Joel Falk - QUESTION about FALK family of BRAUNSBACH & family of Isidor STRAUS (of MACY's Dept store)

Started by Joel Knoblauch on Wednesday, October 20, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

10/20/2021 at 12:54 PM

Do you know any history/family-stories that connect(s) the BRAUNSBACH, GERMANY FALK family (closely) to the ISIDOR STRAUS family (of MACY's DEPARTMENT Store)?

I have seen on Geni:

Joel Falk
Isador Straus

Isador Straus is Joel Falk's great niece's husband's first cousin's wife's brother's wife's uncle.

Joel Falk
→ Salomon Falk
his brother → Sarah Pfeiffer
his daughter → Ida Pfeiffer Sahm
her daughter → David Sahm
her husband → Zizilie Sahm
his mother → Abraham Limburger
her brother → Richard Joseph Limburg
his son → Clara Limburg
his wife → Irving Lehman
her brother → Sara Lehman
his wife → Nathan Straus
her father → Isador Straus
his brother

Here is historical information about Abraham & STRAUS department store:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_%26_Straus

1800s - The store was founded in 1865 in Brooklyn, New York, as Wechsler & Abraham by Joseph Wechsler and Abraham Abraham. In 1893, the Straus family (including Isidor Straus and Nathan Straus), who acquired a general partnership with Macy's department stores in 1888, bought out Joseph Wechsler's interest in Wechsler & Abraham and changed the store's name to Abraham & Straus.

Isidor Straus family bought into Wechsler and ABRAHAM department store in New York, and changed the name.

////

I have understood that both WECHSLER and ABRAHAM were relatives to Isidor STRAUS; and I note that the/a WECHSLER family are immediate relatives of the FALK family from BRAUNSBACH, GERMANY.

Anecdotally, after Columbia Business SCHOOL my father, SIDNEY KNOBLAUCH (grandson of RABBI SAMUEL (Shimon Gershon) FALK/FALKOWITZ; and great grandson of one JOEL FALK) worked (1949-51) under Walter ROTHSCHILD at A&S in Brooklyn; and was subsequently told he was on track to be PRESIDENT of A&S , with WALTER Rothschild serving as CHAIRMAN of A&as.

Additionally, my great grandfather Rabbi SHIMON GERSHON FALK was sponsored by the NEW York JEWISH THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY (or its affiliated party) , to emigrate from VILNA GUBERNIA TO NEW York in the 1890's. Isidor STRAUS was the primary patron of the NEW YORK THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, in its early years.

Cheers,
Joel

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion