George Allen, of Sandwich - George Allen of Sandwich, source in England

Started by Richardson B. Allen on Wednesday, May 16, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
5/16/2018 at 5:24 PM

The English source of George Allen of Sandwich, MA, is not clear, although there are several suggestions. Searching for records in Somerset, there is a record in Cloford, Somerset: Año 1634: "[___]ph Allen als Cornish was married to Susan Kynge the xvii of Aprell." Although the left edge of the page of the parish register has been lost, it appears that the last two letters are p and h. Comparing the letters with other text on the same page confirm that the end of the name is "ph", probably the end of "Ralph." Plymouth Colony records in 1658 suggest that Ralph's sons John and Joseph were both born by 1640 or earlier, consistent with the marriage mentioned above. The first mention of Ralph wife's name was in 1676, Susanna, again consistent with the marriage above. Unfortunately there is no more mentions of Ralph in Cloford, suggesting that he lived somewhere else.

Looking for other records of people with the last name of "Allen als Cornish" in Somerset, there is a record of the marriage of a George Allen and Martha Harris in Wells, Somerset in 1607: Marriage of George Allen als Cornishe & Martha Harris, 5 Oct 1607 [St. Cuthbert's, Wells, Somerset, Dwelly's index to his transcripts of the Bishop's Transcripts of the Diocese of Bath & Wells, Somerset, cards, v. 1, Misc. & A-Atr, FHL Microfilm 0536582]. If I am right that Ralph Allen was George's first child, born between 1605-1610, then this would be consistent with the marriage of George above. Again, there are no children for this George in Wellls, although I have not yet gone through all the Wells records. There is the burial of a Martha Allen in Ubley, Somerset on 8 Sep 1622, consistent with gap in George's children from George (Jr.) born about 1619 and William or Matthew born in about 1627. But the record of the burial does not mention this Martha's husband.

An initial search for people of last name "Allen als Cornish" in Somerset shows a number of people in the area of Batcombe (Bruton, Chewton Mendip, Cloford, Frome, Nunney, Shepton Mallet and Wells), Batcombe is one of the most common sources of the passengers of George's ship. Cloford, where Ralph was married in 1634, is only about four miles from Batcombe.

Based on the limited records collected so far, the marriages of George and Ralph "Allen als Cornish (or Cornishe)" may provide a suggestion of where George came from in England. The records collected appear to show that both Ralph and George lived somewhere else than where they were married. I plan to continue looking for other records, since I have only gone through some of the records. I have attached a copy of what I have collected so far, a file called "Somerset records Allen als Cornish.pdf" (https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000078527426036&). Happy to discuss this idea!

5/16/2018 at 5:27 PM

I'm fond of Batcombe origins.

Have you looked through known associates in Sandwich and compared origins?

5/16/2018 at 6:38 PM

Just to extract what you mean about Somerset origin possibilities:

“In any event, our progenitor, George Allen, sailed 20 March 1635/6 (Old Style), in a ship whose name or captain were not recorded, out of Weymouth (fifty miles east of Plymouth) the largest port in Dorsetshire, bound for New England. He left with at least 106 other persons from 21 families under the leadership of Rev. Joseph Hall of Somersetshire, England. They landed at Boston, Massachusetts on the 6th of May, 1636--after spending 47 days at sea. ...”

——

As an aside, I am no longer a direct descendant. In theory I’m related to Francis Allen but I find the evidence linking him to George to be weak.

5/16/2018 at 7:10 PM

I'm aware of the Batcombe information and all the data on George in the colonies. Their ship was the Marygould (The Great Migration Newsletter, v. 7, no. 1, p. 2). The Great Migration Newsletter also has good discussions of the passengers of the Marygould. They show that George was NOT from Batcombe! The marriage of George and Martha was something that I didn't notice, only available through the Bishop's Transcripts because the Parish Registers start in 1609. It is difficult to search for the "Allen als Cornish" last name because few of the web sites can handle the complex name. I'm starting to look at the Somerset records in the FHL. I started years ago, but I was distracted and never went back. We'll see if I can find anything more.

I'm the one who suggested that Francis was not a son of George. Like The Great Migration, I still list Francis as a possible child of George. Only daughters, so no Y-DNA to test!

5/16/2018 at 7:47 PM

I’m so glad you’re on the case. He’s been so mixed up with other people, the clarity is refreshing.

5/18/2018 at 3:53 PM

A note on the first message. Turns out that the Martha Allen, d. 1622 in Ubley,, Somerset, was a daughter of a Francis Allen.

5/20/2018 at 11:36 AM

A few days ago, I started a discussion in the George Allen, of Sandwich profile about possible suggestions of George Allen and his son Ralph Allen in Somerset County, England prior to their immigration to the colonies. The suggestion is based only on two marriages, without any other supporting documentation. Both records are in Church of England records.
The record of the 17 April 1634 marriage is in Cloford, Somerset, of [Ral]ph Allen als (alias) Cornish and Susan Kynge (King). In 1538, England started to require each parish of the Church of England to record all baptisms, marriages and deaths (known as Parish Registers), although many of the records only start in the 1550’s to 1560’s. Some of the early Parish Registers have been lost, or the registers only go back years after the start of collecting the records. For example, the existing registers for Wells, Somerset, only start in 1609, about two years after the marriage of George Allen.
In some cases, records of the no longer existing registers are found in something called the “Bishop’s Transcripts”. Each parish was required each year to send transcripts of the baptisms, marriages and deaths in the parish. Unfortunately, the transcripts were sent as loose papers, and only a few of the transcripts for each parish still exist. For instance, the marriage in Wells, Somerset, 5 Oct 1607 of George Allen als (alias) Cornish and Martha Harris are in the Wells Bishop’s Transcripts. The Parish Register only starts in 1609.
The Parish Registers and at least some of the Bishop’s Transcripts have been copied in sites like https://familysearch.org/, https://www.findmypast.com/, https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/, https://parishregister.co.uk/, and https://www.freereg.org.uk/. So missing records such as baptisms of the children of George, and the baptism of Ralph, probably are not recorded in the Parish Registers or Bishop’s Transcripts. There are at least two possibilities for the lack of these records:
1) The appropriate Parish Registers or Bishop’s Transcripts have been lost;
2) It is possible that George was an Anabaptist. Rev. Joseph Hull, the leader of ship that included George Allen, has also been suggested to have been an Anabaptist. According to the dictionary, Anabaptist was “a Protestant sectarian of a radical movement arising in the 16th century and advocating the baptism and church membership of adult believers only, nonresistance, and the separation of church and state.” When the Society of Friends (Quakers) arose, some of the laws to fight the Quakers also applied to “Quakers and Anabaptists”.
The last note, the marriage of Ralph in 1634 was to a Susan King. In the few mentions of the wife of Ralph Allen of Sandwich, her name is listed as Susanna. I have found several families where a wife is listed as both Susan and Susanna. For example, between 1644-1654, the records of a George Allen of Boston list both Susan and Susanna as his wife. So I have no problem with the difference between the name Susan in the Cloford, Somerset, record and the name Susanna in the Sandwich records.

5/22/2018 at 4:57 PM

Another note. The names Allen als (alias) Cornish and Cornish als (alias) Allen are both used in Somerset. For instance look at the records in Bruton, Somerset, as listed in my earlier source (https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000078527426036&), which shows that both names were used. The word "Cornish" was related to Cornwell, of the West Country of England. The entry for the Cornish people in Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_people), has an sentence that states that "The name Cornwall and its demonym Cornish are derived from the Celtic Cornovii tribe." So it is possible that the Allen alias Cornish and Cornish alias Allen names may show that the families were derived from Cornwall. It would be interesting to see if the Y-DNA of descendants of George Allen have more similar Y-DNA in the area of Cornwall.

5/24/2018 at 2:01 PM

A final post for this discussion. Looking at the records, there are four last names that are related:
1) Allen (alias) Cornish
2) Cornish (alias) Allen
3) Cornish, and
4) Allen.
I have found several individuals or family which use two of these last names. For instance, I found other records of George Allen (alias) Cornithe of Wells, Somerset:

Family of George Allen
Marriage of George Allen alias Cornithe and Martha Harris, 5 Oct 1607, Wells, Somerset
Burial of Martha Cornish, wife of George Cornishe, 5 Apr 1614, Mells, Somerset
Burial of George Cornish, 17 Mar 1636, Mells, Somerset.

Clearly, this is not George Allen of Sandwich, MA, but note the variation of the last names. So the marriage of [Ral]ph "Allen (alias) Cornish" and Susan Kynge (King), 17 Apr 1634 in Cloford, Somerset, could be the same as Ralph "Allen" of Weymouth/Rehoboth/Sandwich, MA. After years of trying to find George Allen in England, I am starting to think that the marriage of Ralph Allen (alias) Cornish in 1634 in Cloford MAY be the only record in England of George's family. The Parish Registers of Batcombe start in 1646, after George had moved to the colonies. The Bishop's Transcripts have only one Allen, a John Allen baptized on 9 Jan 1612/3 with no father mentioned, 2-3 years after George's son John was born (Dwelly's index to his transcripts of the Bishop's Transcripts of the Diocese of Bath & Wells, Somerset, cards, v. 1, Misc. & A-Atr, FHL Microfilm 0536582). I'll look at the film of the original records, to see if I missed anything, but giving the lack of a Parish Register of the right date, it is quite possible that George and his family came from Batcombe. The fact that Ralph was married only about 4 miles from Batcombe would be consistent. So unless I find anything more, for now I think that the 1634 marriage of Ralph may be key evidence for where the family of George Allen of Sandwich came from in England!.
Cheers!

5/28/2018 at 5:00 AM

I looked at the original Bishop's Transcripts for Batcombe. There are only a few years (1597 (good), 1605 (good), 1607 (good), 1608 (good), 1611 (Mar John Allen & Margaret Hart, date lost, baptisms not legible), 1612 (good, mar John Allen & Margaret Hart, 6 Jan (1611/2?), 1617 or 1619? (2 parts, baptisms and deaths, no marriages), 1617 (good), 1629 (good), 1633 (only partly legible, left side damaged), 1637 (only partly legible), gap to 1662). So there are no records for the family of George Allen, but given the gaps and not legible parts of the pages, it is still possible that George was in Batcombe. For the next few weeks I'll do the same thing, looking at the original Bishop's Transcripts, for the other towns around Cloford.

10/13/2021 at 2:01 AM

George Allen came to to america with john hull

10/15/2021 at 7:44 AM

The list of the Hull Company passengers (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:List_of_Hull_Company_Passengers), does not list a John Hull. Also see "The Great Migration, Immigrants to New England 1634-1635", Volume 3, G-H, Joseph Hull, p. 452-460.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion