Robert de Glen - Birth date

Started by Robert Richard Rounds on Monday, January 10, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
1/10/2022 at 1:09 PM

My research has Robert's birth date as 1303 (resolving the inconsistency) Lindisfarne Castle,Glen, Kirkcudbright, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland

1/10/2022 at 2:05 PM

That would be excellent, what source did you find this date in?

1/11/2022 at 1:55 PM

"My research" may be too strong a description of how I concluded Robert's birthdate as 1303. There is no clearly documented date for his death. A number of publications (including Genealogical Notes Regarding the Family of Glen by Thomas Allen Glenn) ) suggest that he was born about 1300. Although certainly not definitive, the majority of "trees" on the major genealogy web sites (Ancestry.com, MyHeritage.com, FamilySearch.com, WikiTree.com) show a significant preference for 1303 v 1315. This is perhaps due to the inconsistency pointed out by GENI. With his son “Robert” showing a birthdate of 1327 (again not definitive), Robert the father would be between 11 and 12 years at the time of his son’s birth. Also, several sources show the likely marriage of Robert to Margaret de Brus as occurring in 1325 - making Robert either 10 or 22 depending on which birth date is used. It’s also likely that this marriage was likely a reward for some fealty shown to Robert de Brus (and to get the Glen’s to leave the camp of Edward I) so, what would a 10 year old have done? So the best I can categorize 1303 as a birthdate is as a deduction.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion