Hungerford Family - establishing correct information (2)

Started by Private User on Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• By https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Lobsterthermidor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:public_domain
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
5/23/2012 at 11:33 PM

This 2nd project discussion is about Everard Hungerford

The aim is to establish the most accurate information about him that is available with sources if there are any other than uploaded trees that can be found extensively online. These quote other trees as their source - often repeating impossible dates etc.!

Presently -

Born: about 1160, Heytesbury, Wiltshire, England
Death: after 1186 (26) Heytesbury, Wiltshire, England
Married - before 1186 to unknown.
Father of Walter de Hungerford, ii

This is generally the earliest de Hungerford recorded in most published genealogies. No sources are given on his profile.

Any information you have regarding sources etc. would be welcome in our quest for the best information available!

Private User
5/30/2012 at 3:36 AM

Everard is not mentioned in 'The Hungerford Cartulary' Wiltshire Record Society edited by J L Kirby

Not mentioned THE DORMANT AND EXTINCT BARONAGE OF ENGLAND.

Private User
6/1/2012 at 3:05 AM

Family search Ancestral file reference for Everard De Hungerford (AFN:9L7L-FO)
Birthdate given as Bef 1160 of Heytesbury, Wiltshire

6/1/2012 at 3:51 AM

I have checked out my notes on Everard de Hungerford, and it would appear that I took my information from .....

Reference: Families directly des. from all the royal familiess. in Europe (495 to 1932). By Mrs. Eliz. M. Leach Rixford. Burlington, Vt. 1932. (175p.):35

6/1/2012 at 4:10 AM

I have actually ordered a copy of the paperback version of the book afore mentioned, 'Families Directly Descended from All the Royal Families in Europe (... I think this could prove very useful.

Product Description
This genealogy is a study in the old world as well as the new. Extensive references have been given, countless books have been consulted, nearly all procured from New England Historical and Genealogical Society, and to "Colonial Families," compiled by the New York Historical Society. The author depended on printed records, and when authorities differed, a conclusion was reached by critical comparison and the weighing of evidence. Many family records never printed before have been used. Mrs. Rixford, a noted genealogist and author of several works, including "Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service," has traced from Cerdic, first of the West Saxon Kings, 495, through Alfred the Great, 849, Robert Bruce, King of Scotland, King Henry I, II and III, King Edward I, II and III, also many other royal lines through Charlemagne, Louis I, Earls of Warren, Dukes of Normandy, Royal House of Portugal, House of Capet, Counts of Anjou, Kings of Jerusalem, and many other royal families too numerous to name. She has also included several Mayflower lines connected to all members of the Vermont Society of Mayflower Descendants, who are direct descendants of these lines. Those with ancestry to the Earls of Warren have been connected up to the royal families. The book also includes the ancestry of Gen. George Washington, the first President of the United States, traced back 1,000 years to the Earl of Orkney Isles, the founder of the Washington family. It also contains the ancestry of Gen. Nathaniel Greene, who ranked next in military fame to George Washington. Other families addressed in this volume include: Aquitaine, Angouleme, Anjoy, Baskerville, Beauchamp, Bray, Bulkeley, Capet, Castille, Cheney, James Chilton, Francis Cooke, Courtenay, Rixford, De Vere, Farleigh-Hungerford, Devereux, Douglas, Drake, Eaton, Ferrers, Fitz-Alan, Flanders, Graves, Greene, Gregory, Hainault, Heydon, Johnson, William Latham, Lawrence (John and Isaac), Lisle, Marshall, Milbourne, Moore, Mowbray, Phelps, Port, Province, Rogers, Russell, Seymour, De Spineto, Smith and Georges, Sir Henry Smith, Stanley, Throckmorton, Tailefer, Vermandois, Warren, Washburn, Washington, Winnington (Wynnington), Gov. Thomas Welles, Whitney, William the Conqueror, Winslow, and Wyne.

Private User
6/1/2012 at 8:47 AM

Everard is not mentioned in this book - The Hungerfords are described with their connection through De Vere De Courtney, Peverill - details of Sir Thomas H who married Catherine Peverill and subsequent. Lots of reference to Hungerford in the book.

Private User
6/2/2012 at 5:36 AM

*[http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MXsdAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA331&dq... The Gentleman's magazine (London, England), Volume 134]
>Page 331. Reference to R.C. Hoare’s Hungerfordiana “We hear of an Everard de Hungerford, in 1160, and of a William de Hungerford, Abbot of Waverley, who died in 1276, but I cannot trace the descent of this family for a certainty till the time of Walter de Hungerford who married Maud, daughter of John de Hetesbury; and thereby became settled at Heytesbury, in Wiltshire. Here then I must commence my account of this family, so distinguished in after-times, and so fortunate in its intermarriages with many heiresses”.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion