 10:12 PM

Ronald, I wasn't sure if you copied the wikipedia page or someone else, i comment was just a statement of my opinion which perhaps others will read and consider.

Could you add a photo to Jamie's profile please.

Showing 1-30 of 884 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion