• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
Showing all 15 posts
Private User
9/7/2021 at 1:49 AM

Cast in stone ?
Finding lots of incorrect Gravestones on a zillion Graves.
Different from actual death notices or marriage or baptism documents.
Names often different , d.o.b. and /or date of death.
Often new gravestones erected long after death.
Like 1992 for death 1843 !
So do we follow information on death notices or gravestones

9/7/2021 at 2:22 AM

Hello Phillipp

You would need to look at the timing and actual source person for each item of information, also the nature of the physical record.

There's much to be said about the quality of evidence, also the distinction(s) to be drawn between direct evidence and indirect evidence.

Suggest you look at the Board for Certified Genealogists https://bcgcertification.org/about/ and especially articles by Prof. Tom Jones. Also National Genealogical Society https://www.ngsgenealogy.org/ -- both in the US

Boston University runs an Online Genealogy Certificate (about a 6 - 8 week programme) -- a mind-blowing learning opportunity, which I can highly recommend.

Kind regards

Adv. Dave Mitchell
Cape Town, South Africa

Private User
9/7/2021 at 4:11 AM

I would look at the book the that they enter plot number and date details thats how I found out about my Uncle also the granite was stolen off the grave as every thing is entered in a book

Private User
9/7/2021 at 5:20 AM

I found many contradictions with research on history and geni. the problem is that often a respectable person simply takes information over from other sources without checking for correctness.

Private User
9/7/2021 at 6:03 AM

DJ Mitchell --thx . Mitchell ? my grandfather's sisters husband but they most gone from SA .

What does one do ? Information from a Death Notice or the Gravestone ?

Private User
9/7/2021 at 10:54 AM

In most instances the Death Notice contains more reliable information. Sometimes the family took liberty with the deceased's information.on the gravestone.

9/8/2021 at 12:20 AM

I would probably try to find the death certificate or death notice. Gravestones are added, often, long after death. So maybe that is why the dates differ. Or family simply take a stab at date.
Also seen baptism or birth dates differ by a year on the gravestone.

Private User
9/8/2021 at 1:14 AM

Does detail really matter so much? The person is dead, so you can't change that fact, and if he died three days before the date on the tombstone, does it really hurt?

Private User
9/8/2021 at 1:26 AM

Albrecht -- yes it matters .

similar named in dividuals often die same period .
e.g. found 2 FJ van Rensburg born1872 died 1960 --two different men .
On Geni they each had the others d.o.b and death , wrong parents but correct wife and children .
It matters very much .

I am one of 3 JP Weyers : born 1956 - alive , 1957 died 2001 , 1958 - alive

So easy to go wrong .

9/8/2021 at 2:58 AM

I would say that the documentation at death would take preference above a gravestone.
The information on death the notice is legal as far as I know, while the gravestone is mostly a private matter.
If the gravestone data is the best you have, you could use it till better data comes available.

Private User
9/8/2021 at 4:57 AM

Adriaan - that's exactly what I would think .

Private User
9/8/2021 at 2:42 PM

The more contemporaneous the record the better.

My great grandfather's year of birth is incorrect on his gravestone and Death Notice. But it's correct on his baptismal entry i.e. records produced at the time of the event, or closest to often prove more accurate.

"Does detail really matter so much?" I'm constantly thinking I should have his gravestone replaced. He died in 1935. Before I was born. Next question, do I have the right? I don't think I do, never knew him.

Private User
9/9/2021 at 1:11 AM

OK then it matters. sorry.

Private User
9/9/2021 at 7:10 AM

Drummond Corrie --as his descendant it is your duty to correct the mistake ----

Albrecht --the little things , the nail , the shoe , the horse . the battle ----

Private User
9/13/2021 at 6:47 AM

@ Thanks for this discussion. I realised a few months ago that the information on my Grandfather Botha's gravestone are wrong. To many people contributing to that information.
I think that the information on the death notice would be more correct than gravestones. That is an official document which I have found up to now being a great help.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion