Finns in the 1950 Census

Started by Steven Clyde on Monday, May 16, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
5/16/2022 at 8:11 AM

I have been working on indexing the 1950 Census and have found that the AI program doesn't recognize Finnish names very well. Is there any interest in this community to help Index areas in the US where our ancestors are found and improve Finnish name recognition? I am currently working on the Houghton Michigan area.

5/16/2022 at 8:46 AM

I live in Bruce Crossing Mi, Ontonagon County. What exactly would this work entail? I could possibly help.

5/16/2022 at 9:15 AM

You would need to go to Familysearch.org Then register if you do not already have an account. It is totally free. Then on the main page go to and click on (Get Involved) Click 1950 U.S. Census, This will bring up a new page with a map. Click on the map the area you are interested in. Go, to the box that says Review names, Click get started, Click on (Search by County or City) Type in the area you are interested in, then hit the Search button. This will bring up a Census page with a name highlighted. If you agree that name is correct hit the Green button if not Edit button and correct the name then submit. there is also a unsure button and a not a person button.

Private User
5/16/2022 at 9:18 AM

Hi, if I understand correctly you have material for teaching AI systems or you don't have and expect to get that material?
I think you could also reverse the problem, at least in my family/families there are many different versions used there and some totally new invented. Also, the conversion of Scandinavian characters may cause some problems.

Private User
5/16/2022 at 9:29 AM

I could possibly help you too, to read /review names.
I have a lot of relatives in US (mainly in Minnesota -area) and
have been researching for four years through Ancestry.
-Tuija

5/16/2022 at 9:33 AM

I have no control over the AI program. What is happening now is correcting mistakes it makes. There is a collaboration between Family Search, My Heritage and Ancestry to get the records digitized to make them searchable.

5/16/2022 at 9:36 AM

T McR that would be great

Not all the names are Finnish so you just have to work through and correct the Finnish names as you come across them.

5/16/2022 at 9:52 AM

I can try helping in the Massachusetts/Fitchburg area. That is where my grandmother and my great grandparents lived.

5/16/2022 at 9:59 AM

That would be great Tiffany

5/16/2022 at 10:23 AM

I was born in Trimountain, MI but my grandparents lied in Beacon Hill, MI which is near Houghton and Hancock, MI.

5/16/2022 at 9:40 PM

I have done that work in Ancestry and Census 1950 websites and I am going to continue that work again when I have time to do that. I have corrected names in Michigan, Washington and California state areas.

yesterday at 6:38 AM

That’s good to hear!

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion