George Skipper, Jr / Cheroenhaka Nottoway Iroquois - A review and sourcing of Skipper lines

Started by Susanne Floyd on Friday, March 26, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts

All, in response to a long time interest of mine and recent questions posed by pam skipper, I'd like to request a review of information and sourcing or lack of sourcing on the following profiles and make some recommendations for consideration:

King Ouraquero, George Skipper, Jr / Cheroenhaka Nottoway Iroquois and partner Mary Skipper

Moses Skipper and partner Kezzia Skipper

Barnabas Skipper and his attached partners (There are three noted.)

Abraham Skipper and his partner Mary Jane Skipper

I have been pulling out maps and pushpins. We know the location of Cheroenhaka lands and how family members of George II moved down to Anson County, NC and Marlboro SC in the top center of the SC piecrust. But we also know that several family members of George II moved down to Brunswick and Bladen Co. on or near the coastal line of NC/SC.

Then we have a whole other George William Skipper of Brunswick NC, a contemporary of King Ouraquero, George Skipper, Jr / Cheroenhaka Nottoway Iroquois who had a number of children - children who if I am getting my information correct from the Skipper group that I joined to try to figure all this out moved into the Green Swamp area of NC and married into the Native American population. So we get a whole other branch of Skippers who have native ties of a different tribal nation. I am working to piece this together with a lot of folks from all these different lines. It is amazing.

We need sourcing on all Skipper lines. Some profiles don't even have Find a Grave to connect them to another profile or person (whether it is right or wrong.) This week, I found the will of Abraham Skipper and of Moses Skipper and have noted the links on profiles along with the children that are listed. Based on that, I would recommend the following and it is truly open to discussion:

1. Disconnect Abraham Skipper from Moses as a son. Connect Abraham Skipper as a brother to Moses and son to Sachem George II and Mary Bailey. It seems to me that Moses and Abraham are at least two of Sachem George II's children who migrated to the coastal area of NC. See profile notes.

2. Disconnect Barnabas Skipper from Moses as a son. Connect Barnabas Skipper as a brother to Moses and Abraham and son to Sachem George II and Mary Bailey. Barnabas was at least one of the sons, who along with Sachem George II migrated to Anson and Marlboro Counties. See profile notes.

3. Source as many profiles in the Skipper tree and make sure that they are correctly attached. I will ask that you consider posting a profile discussion with evidence/documentation or a thread here on this link.

Why do I think these relationships are correct? Not from any Ancestry trees, but from wills, deeds, dates, and documents. I am not sure that my tree is correct still because I am still trying to sort the Horry County Skippers into the mix. They fit as a Barnabas Skipper served in Gasque's Battalion in the War of 1812 from Marion/Horry County along with Peter Skipper and several others. At least two of the Horry County Skippers moved to Marlboro County near their "cousins." There was a lot of court movement in deeds between the Brunswick County and Horry County Skippers. Abraham owned property in both states, just as Barnabas did. But....is it clear.

Many have an interest in this line and I hope they will contribute and watch. I am tagging the following to note the profiles I have listed and see my notes in the "About." Private , Rachelle Roby kit#AH6520100 ,Paskawo, gedcom/RE7076155 , Beverly Renee Hallman Marsh, Gedmatch Kit #XK9447597 , and there are many others who are active and some not active.

Please add your thoughts here or on profiles, but we need to clean this up as much as we can. I would say that DNA would make a difference, but what I am finding with Horry County lines (and I suspect other coastal county area populations) is that I am related to people so many different ways the path is unclear. Maybe for someone who knows more about reading the information it will be better once we can load more DNA.

Thanks for any assistance.

I have attached the wills of Moses Skipper and Abraham Skipper.

With regards to Abraham (Abrahm), it seems he died in 1819 and it was in 1829 that his estate was brought to probate through a petition by son John W. Skipper for siblings and he to settle the estate. The children named were Nathan Skipper, Rebecca Skipper, Silas Skipper, Sophie Skipper, David Skipper, Jacob Skipper, Drucilla Skipper, and John W. Skipper, who was the petitioner for the estate.

I can find no children named Daniel Skipper who married his sister Sophie as per current connections and no child named Catherine Skipper who seems to be born and raised in Pennsylvania instead of the Carolinas.

Please review and give your thoughts if you agree that Daniel B. Skipper and Catherine Skipper who seems to have unknown parents on wikitree and married a Pennsylvanian should be disconnected from Abraham and Mary Potter Skipper. She could have been from Virginia Skipper families who migrated North.

For Catherine Skipper :

Family Search has her as a child of an Abraham Skipper 1763-1842 of Pennsylvania, not of North Carolina.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/29425445/catharine-shore

Married to Joseph Shore. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/29425378/joseph-shore.

I think we can reasonably disconnect Catherine and attach her to the correct spouse. No known parents on Family Search or Wikitree. We need to get this corrected as it is becoming proliferate on other platforms that she is a child of Abraham of North Carolina. Again, I appreciate additional documentation or comments if there is more evidence to support her parentage or weigh in on the need to disconnect.

Ok, I have worked all weekend on the children of Abraham Skipper and Mary Jane Skipper. They do have some source material, though limited as I wish and maybe one day, I will write the definitive tome on the Skipper family in America if we get it figured out. Just like that definitive Floyd family volume that is out there somewhere.

Anyway, Abraham Skipper and Moses Skipper have wills or court documents attached to their profiles now that give some information. I got some in the little "Skipper" club of which I am a member to try to read the will of Moses and determine what was said. It appears that he left 1/2 to his wife Kezzia and 1/2 to his daughter Sophy Jane, but in the event of their demise, it would go to his "two sons" - of course unnamed. Maybe it is Barnabas and Abraham, but I don't think so. I will do some geography work and see some more as I think it will come down also to some court deed searches in several states and counties.

I have invited the active profile managers to collaborate. If I missed one, let me know and I will send you a request and we need this sort of effort to get it done. I will also invite you to the Skipper/Skipworth project, here on Geni.

I did find that Rev. Nathaniel A. Skipper was a War of 1812 veteran and a minister. I will let the managers on Find a Grave know as soon as possible. It needs to be added to his biography.

Again, I have contacted various profile managers to collaborate and hope they accept. Please do. We have much work. I have listed many children on profiles who need to be added.

By the way, "the little Skipper club" is a power house of information. I highly advise you to turn to groups to get things done. They are just now familiar with Geni and the world tree. This is a different platform.

you mentioned the little skipper club
how would you go about joining it.

I will message you, Pam.

Hi I am not sure if this is the right place to post but I saw the Skipper discussion and here I go! :) I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I am looking for any documented information maybe a census or any information on Hephzibah Skipper being John Skipper and Elizabeth Liles child. I have found many trees with her being their daughter and even on Hephzibahs husbands side—a descendent has gathered information stating that John Skipper was his wife’s (Hephzibahs) father in law in Brunswick NC.

As follows
John W Skipper 1784-1863 (marriage Elizabeth Liles)
Hephzibah Skipper 1814-1862 (married to Sion Bell Smith)

I haven’t been able to find another father for her except John through stories online and trees but no document facts. Thank you!!

Sorry i can not help
I have a John Skipper but mine was born 1640

Hi Sydney Taylor. I am going to launch a discussion for you and message you. pam skipper and I are working on this line and sometimes if we can get some separate discussions going, it helps keep things straight. I found his FAG profile and that of Elizabeth Liles. Interestingly, I have been following the Skipper Potter connection that seems to be with his daughter Margaret. There is a long association of Skipper-Potter alliances.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion