John P. Overton - Conflicting Parents

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Monday, August 23, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
8/23/2021 at 8:42 PM

John P. Overton has conflicting parents connected.

10/23/2021 at 10:46 AM

Tree needs work.

John Overton

Born 5 Jul 1585 in Easington, Yorkshire, England Son of William Overton and Elizabeth (Wright) Overton
Husband of Joane (Snawsell) Overton — married 1606 in York Archdiocese, Yorkshire, England
Husband of Joananne (Palmer) Overton — married 1606 in Easing ton, England
Father of Robert Overton, Samuel Overton, Grizell (Overton) Williamson and Mary Overton

Online source: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Overton-25

10/23/2021 at 11:03 AM

It gets worse. I think John Overton, Esq. parents are conflated. I’m disconnecting from William (or Henry) Overton
Until someone makes sense of it.
—-

Research Notes

Unsourced profile, notes on looking for sources .. he is said to be a bishop but no bishop of that name found except for the existing Wikitree profile for a Bishop William Overton who is "said to have been of the same family as Robert Overton the major-general".[1] No evidence is presented by D.N.B. for that, and the details are totally different to this profile - Born in London about 1525, first wife Margaret Barlow, second wife Mary Bradstock, buried at Eccleshall 1609.

Birth and death dates - Easington parish registers do not survive before 1654 (1720 online) with some patchy bishop's transcripts from 1600, so no register entries will be available. No William Overton is mentioned in York will indexes around this time, but there is a Henry Overton of Easington, yeoman, who died in 1595, leaving a will dated 14 April 1595 and proved 23 June 1595 at York, vol 26 folio 134.[2] The FamilySearch tree and many Ancestry trees have mixed Henry with William and called him Rev or Bishop William Henry Overton.

The son shown here, John Overton, probably does not belong to either William or Henry. He left a will 20 July 1648 with a codicil 1650, mentioning his brothers William and Christopher and "my loving uncle Mr Gabriell Catherall".[3] There is a marriage of Christopher Overton and Ellen Catherall in 1574 at Hollym, about 7 miles from Easington, and he seems to be the most likely father on present information. Detailed notes by William L Deyo in his book The family and ancestry of William Dabney have Christopher as the father but Miss Wright as the mother, and state that Gabriel was her half brother, son of her mother's second husband John Catherall. He does not mention the marriage to Ellen Catherall.[4] Is Ellen in fact "Miss Wright" who had taken her stepfather's name? "Mrs Ellen Overton" was buried at Easington 21 October 1600[5] so further research needed to place her.

10/23/2021 at 1:10 PM

Oh my. It does sound like more work is needed.

They're directs for me that I didn't know about until an Anderson cousin put them together here on Geni. I personally haven't worked on them to know much about them at all except what was already on here.

10/23/2021 at 2:31 PM

http://www.geneajourney.com/overton.html

Overton of Yorkshire, England, and New Kent, Virginia

Christopher Overton b abt 1550, of Easington, Holdnerness, Yorkshire, England. He md Daughter Wright abt 1574. She was b abt 1555.

Child of Christopher Overton and Daughter Wright was:

John Overton b abt 1582, of Easington, Holdnerness, Yorkshire, England, d 1654, Yorkshire, England. He md Joane Snawsell 1606, daughter of Robert Snawsell and Anne Waters

—-

I think that’s a good as we get in Overton origins, but the Snawsell line goes back - we have a good Visitation record.

I doubt you are related, Debbie. The Overton - Anderson connection seems spurious.

10/23/2021 at 10:19 PM

I had wondered about the Anderson connections, because for decades one of my cousins had researched those lines and hit a deadend. Then another cousin connected more profiles on Geni. I was very skeptical, but I added them to my Ancestry tree as speculation to work on and then I suddenly began to get DNA matching cousins on those lines in ThruLines. So, there is DNA evidence of relationships up the line to Capt. David Meriwether Anderson I, my 5th ggf but Ancestry doesn't match the grandparents in ThruLines beyond the the 5th grandparents. So it seems I need to retrace the documentation from my 5th great-grandparents on back to see if it holds up or if there are errors.

10/23/2021 at 10:20 PM

Correction...Capt. David M. Anderson is my 4th great-grandfather, my son's 5th. My son is set as the home person in our tree and I often forget that the relationship showing is his, not mine.

10/23/2021 at 10:26 PM

So Ancestry shows me with 62 DNA matches through Richard Anderson (father of the above-mentioned Capt. David M. Anderson), my 5th ggf and that's as far on those lines as I can use DNA to validate the connections.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion