ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Mike Stangel on Tuesday, July 28, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 2431-2460 of 8088 posts

I might not be the best person to help you but I'm confused. Something else I noticed is that George Chowne is not the eldest child?
Linda

Okay I get it.

I was confused because Chowne and Chowns are blood related. I guess I haven't found the connection yet. Thanks for your help.

In case anyone has not noticed - When it gives you the relationship to someone, click on the sort of arrow or wedge shape to right, and Geni will give you the full path (you may have to click again to see everyone in the middle of the path)

SmartCopy not working for me. I get

"Are your ancestors famous historical figures? and then it will not connect

History Search will compare your direct ancestors (and their siblings) to projects on Geni that focus on historical or famous individuals. It will list any matches found, the relation, and what projects they belong to. It can also search for master profiles, problem profiles, pending merges, and can create a simple visualization of tree completeness. Note that not being connected to the world family tree will severely limit the potential for ancestor matches."

Please UNmerge... Not sure WHY they came in together for comparison and I clicked too fast. TIA: https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=79395398200

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087, please check that everything is in order after the undoing.

Thank you so much Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert

Please remove Albert Schlossberg from this profile

Lottie Schlossberg

Thanks

When will these gedcom uploads end?
Basic users have repeatedly said in pubic forums that Pro users should do the merges. Basic users cannot SEE duplicates. Curators are mostly volunteer and remind "us" this often.
I have spent the entire day merging and there is STILL a mess... is frustrating because I feel like I am spinning my wheels... I am HAPPY to HELP but really, whose JOB is it to clean up the mess created by these willy nilly uploads?
Yes, I am venting again...

Leaves little time to work on my brick walls if I am stuck in "merge hell"

Hello, could someone please undo all the things that Kenneth Allen Jess did to this guy's profile today? He is really ticking me off. I previously asked him to ask me before he screwed around with my work. Well, he went and merged a brother with another brother and deleted things, added things. UGH!!!! I had to block him. Here's the profile: Major Snell Bohanon

I don't know if he screwed around with other people in this section. Perhaps you could check? Is there a way to make it so people have to request to merge?

Not sure if Joseph Rash, III 1755 (I added the III to try and differentiate) is actually a duplicate of 1743, but he was attached to wives and children in three different generations. I fixed a few of them, but I promised myself no rabbit holes today ~ LOL! I can't find any easy documentation to tell if they are the same person.

(1722) Joseph Rash, Jr.
(1743) Joseph Rash, III
(1755) Joseph Rash, III

I'd also like to echo Cynthia's complaint a little ~ I just wanted to clean up a fourth aunt's husband since he shows up in my tree with Nancy (Cash) Rash - say that three times fast - and there are dozens of incomplete merges in addition to the Joseph issue above.

I guess I didn't realize that basic users cannot see duplicates, but it seems like there are more and more of them. I wish someone could pay us to clean up merges, spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. ~ most of us OCD people would probably do it pretty cheap just for the satisfaction. :)

I also reported the same issue with SmartCopy a little while ago. Thank you!!!

Private User -- I unmerged what looked like two brothers, but several other activities looked solid, and I couldn't tell who the shared wife belonged with. See if things can be fixed now, though.

There is a separate Discussion for SmartCopy problems, Anyone having problems with SmartCopy look and/or report here: https://www.geni.com/discussions/145968

Private User Bless your heart! Thank you! Is there any way I can get people to request merges so this type of activity can be stopped?

Private User -- when bad merges are clearly vandalism, it's possible to draw a line - in this case, the merge is mistaken but was understandable. So asking for a merge, contacting a manager (especially on such profiles as these, where you are the only manager, and the profiles aren't from the distant past) would certainly be polite, and would be best practice. But it isn't mandated.

If this is a problem, though, one tool that we have is to Master the profiles and lock them down; when there are easily confused siblings, such as are in this tree, that is sometimes the best option.

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 "whose JOB is it to clean up the mess created by these willy nilly uploads?"

Officially it is the responsibility of the person uploading to clean up any resulting mess. I won't comment on how well that system works.

Pamela Anne Schuwerk Mittman Stigall Completed Rash according to notes in profiles.

Hi,

Could a curator please complete the merges on Victor Reginald Millard, merge the two spouses of Melville Vernon Fagundes, and if possible mark both Private and Private as deceased? For these last two I tried the "report profile as deceased" function a month or so back but got no response.

Thanks!

Nicholas Stephen Ward I completed the merge on Victor, i requested a merge of Melville's wives.

It is unusual that you had no response to reporting those profiles deceased, perhaps try again but remember staffing is low due to the holidays. I don't know what the burden of proof is, a curator could mark them as deceased but I am not going to do it just because you asked nicely. A published obit would have me update the profile without pause.

Alex Moes Thank you!

And how weird then -- I included a link to the first profile's obit (in all fairness I only found out that the second is deceased before messaging here) but still no response. Might've been more than a couple months but now I'm just splitting hairs.

If these help:

https://www.duggansmissionchapel.com/obituary/Doris-Therese-Simpson
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sonomanews/obituary.aspx?n=jacqui...

Nicholas Stephen Ward I changed both ladies to deceased, I cannot however make them publlic or otherwise edit them. They do have a new manager now who has been on Geni this December so perhaps might be more responsive than the last manager.

Can you please unmerge @Ethel Yetta Jacobson (Graff) birth 1892 Ethel Yetta Jacboson from @Ethel Graffshinsky (Graff)
. Thank you.

Ok

Hi. When I open my tree, I get a message about Flash. Recently there have been messages on my computer about Flash Player not being safe/working in 2021. Do I need to do anything/worry about my tree? Thanks

@Peter Watson, do not worry. 1) The Flash-applications used on Geni are safe. 2) The Geni-team has been working on the alternatieve HTML-tree in the last year. So you could switch to that tree as well.

I thought that the Flash-tree is going to disappear in jan/feb 2021.

“Since Adobe will no longer be supporting Flash Player after 31 December 2020 and Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning 12 January 2021, Adobe strongly recommends all users immediately uninstall Flash Player to help protect their systems."

from https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

As Maarten says Geni staff have been aware of this move for several years and many users already use the HTML version of Geni instead of the soon to be no more Flash version. The interface is a little different but if you are comfortable with the old tree transition won't be too painful.

Patrick Broderick, Convict "Norfolk" 1832

The profile John Henry Frederick Broderick is actually the brother of Patrick and not his father. This would explain the inconsistency.

Could a curator please move the profile of John Broderick to the right generation?

Thanks

Showing 2431-2460 of 8088 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion