John Martin, of Old Rappahannock County - R-BY27212 (Y-DNA)

Started by Ken on Thursday, May 12, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
5/12/2022 at 8:14 PM

I have taken the BigY-700 test, and my haplogroup is a descendant branch of R-BY27212. There are 10 men who have taken the BigY test and are confirmed to be descendant branches of R-BY27212.

Can someone tell me how they determined that John Martin I is the R-BY27212 forefather?

I can also confirm that R-BY27212 descends from R-YP658, where we have matches to two men with deep roots in the Netherlands.

We have been trying to figure out whether this Martin branch is also related to the Galway, Ireland Martin branch, since about half of our BigY matches believe their immigrant forefather came from Ireland.

Contact me at kennethwwilliams@gmail.com for further information.

5/12/2022 at 8:26 PM

I don't know that a discussion on Geni about Y-DNA results will be of much use. I recommend the FTDNA Y-DNA Project for the Martin family. They have discussions related to the Y-DNA matches, etc. My son is a member on FTDNA for the project for his paternal surname and it was on FTNDA that one of my lines was sorted out by the surname project group years back.

5/13/2022 at 6:51 AM

With all due respect, Debbie, I belong to the Martin Surname Group, where I have numerous matches. We are trying every which way to prove the lineage, so I humbly disagree with you that Geni is not the place to discuss this. Just the opposite. We pay big bucks to belong to its parent company, and thus we have a right to ask questions and participate in discussions. I have 229 cousins following my private Facebook genealogy page, and many of us have spent decades trying to find our paternal ancestors and especially to find our immigrant forefather.

I have been researching my family since the 1970s. I have spent a fortune on testing. I have taken Advanced YDNA training. What I want to see are the facts. This profile has none, yet it is labeled a Master Profile and has incredibly important information like a YDNA haplogroup and a possible immigration clue. Where is the sourcing? Someone in Geni land put up this information.

For example, the YDNA is attributed to R-BY27212 based on a "private" tester at 67 Markers. I know for a fact that this cannot be possible. A 67 Markers test - which is no longer sold - only would show that the YDNA haplogroup is R-M198. The only way it could be R-BY27212 is if the tester took the BigY-500 (the old version) or BigY-700 (the new version). So why isn't that information relevant? It certainly is of great interest to the dozen men who are trying to find their common ancestor.

In fact, Debbie, I would propose that a YDNA discussion is of great interest if not only for proving a paper trail but also a genetic one.

Respectfully disagreeing with you.

5/13/2022 at 11:03 AM

Ken, I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just that I've tried to have Y-DNA discussions on Geni due to the fact that there are a number of male profiles with multiple haplogroups attached, my son's paternal line being one of them, and I've never gotten anywhere with my efforts. So I was speaking from my personal experience. Maybe you'll have better luck.

5/13/2022 at 1:02 PM

Ken

Open the DNA tab. What I see is:

DNA propagated to John Martin, of Old Rappahannock County
John Martin, of Old Rappahannock County is presumed to carry DNA based on test results from other relatives in the family tree:

R-BY27212 from 1 relative

if you scroll down, it identifies the submitter:

R-BY27212 from Y-67

And there’s a “View detail” hyperlink. Press it, and you’ll see two tabs, tree and profiles. The profile view also offer an Y DNA Ancestor” report that can be exported as PDF.

Hope this helps your study.

5/13/2022 at 1:11 PM

At https://www.familytreedna.com/public/martin/default.aspx?section=yr... this would be Group 1 (descendant of Henry Martin, d.1749,Spotsylvania Co.,VA m.Jane)

Agree with
Debbie, only the Group Admin - or the tester - could explain the test details for you.

5/13/2022 at 2:55 PM

Erica and Debbie, that information helps. I already know the identity of this tester and spoke with his family about two years ago :)

I also know that we are in Group 8, not Group 1, because we do not carry the R-M269 SNP.

Group 8 is a very large one with almost 50 testers.

I've also been creating dendrograms to try to sort through so many matches to try to narrow down my immediate surname ancestors. That suggests Shadrack Martin may be the ancestor of great interest to my YDNA line. Shadrack would be on a younger YDNA branch than R-BY27212. We have two BigY tests underway that may reveal more in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your replies.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion