"Joanna," 1st wife of Rev. Joseph Hull - Original sources

Started by Justin Swanstrom on Friday, October 20, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
10/20/2017 at 3:05 PM

I’m curious about the research on Joanna, supposed first wife of Rev. Joseph Hull.
1st wife of Joseph Hull

Orra Monnette (1873-1936) thought she might have been Joanna Coffin, daughter of Peter Coffin and Joan Kember. His evidence was circumstantial. His main argument was that Joseph Hull named one of his sons Tristram, a relatively unusual name that was common in the Coffin family. (The Hull Family in America, compiled by Col. Charles H. Weygant et al. (1913)).
Joane Coffin

Phyllis Hughes, genealogist for the Hull Family Association exploded Monnette’s theory in 2001 (“Facts, Fables, and Fantasies” in Hull Family Association Journal, v. 12, #1, Spring 2001, pp 23-24). I remember that. A famous bit of research.

According to Hughes, the Joanna Coffin who was daughter of Peter Coffin was christened 29 Dec 1616 at Brixton. (Geni currently says circa 1611, which suggests no one has yet taken time to read the article.) That means she was too young to be the woman who married Joseph Hull 1618/19.

I don’t doubt her conclusion but it’s a bit odd Hughes does not seem to have considered the possibility the wife of Joseph Hull was related to Tristram Coffin in some other way. I’m wondering how deep her research actually went.

Has anyone looked at the actual records?

I notice Joanna Coffin is also credited with a sister Deborah Stevens, said to have been christened March 1616. (Geni says circa 1614, which again suggests no one has yet taken time to look.) Two daughters for Peter Coffin, one christened in March and one in December of the same year is possible but seems a bit close.

Just curious where we are with this.

10/20/2017 at 4:14 PM

Private User do you have any info from the Coffin side of the story?

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion