ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Mike Stangel on Tuesday, July 28, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 2581-2610 of 8088 posts

Private User, the importer will start with importing a limited number of generations and will stop when encountering a potential match. The user can see that on the GEDCOM page and decide to stop the import for that branch or to continue importing that branch.
When the potential duplicate is merged the importer will continue with importing more profiles from that branch. So if users start to merge the import will continue without the importing user being asked to what should happen for that branch.

i see. didn't know how a gedcom import works. except that it is always creating truckloads of duplicates

Job Waterreus, so you are saying to not merge duplicate profiles from Gedcom imports unless asked by the importing user? I had an importer tell me they unloaded 10,000 profiles on the tree. I was showing multiple tree matches - some with bad data that needed cleaning up. Are we supposed to just leave these out there or am I missing something in the conversation? I could be. Wouldn't be the first time.

The disconnect is that the user imported 10,000 profiles. The likelihood they had a 10,000 profile tree which didn't replicate data already in Geni is low, not impossible mind.

But it's easier to just import a tree and pat yourself on the back for a job well done than it is to trawl thru the existing tree looking for inaccuracies or missing profiles compared to your own data on whatever other platform it is stored on.

Especially if the user doing the gedcom upload is new to Geni and doesn't understand the WFT or how to search Geni for existing profiles (potentially with different spellings to what they expect).

Alex Moes

Thanks

Bernard

Serious Problem with most gedcom imports is that they have very few reliable sources . Often incorrect data that just creates problems that then has to be resolved by others not the importers.

Alex Moes, that was what I was thinking. I can tell you that she had numerous replicated profiles, but sadly no real data/sources on them. The person who did this thought that profiles "merged on their own" automatically somehow. The user wasn't particularly interested in learning about the clean up process or what it entailed or that I was having to behind her and merge. That was back in the summer and as far as I know, she is an inactive user now.

Lots of us spend a lot of time trying to check these "tree matches". There are at least 5 people on here that I call wonderful tree builders and I collaborate with them and come behind and find as much data as I can to add to the profiles. Bad gedcoms and merges without looking through the tree and trying to find accurate data create a mess.

I found a profile this weekend of father and son who may be from the Revolution who don't have accurate data and have been merged multiple times creating multiple wives and children. The will posted on the profile doesn't even match the data listing the wives, nor DAR data. It is going to take Faustine Darsey to figure it out.

But if we aren't supposed to merge tree matches/duplicate profiles, I have to ask, why do we have them?

Can I get an unmerge done please. Merge looks like it was done by accident.

https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=79430518090

thanks

Re: " if we aren't supposed to merge tree matches/duplicate profiles, I have to ask, why do we have them?" - Officially, Geni wants them merged. Geni wants to attract as many users as possible. (It is a business, after all.)
However, Job has a much more practical understanding. And his goal, I believe, has more to do with creating as accurate as possible sections of the World Tree.

I would really like Geni to give new users a better explanation on the World Tree and explanation what importing their data into Geni would mean before they try to upload a GEDCOM.
As Geni does not show the content of a GEDCOM to anyone other than the importing user, that user is the only one who can decide if it is useful to import a branch further when it hits a duplicate. It could be there is better or missing info in it, but it could also be that importing it would not add anything useful and would only create additional work in merging and conflict resolution.
The problem is that the further import on a branch can be stopped by the user, but is will continue if the matching profile is merged without giving the importing user the possibility to decide to stop importing that branch.
So as long as you have no problem solving al conflicts for a branch you can merge without being asked by the importing user. But those that complain about duplicates being created should not merge them without being asked to do so, because merging them will let the importer process import more profiles from that branch that are likely also duplicates.

Gertruida Sophia Smit, b1c1d9e3 died February 14,1858. Her death notice is attached to her profile. On her death notice are 7 children. I found all but one baptismal record. They were all born between 1853and 1857.
The following profiles (children) may be duplicated but can't be merged as they are marked private.
I did send a message to the manager about two weeks ago and no response. Please assist if possible.
Nicolaas Johannes Hendrik Smith, b1c5d9
Hendrik Adam Laurens Smith, b1c5d11
Hendrik Adam Laurens Smith, b1c5d11
Johanna Maria Christina Smith, b1c5d13
William Stephanus Smith
Daniel Smith, b1c5d15
Annie Maria Meiring, b1c5d16

Above typo: They were all born between 1833 and 1857.

Dear curators, can you please undo this merge? https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=79430753080

Private User done

Private User the profile you link seems to be pointing at has never been merged so we can't Unmerge it.
If there is a profile you want unmerged view the profile page and select the Revisions tab, search down the list of revisions until you find the Merge you want undone then press the View button for that record then copy and paste the URL of the Merge review screen here.

Private User i am actually having a bit of trouble with your request, be patient and we'll get there. In the mean time there is a duplicate of you here:

https://www.geni.com/merge/compare/16188?to=6000000161331823890

if that link doesn't work this is the duplicate Private User

@Alex Moes - thanks for the help.

The duplicate you show is as a result of the merge I want to undo I think.

This profile has info from both profiles that were accidentally merged: Private User

So I don't want to approve the link you put in your comment.

Thanks @Alex Moes! (I'm not sure why I can't mention people in discussions).

Private User the merge which we are trying to reverse for you made a connection between yourself and some 19th century Pritchards, obviously not accurate. The merge i gave you a link for is for a copy of your own immediate family which was made in November by Joanne's son, Steven.

Jan Andreas Knudsen the @ tagging system is notoriously unreliable. The best way in my opinion to tag someone is to right-click on their name then Copy Link Address and paste that into your message. Guaranteed to work every time.

Second try. I did what Alex Moes suggested. This the merge that I want to undo: "Elza Grunberg was connected to Marcus (Mordechai) Grunberg as his daughter by Carole Vogel (Garbuny)".

Here is the link to his profile: Marcus (Mordechai) Grunberg

Here is the merge screen URl: https://www.geni.com/family-tree/canvas/6000000169421439532

(No Name) please unmerged this profile

Hi Private User,
Private User is a your account lost? (3 clones in pending request:)
Maybe here (C) can help you teach you how to do the right procedure, because the merge will never be accepted if you don't re-log from there.

PS. be cautious about the Mongolian Middle Ages, follow the notifications on your HOME, you are forgetting a couple of zombie conflicts.

PPS. If you are an expert on that time area, work on existing profiles and ask for administration rather than clone and merger.
Good Luck :D

I have a lot of colorful words to describe how I feel about the process right now based on what I am hearing:

Basically, don't merge tree/profile matches so we can stop Gedcoms from being loaded is how I am reading this.

Private User, what you said. We are getting two messages here - one from Geni to merge profiles and one from Job Waterreus to not merge to stop possible inaccurate information? Truthfully, we can't determine what is accurate on most gedcoms other than basic stats, which is part of the reason they are next door to useless.

Many of us are working to add as accurate information as possible. Yesterday, I found two wills of a direct ancestor who named his only son and only one of his five daughters in his will (she was likely the youngest) but, it was when I found the second will of the son who died 20 years later with no spouse or children that every one of his five sisters was named in his will. The will of the son also answered the burning question of when his mother was an "Owens" - after, not before his father died. She remarried. Only by putting the will information and all of this detective work on profiles have questions been answered, including some married names of these sisters.

I think this is a bit of a crazy system right now and needs improvement and clarification.

Susanne Floyd - To me, Job is not saying "to not merge to stop possible inaccurate information" but rather,
Give users doing an import a chance to decide if enough has been imported or if they want the import to continue for additional generations.
And he is letting us know, given the way the system currently works, if we merge with profiles added by an import not requested yet by the importer, we are denying the importer that opportunity to decide to stop the import.

My take-away consistent with both goals - send PMs, and find out how the importer feels, what he wants, after explaining about Geni and the World Tree, etc. If it looks like he is new.

And if this is an import just recently done / in process and the user is unresponsive, possibly one can post here letting Curators know and asking to check if it would be wise to merge, or should the import be cut off from the World Tree, or ??

Above is elaboration of what I meant / was referring to by "Job has a much more practical understanding."
That and that he understands if we are spending much time on merges of profiles the importer did not even want imported, that time is not spent creating as accurate as possible sections of the World Tree.

Thanks, Private User. I get this part:

"My take-away consistent with both goals - send PMs, and find out how the importer feels, what he wants, after explaining about Geni and the World Tree, etc. If it looks like he is new.

And if this is an import just recently done / in process and the user is unresponsive, possibly one can post here letting Curators know and asking to check if it would be wise to merge, or should the import be cut off from the World Tree, or ??"

My point is why should we who are going about our business trying to add accurate information to existing profiles send a PM to all the potential merges and ask them if they want to merge? I think that is a bit much. Shouldn't that be the job of Geni? Frankly if it is in the "Merge Center," it seems a given that someone (if it is Geni) thinks it should be merged. They imported it and it was dropped there. Now it seems they get to decided do they want to import more once we merge. They get to decide if they continue to add profiles to possibly corrupt the tree. Again, my colorful language is bubbling to the surface.

The best solution that I see is just "reject" all merges and go on my merry way. That isn't very helpful, in my opinion to new users or maybe the Word Tree, but then again it solves the problem of what to do in a consistent fashion.

Showing 2581-2610 of 8088 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion