René "le Jeune" / "the Younger" Landry - Tracing the family of Rene "Le Jeune" Landry (1634-1692)

Started by Benjamin John Landry on Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts
2/7/2012 at 5:17 AM

Hi all, before I joined this site I was researching my ancestory independently, and most sources I found seemed to indicate that there was no conclusive evidence as to Rene Landry's background, who his father was, when he came to Canada, etc. However, on Geni, we have an establish lineage going much further back. I thought it might be interesting to get a discussion going, and maybe shed some light on the subject for those of us who are curious where we came from

Private User
2/7/2012 at 5:48 AM

We have some info about that debate in the About Me section for those following. There is new research out, but I'm not sure anyone has published anything on it. I sent some DNA tests to Don Landry that was reported to provide new information on the Acadia Landry line, but I haven't heard back from him (might have had an old e-mail).

2/7/2012 at 11:54 AM

My cousin "Paul Landry" has given his DNA for the LANDRY PROJECT by Ben Londeree. So far it appears that Rene Landry (l'aine) and Rene Landry (l'jeune) are related. The question is how? From what Ben has sent me the evidence shows that both the Rene's have similiar yDNA and that they share a common ancestry.

2/7/2012 at 12:21 PM

I personally do not believe that Jean Claude Landry and Marie Salle are the parents of Rene (l'jeune) Landry.
Now according to the RC church's law...we are not suppose to marry our first cousin but we all know that has been done from time to time and especially back in those years. We know according to the yDNA test results that both Rene's shared common yDNA which means they shared a common ancestry. My guess is they shared either the same Landry Grandfather or g. grandfather which would mean that their children could marry each other.

2/7/2012 at 4:51 PM

@ Jeff, I read the info in Rene's profile, which is in line with the other info I found researching online. I'm curious though, because someone has made the connection to Jean Claude (and beyond), if they had some documents to support that I would be interested to find out about that. Or if that connection is unsubstantiated, that would be good to know too.

The Geni family tree shows alot of connections past Rene, without knowing his direct ancestory, is it still safe to assume he would be connected to some of the older (de la tour) Landrys, or would everything past 1650 be taken with a grain of salt?

Private User
11/26/2012 at 7:43 PM

For the purposes of an accurate big tree, I have disconnected Rene Landry from Jean Claude and Marie Salle. All authoritative sources on the Landry ancestry state this connection is inaccurate based on the data we have. So, until new evidence comes forward, we should probably leave it open.

Private User
11/26/2012 at 8:19 PM

I haven't looked, but perhaps, if you haven't already...add some notation above profile as well as in profile...as to why, so we don't get anymore additions.

Cheers.

Private User
11/27/2012 at 5:47 AM

For the purposes of documentation, here are the profiles that were disconnected as Rene's parents: Jean-Claude Landry II, II and Marie-Anne Sallé

Rene's father was also linked as married to Suzanne Arnaud, who is identified as Unknown Profile, with the parents of Unknown Profile and Jeanne Dugast.

Private User
11/27/2012 at 6:11 AM

I've added additional information in the About Me in the "Unknown Landry" parent profiles and MP'd them with a note.

Private User
11/27/2012 at 8:06 AM

Interesting discussion. I am curious about the possibilities to find his ancesters. As this Rene is disconnected from his parents. I am no longer related to him. Does this mean his profile should also be removed from my project about connections with the van Amstels? How does one do that...

Private User
11/27/2012 at 10:14 AM

Andre, I went ahead and removed him from the project. You can remove profiles by going to the project and selecting to view all the profiles. It then gives you the option to remove.

5/28/2013 at 7:27 PM

Marie Salle was married twice:

1. Martin Aucoin

2. Jean Claude (NOT-Jean Claude Landry)

According to Stephen White there was no Jean Claude Landry but Jean Claude and Marie Salle lived next door to Rene (l'jeune) Landry. As a result, it was assumed that his last name was Landry.

There is also no proof that Rene b. 1618 is the half brother of Rene b. 1634. At best according to the yDNA Landry project, they share a common ancestor, most likely grandparents or g. grandparents.

Private User
5/28/2013 at 8:08 PM

Roxanne is correct. "Jean-Claude Landry" has been discredited as being the spouse of Marie Salé. It is said that she was married to Aucoin and after he died, she remarried to Jean Claude (whom was also listed as Jehan Claude/Glaude and Clause). The belief that he was a Landry was fabricated as early genealogists were trying to piece out whom the Rene Landry's (lejeune and l'aine) belonged to, and since Marie Salé was a neighbor and old enough to be their mom, the fabricated the surname Landry and hyphenated Jean Claude.

I have recreated a Jean Claude profile to be married to Marie Salé and I hope that a curator will remove the Landry one.

Thank you.

Private User
5/28/2013 at 8:09 PM

PS
I also added screenshots of a book and a fairly credible website regarding that lineage to the Jean / Jehan Claude profile that I recreated.

Private User
5/28/2013 at 8:11 PM

Jean Claude Here's the recreated profile of the 2nd husband of Marie Salé.

I think it should have an MP on it so that it won't get merged with the Landry profile in the future.

Private User
12/30/2013 at 11:23 AM

Jeff,

You said, "For the purposes of an accurate big tree, I have disconnected Rene Landry from Jean Claude and Marie Salle. All authoritative sources on the Landry ancestry state this connection is inaccurate based on the data we have. So, until new evidence comes forward, we should probably leave it open."

My searches continue to show the connection still is there. I am not saying genealogically; but perhaps someone has relinked it.

Is it possible for a curator to lock it; and then only with proven evidence change it?

I would prefer my historical searches not to include the incorrect Jean Claude route; thereby using other longer routes that include my other relatives (that I have been verified with marriages, birth, etc.)

Private User
12/30/2013 at 12:19 PM

Private User, thanks for catching the change. It looks like it got introduced yesterday. I've removed them again. As new duplicate profiles get merged in, sometimes they contain these connections, which results in a conflict that many users don't have the experience with the software to address. Unfortunately, there is no way to lock the parent connections yet.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion