Florence Fineen McCarthy - Place of Birth Incorrect

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Friday, February 26, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
2/26/2021 at 6:58 PM

I was trying to make sense of how his daughter Jane was born in Ireland if her father was born and died in England. Reading in the About section it says Florence Fineen McCarthy was born in 1560 at Kilbrittain Castle near Kinsale in the province of Munster in Ireland, not in England. That makes a lot more sense with the other connections. The fields are locked, so I'm unable to make the correction. But, County Cork is definitely in Ireland, not in England.

2/26/2021 at 7:36 PM

His story is VERY interesting. He was from a princely Irish dynasty and he married his cousin who was an Irish princess. Their marriage threatened Queen Elizabeth I and she threw Florence Fineen in the Tower of London for almost 40 years. He wrote a history or Ireland that was published about 200 years after his death.

2/26/2021 at 7:39 PM

Also, his names isn't actually Florence Fineen. I saw some sites that had Florence (Fineen) and finally found the explanation:

Fineen anglicised to Florence

So, Fineen is his Irish name and Florence is the anglicised version. It's not his middle name.

http://mccarthyfamily.net/mccarthyHistory.htm

2/27/2021 at 2:34 AM

Hi Debbie
You’re right Cork is definitely in Ireland not England.
I tried to edit the change but I’m unable as it appears it is managed by someone else. You’ll have seen that there are a number of ways his name is shown as it’s Irish.
Interestingly in my grandmother’s family (McCarthy) her brother was Florence and she named her first son Florence. A very unusual name in Scotland at that time. Sorry I can’t be of further help.
Regards,
Paul Mulvey

2/27/2021 at 2:47 AM

The assigned curator is Eugene Thomas

So, tagging him to get assistance to make the correction.

Nice to hear from you, Paul.

2/27/2021 at 12:36 PM

His named was changed to Florence.

2/27/2021 at 6:24 PM

Hmmmm.... Well, Fineen or a variation of it was his actual Irish name. Florence is how it was anglecized. My point had been that it wasn't his middle name. But I'm pleased that his birth location has been corrected to Ireland.

2/28/2021 at 1:04 PM

Fineen was in Ireland from 1593 to 1601 so if Jane was his daughter she probably would have been born in county Cork.

However the only source I've seen for Jane is a rootsweb tree. She is not mentioned in any of the Irish pedigrees. Was she his daughter?

2/28/2021 at 1:44 PM

John, I don't know the lines. I just discovered they're supposed my son's paternal ancestors, so all I know so far is what is on Geni.

Jane does show having been born in County Cork, according to her profile, which is why I originally questioned how her father could have been born and died in England as he was showing when I started this dicussion. But, of course, we know he was born in Ireland and that has been corrected.

I've been collaborating with a cousin of my own in Ireland on an unrelated line and she has explained to me that Irish records are sadly lacking on most lines for a variety of reasons. So a lack of docoumentation in Irish records, from what she has told me, is more common than not.

I'm sure the person who added Jane's connections and her other profile managers probablhy know more about the lines than I do since I'm a very distant in-law.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion