Grisogona Porter (Stradling) - Grisgona Stradling: Any real evidence?

Started by Anne Brannen on Wednesday, February 21, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
2/21/2018 at 3:40 PM

In the course of working on the Stradlings and their Welsh branches, and now I finally get to deal with a profile that has been bugging me every time I see it. For I believe in it not.

Here is why:

1) The large number of children fathered by Sir Edward Stradling, by either his wife the three women he had children with but did not marry, is well attested in the Welsh Genealogies, as well they should be, as this is an important family. There is no Grisgona in the tree. Any where.

2) Indeed, there is no Grisgona ANYWHERE in the Welsh Genealogies, either attached to a Stradling, or anybody by any other name, because Grisgona is not a Welsh name, nor is it one occasionally used by the Welsh. Ever, as far as I can tell.

3) BUT Grisgona Stradling, married to Anthony Porter, DOES show up in lots and lots and lots of web trees, some on ancestry.com, some on rootsweb -- none of them have any sources other than referents to family trees. None.

4) As a matter of fact, the web trees that have Grisgona in them also have garblings of Welsh genealogy -- my favorite is that the mythical Grisgrona and her real siblings all supposedly have a brother named "Bricle," who is married to a woman named "Lusan." This one I was actually able to figure out -- this is meant to be a sister named "Brigid" (not a Welsh name per se, but, unlike Grisgona, one which the Welsh do use) who was married to a man named "Lleision."

As is probably obvious, I don't believe this woman existed. Unlike Bricle, she isn't a corruption of somebody already in the tree -- they would have to be married to somebody who could be Anthony Powell, and nobody fits.

But! I can of course be persuaded!

Does anyone have any reliable -- NOT web tree -- evidence as to the existence of this woman?

If not, we need to cut her loose; she doesn't belong in this tree. It would be great to figure out who was really married to Anthony Powell, too, but at the moment I'm focusing on the Stradlings.

2/24/2018 at 12:02 AM

Am cutting her loose.

If reliable evidence appears we can reattach her.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion