DVN

Started by Private User on Thursday, September 9, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
9/9/2021 at 11:20 PM

De Villiers Numbering in SA
It is just a guideline not definite and not immutable.
Often incorrect as wrong children attached to wrong parents and sources not confirmed.
a1b4c3 just a guide number added by some person , it does not appear on any primary source ever.
Today baptized a4v3c7 ?

Private User
9/10/2021 at 3:10 AM

de Villiers/Pama System

The de Villiers/Pama System gives letters to generations, and then numbers children in birth order. For example:

a Progenitor
b1 Child
c1 Grandchild
d1 Great-grandchild
d2 Great-grandchild
c2 Grandchild
c3 Grandchild
b2 Child
c1 Grandchild
d1 Great-grandchild
d2 Great-grandchild
d3 Great-grandchild
c2 Grandchild
c3 Grandchild

In this system, b2.c3 is the third child of the second child,[8] and is one of the progenitor's grandchildren.

The de Villiers/Pama system is the standard for genealogical works in South Africa. It was developed in the 19th century by Christoffel Coetzee de Villiers and used in his three volume Geslachtregister der Oude Kaapsche Familien (Genealogies of Old Cape Families). The system was refined by Dr. Cornelis (Cor) Pama, one of the founding members of the Genealogical Society of South Africa.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_numbering_systems

9/11/2021 at 7:25 AM

Agreed, it is a great tool but not immutable. With the naming conventions of the past this tool really has helped make sense of the long lines of exact names carried down generation to generation. Seems to have petered out in recent times though, at least that is my perception.

The gold standard however, remains DNA wherever possible and documents next. Documents, as have been demonstrated can lie but DNA never does above a certain threshold. Some interesting skeletons have rattled out of the cupboards as a result. :)

Private User
9/11/2021 at 8:37 AM

Sharon -- Appel & Botha best example.

9/12/2021 at 7:38 AM

Absolutely. Since I descend from one of the younger sons it was quite the discovery finding that one out. But it certainly wasn't the only one by far. Birth certificates are notoriously falsified or left blank,, which is at least honest.

I think people get disillusioned with the Parma system when they find an error and don't know how to fix it. That is always the most annoying for me. If I find an error and the systems don't allow editing or it isn't obvious or it is a real rigmarole to get it changed. That is why or perhaps a big reason why people abandon the system.

Private User
9/12/2021 at 7:57 AM

Sharon -- or keep on fighting for changes and corrections.
Sure the Appel DNA had a few DVN upsets.
Myself descendant of Appel and Botha.
My problem is 30 % Iberian atDNA . I KNOW OF fidel de Montoya as ancestor but where does he fit in

9/13/2021 at 9:58 AM

That too.

The Iberian ethnicity appears in many older SA families. Though not usually 30% That is quite high indicating a grandfather/mother. My suggestion is to investigate your lines for maternal and paternal grandparents. Sometimes lines aren't what we thought they were :(

Wish you all the best with the investigation. I have found some good genealogists on Utube who will help with these ethnic percentages. DNA Family trees in particular has this specialty. Give it a try.

Private User
9/13/2021 at 10:03 AM

Thx Sharon Atherstone Jacob -- my 4th highest atDNA surname Jacob ,Jacobs ,Jacobsz and Jacobsen

9/14/2021 at 9:51 AM

How interesting. The Jacobs family were very prolific. I match to them on both side of my family. Endogamy in SA. Jacobsen? Hmm, that could be Jewish or Scandinavian. Do you have your DNA on multiple platforms? That Iberian ethnicity should throw up someone above 400cM if the person/s have tested their DNA.

Good luck!
Sharon

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion