Sir Robert Denholme, Kt., of Westshield - mixed up generations

Started by ELIZABETH JONES on Monday, September 13, 2021
Showing all 6 posts
9/13/2021 at 1:26 PM

Sir William Denham, 1st Baronet of Westshield William Denholm MP was born in 1630 and Katherine/Catherine Erskine (daughter of Baron Henry Erskin of Culross) was his 3rd wife and was born in 1675 whereas Sir Robert Denholme, Kt., of Westshield Denholm was born around 1667. I do not think he married Catherine Erskine

Private User
9/13/2021 at 7:33 PM

They appear to be duplicate family groups, with the MP's given name of "Robert" being in error. I would change the MP's given name to "William" and merge the two. The dates and extended lineages should be checked, too.

In these notes of the family of Denham/Denholme of Westshields, taken from an article in "The Scottish Antiquary", Volume 5, number 18 (c.1890):

6. Robert Denham of Westshield was a member of the War Committee for Lanarkshire 1646-49.

7. Robert Denham of Westshield married (first) Janet, eldest daughter of James Steuart, eighth of Allanton. She died soon after marriage, and he married (secondly) Marion Carmichael, siser of the first Lord Carmichael, and widow of James Steuart the younger of Allanton (his first wife's brother, who died 1607, leaving issue).

12. William Denholm of Westchields was one of those against whom a sentence of forfeiture was passed in 1685, "Acta Parl. Scot., viii. 490). It was rescinded in 1690, and he was elected M.P. for the County of Lanark in that year, and took his oaths and his seat on the 3rd September. He seems to have sat continuously for Lanarkshire till 1702, and to have held the office of Mint-master.

~ He married (first) Elizabeth, third daughter of Sir John Henderson, Knight of Fordell (D.B. 520).

~ He married (secondly) Anne, second daughter of Sir Alexander Maxwell of Saughton Hall, who was son of Sir James Maxwell of Calderwood by his third marriage (8th September 1610) with Lady Margaret Cunninghame (D.B. 55, where he is termed Sir William Denholm of Westshiels).

~ He married (thirdly) Hon. Catherine Erskine, eldest daughter of Henry, third Lord Cardross (D.P. i. 276, where he is styled 'Sir William Denholm of Westshields, Bart.'

This is the earliest instance of the title of Baronet being attributed to the Westshields family. There is no mention of the creation of any such title in Milne's List of Nova Scotia Baronets, in Burkes "Extinct Baronetage", or in Solly's "Titles of Honour").

Sir William made a settlement of his estates in 1711, and died 1712, sans progeny.

Footnotes:

1. Mr. Foster, in his "Peerage" (1880, p. 454) says that Anne, daughter of Sir John Henderson, Baronet of Fordel, married (first) Hon. Archibald Stuart of Dunearn; (secondly), Captain William Denham. This marriage is not mentioned in "Douglas".

2. Lady Denham married secondly, 4th April 1714, as second wife of Daniel Campbell of Shawfield, and had one daughter, Katherine Campbell (Mrs. Gordon).

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25516338?read-now=1&refreqid=excel...

Private User
9/13/2021 at 7:53 PM

Here we have another duplicate, this one being an MP for William:

Sir William Denham, 1st Baronet of Westshield

Private User
9/13/2021 at 11:20 PM

This should be the Marion Carmichael , whose marriages are not represented here.

9/14/2021 at 2:31 AM

Thank you for this full response Debra. I have been working through the genealogy of Catherine Erskine (Denholm & Campbell) on Wikitree and had to deal with William (there are a few!) who was incorrectly designated as Catherine's father. She was the daughter of Henry Erskine and Catherine Stewart. I have also had fun with the welter of sources, some more accurate than others .

Private User
9/14/2021 at 3:26 AM

And thank you, Elizabeth, for bringing this matter to our attention.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion