Merging profiles to connect to more extensively built out trees

Started by Private User on Thursday, November 4, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 6 posts
Private User
11/4/2021 at 10:09 AM

So, I have a free Geni account that I started a couple months ago. I've been building out my tree and on many branches can go 10 or more generations just compiling family info I have and then getting more info on familysearch.org.

I have probably gotten too deep here now before I really knew what I was doing (is there software not in the cloud that would have been a better place to do this work?), but I've just been focused on parentage and haven't been putting in sibling information, in the hopes that I would be able to tap into someone else's work here. It also feels ridiculous to just be copying birth/death/marriage info over from one site to another, especially when I know in a lot of cases it's already on Geni in someone else's tree. I'm a little obsessive and so I overdue it and am giving myself repetitive use injuries (finally got an external mouse the other day, which helps!).

Anyway, some of my profiles have been merged with existing profiles, but I don't even know how that happens. Is it just because some curator or page manager gets a notification and then they merge the profiles? I know the steps to take if I actually am able to view a profile for an ancestor and the page is managed by someone else, and I want to merge with one of my pages, but I don't know how to get to those profiles most of the time. Can someone help?

Is this just an issue of my not having a Pro account? But why have I sometimes been able to view profiles that need to be merged?

11/4/2021 at 6:08 PM

Pro accounts get to see Tree matches. That's how other people are finding merges that can happen.

Private User
11/4/2021 at 9:29 PM

Jonathan, thank you. You're a champ doing all the merging you're doing too! That helps a great deal because then I can fix duplicate profiles in my very close relatives from trees built out years ago by inactive (on Geni) cousins ...

11/4/2021 at 10:17 PM

And that's where you are going to be the expert too! You have a very connected part of the Geni World Tree, lots of connections.

Private User
11/5/2021 at 9:26 AM

Yes, and it's pretty wild that we have so much information going so far back and so readily accessible!

Private User
11/5/2021 at 1:15 PM

Also, I recognize what an incredible privilege it is to be able to have access to all of this information about my ancestors and where they came from. Folks in the US with enslaved African heritage (many of whom my very ancestors enslaved) do not have any way of tracing their lineages. Such a violence and trauma that is embedded in my own personal family and our collective history as USians.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion