• Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
10/7/2018 at 12:45 PM

This John Martin was probably born 10-15 years earlier since we know his daughter Anne was born about 1655. He was married to a woman named Christian, maiden name unknown, born abt.1639. They had three or four children, Anne, Christian, and John Jr, and possibly Francis (Francis might be a grandson). John died by 1674 and his widow, Christian married a man named Francis Waddington. They had one child, Francis Waddington, Jr.

10/7/2018 at 2:02 PM

This is most of what's known about the first John Martin. A man named John Martin appears in early court records in the Stafford area, but there are no documents that clearly identify him as the man married to Christian.

Thomas Fowke received a land grant in Westmoreland County in 1654 for the transport of 10 persons, including a John Martin

John Martin was appointed appraiser of the estate of Edward Cary in Westmoreland County, Feb. 1663/64 John Martin appears in other court records of early Stafford County as a juror or appraiser.

No record of marriage, no record of death, no will

Christian Martin was married to Francis Waddington by 1675 (son Francis Waddington born in 1675) so John Martin must have died by 1674.
Deposition of daughter, Ann is the only record I could find that names John Martin and any family:
February the 5th 1730/1 The Deposition of Ann Mackferson of Stafford County aged about 63 years the Deponent… being duly sworn sayeth that Frances Golber came to her and asked her whether or no she was the Daughter of Francis Warrington’s wife which the aforesaid Ann said she was then replyed Frances Golber you are my own Cousin for your mother & my mother is two sisters. Deponent further sayeth that her mother which was then Warrington’s wife but sometime before had been the wife of John Martin deceased informed her at several times that Francis Golber was her own Sisters child & the Deponent further declareth that the aforesaid Francis (Golber) which was after the wife of Thomas White deceased always acknowledged Warrington’s wife to be her Aunt & futher the deponent sayeth not…. Ann x Mackferson 5th February 1730 Ann Mackferson came ….made oath which on motion of John Jones admitted to record.

There was a lengthy court case regarding land that had belonged to John Martin. It was apparently sold twice (at the same time) to two different parties. John’s widow, Christian Waddington, made a deposition in the case in 1689:

Christn. Waddington aged Fifty yeares or thereabouts Depons. that John Smith for and on behalfe of Ann his Wife an Infant undr ye age of twenty & one yeares Daughter to John Axton late of Stafford County deced agt John Gowry & Rachell his Wife Deft (entry very faded) That Mr. Wm. Horton being imployed as Agent for John Axton...share of six hundred acres of land within County of Stafford...Potomack Creeke...& Edward Cary...for one HENRY BLAGRAVE & MARY his Wife one of ye Daughters of Capt. DAVID MANSFIELD...at the Plantation of my husband where the sd Cary & Axton made their cropps for that yeare the tobo the sd BLAGRAVE there Recd upon the West of the sd Parcel & being Fifteene hundred pounds nett at least... Signed: Christian (X) Waddington. Sworne & recorded in the County Court of Stafford the 9 day of June 1689

(Deed and Will Abstracts of Stafford County 1686-1689, Eds. Ruth and Sam Sparacio, McLean VA 1989 pp.

Private User
10/7/2018 at 3:05 PM

That is my John Martin wife Christian latter Waddington.

Private User
10/7/2018 at 3:11 PM

That is my John Martin wife Christian latter Waddington .John Martin had a son with Christian before he die John Martin JR. John Marin Jr. married Elizabeth Johnson..

10/7/2018 at 4:23 PM

John Martin, Jr, son of John and Christian, was married to a woman named Mary. Her name is on deeds. Your John Martin might be a later generation.

Private User
6/4/2020 at 8:34 PM

We don't "know" his daughter Anne was born about 1655. His daughter Anne was born 1667/68.

1721-1735 King George County Deed Book 1-A, (Antient Press); pp. 120 February the 5th 1730/1. The Deposition of ANN MACKFERSON of Stafford County aged about 63 years the Deponent .. being duly sworn sayeth that FRANCES GOLBER came to her & asked her whether or not she was the Daughter of FRANCIS WADDINGTON'S wife which the aforesaid ANN said she was then replyed ffRANCES GOLBER you are my own Cousin for your mother & my mother is two sisters Deponent further sayeth that her mother which was then WARRINGTONS wife but sometime before had been the wife of JOHN MARTIN deceased informed her at several times that ffRANCES GOLBER was her own Sisters child & the Deponent further Declareth that the aforesaid ffRANCES (GOLBER) which was after was the wife of THOMAS WHITE Deceased always acknowledged WADDINGTON'S wife to be her Aunt & further the Deponent sayeth not .. Ann x Mackfereson 5th February 1730 .. ANN MACKFERESON came .. made oath which on motion of JAMES JONES admitted to record.

Private User
6/4/2020 at 9:44 PM

Minor points, but the land you are referring to above was not John Martin's land, it was Henry Blagrave, Sr. and wife Mary Mansfield's land.

Christian (MNU) Martin Waddington testifies that the joint buyers of that land in 1660 , John Axton (Axoll/Echols) and Edward Carey(Cary), had grown a crop of 1400 pounds of tobacco "the year before on her husband's land." These same 1400 pounds of tobacco were then used by Carey and Axton in order to buy the (apparently neighboring) 600 acre Henry Blagrave, Sr. tract.

The land was also not sold at the same time.

Edward Carey died about February of 1664 (new style) when his will was probated in Westmoreland County, Virginia. Of course Stafford was part of Westmoreland at that time, so this probably occurred in today's Stafford. John Martin appraised Edward Carey's estate.

Edward Carey's partner in the early 1660 purchase, John Axton, inherited full rights and ownership in the land after Edward's death. However John lived in New Kent County / King and Queen,. and the Stafford land was apparently uncleared and unoccupied.

Then in 1686, 26 years after the first sale, Henry Blagrave, Jr., Henry Blagrave;'s son, sold the same apparently unoccupied land to John Gowry..

This resulted in a 1687 lawsuit wherein Christian MNU Martin Waddington testified to events that had occurred about 27 years earlier in 1660. The wording suggests she was already married to her first husband John Martin at this time. She also testified that her age in 1687 was about 50, placing her birth at about 1637. .

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion