Jeremiah III married Mary Newman
George m. Ann. Hannah Westfall
John m. Elizabeth Claypool
Abigale m. Joseph Claypool
Pheobe Osborn

3/2/2022 at 10:04 PM

Re: Jeremiah Osborne of the South Fork

From https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/discussions/LBBL-7S3

WARNING! TWO DIFFERENT OSBORN FAMILIES WHOSE DESCENDANTS HAVE THE SAME NAMES ARE BEING CONFUSED!

DNA analyses is a rapidly advancing technology that family history researchers can use to supplement conventional records-based research. It is particularly useful in surmounting brick walls that we all encounter due to missing or ambiguous written records. My sixth great-grandfather was Jeremiah Osborne, who was living on lot #18 of the South Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River in 1748 when his land was surveyed by the James Genns survey team, which included the young George Washington.

Jeremiah had three sons: George, Jeremiah Jr., and John. Searching the Internet, I found DNA data for descendants of all three sons. All three DNA sets (haplotypes) matched exactly (28/28 comparable markers). This was both surprising and gratifying, considering that they represented three separate branches of Jeremiah's family, each tested by a different DNA company. Jeremiah’s haplotype, which would be the same as that of his three sons, was then compared with the haplotypes for two confirmed descendants of Thomas Osbourne, who was the founder of New Haven, Connecticut, and is thought to be the ancestor of many of the early American Osborns.

Thomas and Jeremiah's haplotypes were the same except for one marker. Thomas and his descendents have DYS391=11, whereas Jeremiah and his descendants have DYS391=12 This close but not exact DNA correspondence indicates that my Jeremiah definitely shares a common ancestor with Thomas Osbourne, but probably does not descend directly from Thomas.

More importantly, finding that my Osbourne family is characterized by DYS391=12 allowed me to search the online DNA data bases and find five other American Osborne lines with exactly the same haplotype as my Jeremiah, indicating a very close family relationship. These five lines all appear to originate in Virginia or the Carolinas rather than New Jersey or Connecticut.

This means that great care must be exercised to avoid confusing the families and replacing Jeremiah of the South Fork's descendants with Thomas' descendants!

3/3/2022 at 12:12 AM

Jeremiah Osborne, Jr. Is Not the same person as Jeremiah Osborne of the South Fork Jeremiah Osborne, Sr. Was not the father of Jeremiah Osborne of the South Fork Y DNA does not match.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion