Okowellos Paxinosa "Hard-Striker" Whitefish KeighTughQuah Cornstalk - Duplicates

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Wednesday, September 1, 2021
Showing all 11 posts
9/1/2021 at 10:34 AM

Is this the same person and they need merging?

Okawela

9/1/2021 at 11:22 AM

I'm uncertain. I saw a note in the profile saying it 'may' be the same, so I was hoping someone better acquainted with the lines and connections might be able to confirm or refute if they are. The dates are the same on both profiles, however.

9/2/2021 at 10:53 AM

I can merge but I’d disconnect Sarah Catherine House as his child. The mother given by source was impossible - Hannah House of Connecticut - and I’m finding that this House family had a likely fraudulent genealogy scam. So more evidence needed.

9/2/2021 at 11:20 AM

Ahhh, interesting to note. The House line is how I arrived at this profile, as it's an inlaw connection on my son's paternal side...going from his Helms line to Presley / House connections. Which is why I don't know enough about the connections to work with them.

9/2/2021 at 4:42 PM

http://jvrichardsonjr.net/genealogy/HHA.pdf

A group of like-minded individuals organized in Richmond, Indiana and again in Chicago, Illinois. They created the House Heirs Association (HHA)2 for descendants of an alleged Andrew Valentine group of like-minded individuals organized in Richmond, Indiana and again in Chicago, Illinois. They created the House Heirs Association (HHA)2 for descendants of an alleged Andrew Valentine. …

9/4/2021 at 7:00 AM

I know all about the heirs ....however that does not disprove sarah catherines houses lineage either, which i know you all know-- just wanted to point out the reminder what what we know.

The friends associstion has sarah married to john valentine. They had Levi who was a spy.

Therefore we could potentially be in territory of people wanting their identies hidden.

My observation has been that stories are far too often not used at all. Someonr jumps on "wheres documentation" and seems to want the chapter closed. I for one need to know my ancestry and to do that we need to honor the stories. A story is how we know levi was a spy...its in the pension record.

So might not be a clear fraud driven by money...it might jave been life or death at the time of the war.

Before the chimes happen about documentation...i was an auditor. Yes documentation is kjng. But in this case with no documents we do need to build a plausible story.

For example People destroy documnets all the time and we dont just say theres no proof and therefore it didnt happen.

We can work through the clues and work through the story. Wish i could attach this thread both families.

Clearly this is an interesting line to say the least

9/4/2021 at 11:02 AM

So I’m finding there are ways to document when there are no documents. I can’t do it, but anyone who “has the origin story” can and should. When that’s done, peer review.

Make text documents “on the fly” as to when you “heard” and origin story and from whom.

Example (made up): my great aunt Rita told us in the mid 1980s we had Shawnee ancestry.

Any cousins who also have the story do likewise in their own text document.

Example (made up): I heard we had Shawnee ancestry at a family reunion in 2005, not sure who from.

And thus - you accrue evidence.

9/5/2021 at 6:21 AM

Great suggestion from Erica. Thank you.
Let's please start collecting these stories in the way she suggested. What a bigger story this will most likely will tell....

Erica Howton I may post this same suggestion on some of the other records that tie as well.

Erica Howton

These notes may help, not sure just placing them here for consideration

NOTE: Puckshinwa must not be confused with Paxinosa 'Hard Striker' (Paxnous, Paxinos, etc.). a well-known chief in Pennsylvania who is a generation older than Puckshinwa. Paxinosa was married to a Moravian convert named Elizabeth, and he died in 1761, seven years before Tecumseh was born. The names, despite their similarity, have different etymologies. https://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&a...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paxinos. A Minisink and subsequently a Shawnee chief of the 17th and 18th centuries. He appears first in history in 1680, when as sachem of the Minisink he sent 40 men to join the Mohawk in an expedition against the French, and 10 years later was sent by his tribe to confer with Gov. Dongan of New York in regard to engaging in the war against the same nation. About 1692 or 1694 a small body of Shawnee settled among the Munsee, of whom the Minisink formed a division, and possibly Paxinos may have been one of this party.

He was married about 1717. As early at least as 1754 he is referred to as the old chief of the Shawnee 1, and is so designated in the New York Colonial Documents wherever referred to. Heckewelder 2, confirmed by Brinton, also says he was the chief of the Shawnee. He removed from Minisink to the Delaware country, but at what date is unknown, his next appearance being in connection with the difficulties which grew out of the removal of the Delawares to Wyoming, Pennsylvania.

After the death, in 1749, of Shekellimus, the father of Logan, who had been a friend of the Moravian missionaries, the latter were fortunate in gaining the friendship of Paxinos. In 1754 he, with Tedyuskung, warned the people of Gnadenhuetten to remove to Wajomick (Wyoming), Pennsylvania; but for this their lives would have been in danger. The next year Paxinos renewed the warning and demanded an answer in the name of the Hurons.

His wife, for whom he had great affection and to whom he had been married for 38 years, was converted and baptized with Paxinos consent. Soon after his last visit the Moravian settlement at Shamokin was attacked, and hearing of the danger to which the missionary Kiefer was exposed, Paxinos sent his two sons to conduct him to a place of safety.

He was present with chiefs of other tribes at Ft Johnson, N. Y., Apr. 15-19, 1757, in conference with Sir William Johnson regarding lines of travel and trade 3, and also at the conference with Gov. Denny at Easton, Pennsylvania, in August of the same year 4. Paxinos removed with his family to Ohio in 1755 or 1758, where his tribesmen joined in the war against the English. It is probable that he died shortly after this time. He left two sons, Kolapeka and Teatapercaum, the latter a chief of some note in the war of 1764 5.

His name is given in various forms, as Paxihos, Paxinosa, Paxnos, Paxnous, Paxowan, Paxsinos, etc.

https://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/shawnee-indian-chiefs-and-le... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Paxinos removed with his family to Ohio in 1755 or 1758, where his tribesmen joined in the war inst the English. It is prob- able that e died shortly after this time. He left two sons, Kolapeka and Testsapercanm, the latter a chief of some note in the war of 1764 (Ruttenber, Tribes Hudson R., 306, 1872). https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=mABSxpaH0O4C&printsec=f... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

American National Biography (2002) by Oxford University Press, lists in Cornstalks entry, Hokoleskwa, as meaning "a blade of corn". Original names are rendered in white settlers' records as Colesqua, Keightughque, and Semachquaan. A1764 document identifies him with Tawnamebuck, a Shawnee who attended the Lancaster Treaty proceedings in Pennsylvania in 1748, but probably is in error. In a speech of 1775, Cornstalk seems to describe himself as the son of White Fish, but Matthew Arbuckle, who knew them both, implies otherwise in a letter of December 1776. Moravian missionary records indicate that he was the son or grandson of noted headman Paxinosa, and circumstances suggest this to be true.

http://shawnee-bluejacket.com/chiefs.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PAXINOSA (PAXNOUS, PAXIHOS)

Paxinosa was a noted chief of the Shawnees. His first ap- pearance in history is among the Shawnees at Pechoquealin, near the Delaware Water Gap, and it is probable that he was one of the band of this tribe which Arnold Viele conducted to that region from the lower Ohio Valley, in 1794, as set forth in Chapter II. He removed from the Pechoquealin and Minisink region, and took up his abode just below Plymouth, Luzerne County, among the other Shawnees who had removed from Pechoquealin to that place. The date of his removal from Pechoquealin, however, is not known. As stated in Chapter VIII, Kakowatcheky, who had been chief of the Shawnees at Wyoming, removed to the Ohio Valley in 1743. A few years later, Paxinosa succeeded him as chief of the Shawnees at Wyoming.

Paxinosa Joins in Sale of Lands Between Susquehanna and Delaware Rivers

As stated in Chapter XII, the Six Nations, on August 22nd, 1749, sold to the Colony of Pennsylvania, a vast tract of land be- tween the Susquehanna and the Delaware, including all or parts of the present counties of Dauphin, Northumberland, Lebanon, Schuylkill, Columbia, Carbon, Luzerne, Monroe, Pike and Wayne. Paxinosa, as chief of the Shawnees at Wyoming, joined in the sale of these lands. The sale was made at Philadelphia.

https://archive.org/stream/indianchiefsofpe00sipe/indianchiefsofpe0... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ One of the earliest chiefs of the Shawanoes, of whom record has been preserved, was PAXINOS or Paxinosa, who came to the Minnisink country in 1 692, and who appears, in the records of New York, as chief of the Minnisinks.

History of the Indian Tribes of Hudson's River, Their Origin, Manners and Customs, Tribal and Sub-tribal Organizations, Wars, Treaties, Etc., Etc - Edward Manning Ruttenber Page 305 https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=b7tAAAAAYAAJ&printsec=f...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Munsee Indians, Munsee People, Munsee First Nation (Min-asin-ink, at the place where stones are gathered together. Hewitt). One of the three principal divisions of the Delaware, the others being the Unami and Unalachtigo, from whom their dialect differed so much that they have frequently been regarded as a distinct tribe. According to Morgan they have the same three gentes as the Delaware proper, viz, Wolf (Tookseat ), Turtle (Pokekooungo), and Turkey (Pullaook). Brinton says these were totemic designations for the three geographic divisions of the Delaware and had no reference to gentes. However this may be, the Wolf has commonly been regarded as the totem of the Munsee, who have frequently been called the Wolf tribe of the Delaware.

The Munsee originally occupied the headwaters of Delaware river in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, extending south to Lehigh river, and also held the west bank of the Hudson from the Catskill mountains nearly to the New Jersey line. They had the Mahican and Wappinger on the north and east, and the Delaware on the south and southeast, and were regarded as the protecting barrier between the latter tribe and the Iroquois. Their council village was Minisink, probably in Sussex county, N. J. According to Ruttenber they were divided into the Minisink, Waoranec, Warranawonkong, Mamekoting, Wawarsink, and Catskill. The Minisink formed the principal division of the Munsee, and the two names have often been confounded. The bands along the Hudson were prominent in the early history of New York, but as white settlements increased most of them joined their relatives on the Delaware. In 1756 those remaining in New York were placed upon lands in Schoharie County and were incorporated with the Mohawk. By a fraudulent treaty, known as the Walking Purchase, the main body of the Munsee was forced to remove from the Delaware about the year 1740, and settled at Wyalusing the Susquehanna on lands assigned them by the Iroquois. Soon after this they removed to Allegheny river, Pa., where some of them had settled as early as 1724. The Moravian missionaries had already begun their work among then, and a considerable number under their teaching drew off from the tribe and became a separate organization. The others moved west with the Delaware into Indiana, where most of them were incorporated with that tribe, while others joined the Chippewa, Shawnee, and other tribes, so that the Munsee practically ceased to exist as an organized body. Many removed to Canada and settled near their relatives, the Moravian Indians.

On account of the connection of the Munsee with other tribes, it is impossible to estimate their numbers at any period. In 1765 those on the Susquehanna were about 750 in 1843 those in the United States were chiefly with the Delaware in Kansas, and numbered about 200, while others were with the Shawnee and Stockbridge, besides those in Canada. In 1885 the only Munsee officially recognized in the United States were living with a band of Chippewa in Franklin county, Kans., both together numbering only 72. The two bands were united in 1859, and others are incorporated with the Cherokee in Indian Territory, having joined them about 1868.

These Munsee were more commonly known in recent years as Christians. In Canada the band of Munsee settled with the Chippewa on Thames river, in Caradoc township, Middlesex County, Ontario, numbered 119 in 1886, while the Moravians, who are mainly Munsee, living near them in Oxford township, Kent County, numbered 275 in 1884. According to the Canadian Ind. Aff. Rep. for 1906, the Moravians of the Thames numbered 348 persons, and the Munsee of the Thames numbered 118. There are also a few with the Stockbridge at Green Bay agency, Wis.

The Munsee have been parties to the following treaties with the United States:

Treaty of Fort Industry, O., July 4, 1805, with the Ottawa, Wyandot, and other tribes. Appendix to the Menominee treaty with the United States at Green Bay, Wis., Oct. 27, 1832, by the Stockbridge, Munsee, Brotherton, and others. Treaty of Stockbridge, Wis., Sept. 3, 1839, by Stockbridge and Munsee. Treaty of Stockbridge, Wis., Feb. 5, 1856, amending treaty of Sept. 3, 1839. Treaty at Sac and Fox agency, Kans., July 16, 1859, in connection with certain Chippewa. https://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/munsee-tribe.htm

Chief Paxinosa

Don't believe that Okowellos was the same person as Paxinosa/Hard Striker

9/13/2021 at 10:10 AM

Agree. Okowellos was not Paxinosa/Hard Striker

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion