Sir Robert Bayley, Kt. - I believe we need to cut the top of the Bayley /Bailey tree off

Started by Anne Brannen on Tuesday, October 31, 2017
Showing all 4 posts
10/31/2017 at 7:32 AM

I've run into another web tree top that appears to be an invention. As usual, it is in web trees all OVER the internet. But that doesn't make it plausible.

Sir Robert Bayley, a master profile here, may well be ok -- I can't find him anywhere, but at least his name doesn't set my teeth on edge --

BUT the line above him is highly suspect in general; impossible in places; and I can't find it in anything but web trees.

some issues:

1) up above Sir Robert, pretty much everybody has a middle name, and in general that wasn't in use, certainly not as we go back in time.
2) Richard Tuder Bayley (Bailey), {Fictional} caught my eye first -- not only does he have too many names but one of them is Tuder. Really? Some English guy is named Tuder, in 1306? I don't think so.
3) Here's his grandmother -- Lady Ann Victoria Bailey (Bayley), {Fictional} -- and not only does she have too many names, one of them is Victoria! Which was a popular name in Spain and in Germany at this time, but wasn't used in England until the 19th C. Indeed, it didn't come into use there until Queen Victoria. Whose mother was German. But I digress.....
4) Sir Robert R H Bayley 6th Earl of Derby He was the 6th Earl of Derby! Not. That was held by one of the de Ferrers. Also! He has, like, FOUR names! Because special.
5) we go back through time, nonsense nonsense nonsense, oh look, here's a de Peverel, nonsense, till we get to the Norman invasion. and! This person actually existed, sort of! Count Arnoul Bailey (Bayley), {Fictional} There are several name sources for various Bailey trees -- the Anglo-Norman tree does indeed come from Arnoul de Gramines, of the Bailleuls. Yes! And also he had a son named Simon. But they didn't come over with the Conqueror -- they came into England in the 15th C. So there are two people in this tree who might well represent actual humans, but they are attached to fictitious people, and have names that aren't right.

So I recommend cutting off the top of the tree above the Master Profile, and labeling it fictional, and letting CS remove it.

I do have questions about Sir Robert -- there are no sources listed for him except web trees, and I can't find him anywhere except the web trees.

Do we have sources for him?

tagging
Private User
Private User
William Arthur Hudson, Jr
Private User
Chelsea Otero (Andress)

11/4/2017 at 6:43 AM

Bump

11/4/2017 at 4:16 PM

I've received no response to this discussion, and though it's only been about a week, I am deeply and very sure that there ARE no sources that are both reliable and attest to the existence of these people who have impossible names.

I'm going to cut the top of the tree off and lock it down.

Private User
11/14/2017 at 1:27 PM

Much appreciate your review, and support your actions. -Ben.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion