Martha Cawze / Old Cheraw - Question

Started by Courtney Frank on Sunday, January 2, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
1/2/2022 at 1:04 AM

Hi I am related to martha, she is my 8th great grandmother. I was trying to read through and I think I got a bit confused because I read that she passed away on a reserve. I keep finding things about the Cheraw tribe and I was wondering if she was Native American? Maybe I am reading it wrong.

6/25/2022 at 5:30 PM

The Cheraw Preserve was a set-aside for survivors of the Cheraw ("She-Raw) tribe. It was also a town in South Carolina, Chesterfield County, on the PeDee River. Her Father may have been Richard Casey. So, difficult to tell. She married William Sweat/Pamunkey (mother a Pamunkey-like Pocahontas- Indian), the son of Robert Cornish Sweat, the love-child of Robert 'the elder' Sweatt and Margaret Cornish, one of the first 20 slaves sold in Jamestown (they were found out, he did penance, she got 30 lashes), and remained a 'servant' (they weren't called slaves yet). It seems the Sweatt family lived in some version of the swamp for the next 200 years (until my great-grandfather Leander moved to Naylor, Georgia). Martha's son, William, 1732, married Lucy Turbeville, whose mother, Sarah(Jones) was counted in the Westron (western shore of the river) Indian censused community. Henry (Sweet) Clifford

11/29/2022 at 6:57 PM

Are any of the Sweat family descendants members of the Pamunkey today?

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion