Emma Darrel of Lund - Maiden Name

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Thursday, May 12, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
5/12/2022 at 8:44 PM

I think her maiden name was de Lund, per the info in her Overview. Her son Marmaduke's wife was Emma Darrell. It's possible, but unlikely they were both Emma Darrell.

5/12/2022 at 10:53 PM

It think it’s the other way around.

Emma Darrel of Lund

possibly born 5/9/1159. Source unknown.

from http://www.geneajourney.com/thweng.html#LineB
de Thweng of Kilton Castle, Yorkshire, England

Robert de Thweng [a] b abt 1142, of East Riding, Yorkshire, England, d aft 1172. He md Emma de Lund abt 1163. She was b abt 1148, of Lund, East Riding, Yorkshire, England.

Child of Robert de Thweng and Emma de Lund was:

Marmaduke de Thweng [b] b abt 1170, of East Riding, Yorkshire, England, d aft 23 Nov 1234. The identity of his wife is not known.

Sir Marmaduke de Thweng, Lord of Thwing

Marmaduke de Thweng [b] b abt 1170, of East Riding, Yorkshire, England, d aft 23 Nov 1234. The identity of his wife is not known.

Will double check.

We need more sources.

5/12/2022 at 10:57 PM

http://www.michael-milsom.org.uk/mdm/thwebrus/thwenge.htm

Thwenge of Kilton

References taken from : The Yorkshire Pedigrees (vol 96) Pages 371-378 Transcribed and edited by J.W.Walker OBE FRCB FSA Published by Harleian Society London 1944.

Robert de Thwenge, held Legsby, co. Lincolnshire of the Brus family in 1130

|

Robert de Thwenge, held half a knight's fee in Thwing in 1164; gave the Church of St. Thomas in Legsby to the Gilbertian priory of Sixhills, co Linc.; d c 1190

Married Emma

|

Sir Marmaduke de Thwenge, b 1164; in prison for homicide in 1205 gave 3 marks to recover seisin of lands in the manor of Lund, of which Hy de Pudsey had possessed himself on the occasion of de Thwenge's imprisonment : took the side barons against King John; in 1217 made his peace the king; in 1226 a Justice Itinerant in Yorkshire; 1230 a Coroner for Yorkshire : Osbert Wirfank released to him his right in the advowson of the Church of Hinderwell in 1234; d 1235

Married to Emma, daughter and heir of Duncan Darell, Lord of Lund, E.R Yorks

5/12/2022 at 11:28 PM

Cross reference another discussion:

dale scott
11/23/2020 at 6:44 PM
His wife and mother are the same person, Emma Darrell, daughter or sister of Duncan Darrell. I can find as many sources supporting one view as the other.

His Overview states, "The identity of his wife is not known. " and "The identity of his wife has evidently never been found in surviving records, nor is the date of his death known, but he was still living on 23 November 1234."

This states Marmaduke married sister of Duncan Darrell.
https://archive.org/stream/thwinggenealogic00thwi/thwinggenealogic0...
Thwing : a genealogical, biographical and historical account of the family"
8 THE TWENGE FAMILY IN ENGLAND.
[Sir Robert de Twenge, ..]
II. (1240), and with Earl Richard arrived in Palestine, October,
1240. He was succeeded by his son Makmaduke, who espoused
Emma, sister and heiress of Duncan Darrell, and was succeeded
by his son
ROBERT, Lord of Kilton Castle, who married Maud, the
widow of Sir John de Oketon. Children :

A genealogical and heraldic History of the Commoners of Great ..., Volume 2 according to a web site states, " Sir Robert De Thwenge, deputed by the other barons to repair to Rome ... His son and heir, Marmaduke Thwenge, espoused Emma, sister and heiress of Duncan Darrell"
The dormant and extinct baronage of England: or, An historical and ... according to same web site states, "Of this family, anciently lords of Kilton Castle, in Cleveland, the first person noticed is Sir Robert De Thweng, knight, who was succeeded by Marmaduke, his son, who married one of the sisters and coheirs of Duncan Darrell, and had issue"

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Thweng-25 cites, " I believe that Emma is Marmaduke's mother, not his wife, per CP:
"This confirms with the pedigree put forward in a case of 1309 relating to Lund, when it was stated that from Emma, one of the 3 sisters of Duncan Darel, her interest in Lund descended to her son Marmaduke, the ancestor of the then Marmaduke de Thweng. [Ref: CP XII/1 p735(f)] "

Robert FitzRobert de Thweng, Lord of Thwing is the profile for the father of Marmaduke. It claims that he was the husband of Emma, not his son.

Who do you think is the husband of Emma?

5/12/2022 at 11:56 PM

Well, at least I know I'm not alone in questioning both father and son having married women by the same name.

I guess this is my take-away from the above information:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Thweng-25 cites, " I believe that Emma is Marmaduke's mother, not his wife, per CP:
"This confirms with the pedigree put forward in a case of 1309 relating to Lund, when it was stated that from Emma, one of the 3 sisters of Duncan Darel, her interest in Lund descended to her son Marmaduke, the ancestor of the then Marmaduke de Thweng. [Ref: CP XII/1 p735(f)] "

Robert FitzRobert de Thweng, Lord of Thwing is the profile for the father of Marmaduke. It claims that he was the husband of Emma, not his son."

Which indicates to me that Emma was Marmaduke's mother and that his wife is unknown. Would that be correct?

5/13/2022 at 1:19 AM

But other sources have it differently. I added more notes, but i am not prepared to make this decision. We are not qualified.

5/13/2022 at 1:23 AM

NB. TCP has Emma as Duncan Durrell’s sister, not daughter. Burke’s, less reliable, has Duncan Durrell’s daughter as Marmaduke’s wife. Yorkshire pedigrees, I don’t know how reliable, has the same.

5/13/2022 at 11:00 AM

Yeah, it's totally confusing. I wouldn't be able to make a definitive call on it either.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion