Agatha White (Gibbs) - Parents

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Wednesday, September 22, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
9/22/2021 at 2:16 PM

It seems the only sources for her parents are from personal trees on My Heritage, etc. Nothing really documented. Her About section also shows her parents her maiden name as Golightly, which is what I see on Ancestry trees.

Agatha White (born Golightly)

There is a fairly recent merge for two women by each of these names:

Agatha White (Golightly) was merged into Agatha White (Gibbs) by Elyse(Deutscher)Vahjen(c).
Aug 29 at 10:23 AM ·

but there is nothing proving either set of parents. So who are the true parents of this Agatha? I'm seeing at least 8 trees on Ancestry with the Golightly couple as her parents.

If neither set of parents can be proven, it would be best to just disconnect her for all speculated parents so the Geni pathways aren't incorrect.

9/22/2021 at 2:17 PM

The Wiki link for her doesn't identify any parents for her.

3/10/2022 at 10:13 PM

Well, I'm back months later and no one has responded. The trees on Ancestry who have parents listed for her all have:

Father
Shands Golightly (1744–1832)

Mother
Elizabeth Lancaster (1743–1785)

No one has the Gibbs parents attached to her in their trees. They either have no parents listed or the Golightly parents.

Any assistance on documenting her correct parents would be greatly appreciated.

5/15/2022 at 7:45 AM

Geni is the only place where I've found Agatha's maiden name as Gibbs instead of Golightly. So I was Googling trying to find better documentation of her parents. Instead, I found this link: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/61157/images/461...

which shows a John White marrying an Agatha Gibbs and they had a son named Hiram who married a Mary King.

It 'almost' fits except the dates aren't exactly the same and our Hiram married Tabitha King, not Mary King.

But I can see how easily it would be to confuse such simiilar connections; whereas everyone else from Wiki to Ancestry trees has our Agatha's maiden name as Golightly.

Because Geni is the only site listing this Agatha as a Gibbs and yet no one has responded to my previous questions about this nor provided any proof that she was a Gibbs instead of a Golightly, I'm going ahead and disconnecting the unproven parents. It's better not to have questionable connections that give incorrect pathways. If her parents can be proven, they can always be connected.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion