Начал Private User вчера
Возникла проблема на этой странице?

Участники:

• Private User
    Geni member

Упомянутые профили:

Private User
вчера в 6:44 до полудня

Sandor was my grandfather Edward’s younger brother and I must believe his closest and most beloved sibling. Edward had walked across Europe as a young journeyman printer. I believe he set out soon after his father Jakob died when he was roughly16 (according to Schoenbrun family tree) and Sandor was 6 or 7. Edward ended up in New York in the 1890s and married and had three children - Estelle, Margaret, and the youngest my father Charles born 1907. By 1931 or 32 Edward and Charles had already made a cross-country trip together (my grandmother Sarah Klein Wurmfeld had died in 1926 or 27 and they decided to travel back to Budapest - Edward’s first and only return to his native land. They took a transatlantic steamer and got a car to drive across Europe to Hungary. They were greeted by the entire Wurmfeld family that had remained - we always had believed that Edward was the only sibling to come to the United States. My father Charles recounted that when they left, Sandor accompanied Edward and Charles in the car to Monaco. It must have been quite a trip. From there Edward and Charles returned eventually to a ship which brought them home and Sandor returned to Budapest. My father always remembered this trip with great passion and was determined to name me after his beloved uncle Sandor, but my mother prevailed and I end up named Sanford. I don’t think either Edward or Charles new of Sandor’s fate once the war started and so his death recorded as February 1945 was just before the end of the war when Jews in Budapest had their toughest time. I’m sure if Sandor had survived he would have contacted Edward - who died in 1948.

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении