Thomas Hale, the Elder - Probably NOT the son of William Hale, Sheriff of Hertfordshire

Started by Private User on Friday, July 24, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
7/24/2015 at 2:42 PM

There are several children currently linked to William Hale, Esq., Sheriff of Hertfordshire and wife Rose Bond, who most likely are not their children. The children in question are Thomas Hale the Elder, John Hale, and Bernard Hale

Please see these sources - https://books.google.com/books?id=hcCJeNtX9PQC&pg=PA368&amp....... This journal lists the nine true children of William and Rose, with dates of birth. There is a twenty-year gap between the birth of these three children and those named in the article.

The journal gives a late date of birth for William the Sheriff, making him too young to be the father of these three sons.

It also discusses the fact that for many generations it was accepted that William's son Thomas was the Thomas Hale who emigrated to Massacusetts. It was later proven that there was another Hale family in Hertfordshire at the same time, with a son named Thomas. This family was of more humble origins, yeoman level, and not the son of a wealthy land-owner.

http://cybergata.com/roots/5769.htm - This Thomas Hale had in-laws by the name of Kirby. None of the children of William the Sheriff married a Kirby.

Private User
7/28/2015 at 10:53 AM

Great info, I am interested in tracking this, as I want to find my Hale line. It's interesting that both Hales are from the same county. One could simply be a cadet branch of the other, could they not? This seemed a pretty common occurrence at the time. I'm now trying to link up my Hales with the Mass branch that moved to Albany/ Troy New York, as that's where my GGM Hale was from. It will be interesting as all these old families knew of each other. I'm going to a DAR luncheon next week might ask them what they have on colonial Hales.

Private User
7/30/2015 at 2:45 PM

Pamela, I have no doubt that the two families in Hertfordshire knew of one another. It is possible that if we go back an additional 200-300 years, we could even find where the two families were once the same. My task was to untangle the the migrating Hales because the New England and Virginia families had become intertwined here on Geni.

I am glad you are interested in the Hale family. I look forward to hearing about any research and discoveries you make.

4/3/2018 at 1:05 PM

The William Hale, Esq who was Sheriff of Hertfordshire was born in 1568 and so was not likely the father of Thomas Hale, of Watton-on-Stone Thomas Hale (the Elder) who was born only 7 years later in 1575.

Private User
10/25/2018 at 3:22 PM

William Hale, Sheriff of Hertfordshire had a brother named John John Hale who had a son Thomas b. 1575 d. October 19, 1630 Watton at Stone, Hertfordshire, England. Those dates and place coincide with information known about Thomas the Elder. Thomas the Elder is most likely William's nephew.

Private User
1/21/2022 at 5:00 PM

I am curious why John doesn't seem to be found in any records under Richard & Dionysus ?
I continue to see he is the likely Father of Thomas of Watton, but the only record I find of a John Hale old enough is the marriage record to Ales Crawley c. 1573, but I dont seem to find any records linking him to Richard Hale, so could it just be that Johns Father is not Richard Hale, and is of another Hale lineage, but continues to be connected to this lineage somehow instead?

Private User
1/21/2022 at 5:05 PM

My lineage wouldnt be under Thomas Hale of Watton at Stone, but of John Hale, son of John & Ales, but his approx birth is 1575, which is claimed to be that of Thomas as well, so I am confused if this is of the same Lineage.
Since William is not listed on any other form of genealogy to have a brother John.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion