Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 27 posts
Private User
1/2/2010 at 7:34 AM

I am considering paying for a subscription to Stirnet.com which appears to contain a lot of relevant genealogy information with documented sources.

Has anyone subscibed in the past? If so, how useful / how reliable is the information?

Private User
1/2/2010 at 10:24 AM

i couldn't find stirnet.com. i did find stir.net

Private User
1/2/2010 at 5:47 PM
1/3/2010 at 9:50 AM

Stirnet are extremely good IF you know your family are included. They are though not useful like GENI for finding links to 'ordinary folk'

Private User
1/3/2010 at 1:34 PM

no never heard of this site , Sorry can't help. Regards Phil

Private User
1/5/2010 at 12:30 PM

I have heard of them..I may just join for a short time and see if it is helpful. I do know others who are using it and like it.

1/5/2010 at 12:46 PM

Regarding Stirnet
I've known this site for about 4 years now, and although in general this is a very good site, especially with order of chronological generations; it does however has many mistakes, almost in each and every family page, so if you do go to this site, please don’t rely on it too much.
All the Best
Ofir

Private User
1/5/2010 at 1:02 PM

Thanks Terry and Terri. It is the "outer reaches" of some of the noble families that I was hoping to get some help with. I had an e-mail from another member who had found the site very useful but that it does contain some errors. I guess I too will end up paying for a short subscription to try it out.

Perhaps we could use this discussion to comment on its usefulness etc. in order to help others.

Private User
1/5/2010 at 1:12 PM

And thanks Ofir, too (our posts crossed).

Private User
1/5/2010 at 1:16 PM

Hi Arthur,

I too am interested in the noble- royal blood lines as I have a great deal of Great Grandparents that are from those lines...more then I can count.
Today I found a older book about British Roots of Maryland Families. In that book it has a lot of information on Royal blood lines. I printed out every page that list anything on these lines. Not all are part of my line, but most are. I am going to post all of the info I can over the next few weeks. If it helps anyone then great!

If you get a stirnet membership could yo please let the rest of us know what you think.

Have a great week...
Terri

Private User
1/5/2010 at 6:15 PM

Hi Terri,
I too have quite a few grandparents from the British, Scotch, and Irish royalty. What book is it you were referring to. Is it a paper or on-line book? I think there are quite a few of us who are descendants of the British royals. Hope to hear from you again,

Lillian

Private User
1/6/2010 at 12:49 PM

I think I will try out Stirnet, and I will certainly post my thoughts here. You'll need to give me a few weeks I'm afraid because my genealogy has to fit in with my work (in theory!)

For anyone looking for a fairly reliable but cheap reference book, you could buy "Britain's Royal Families, The Complete Genealogy" by Alison Weir . You will find it in paperback (or hardback) at Amazon etc.

Private User
1/6/2010 at 3:12 PM

Arthur,

Thank you for the book info... I will look for it.

1/6/2010 at 4:18 PM

Lillian, just a friendly warning, in case you find yourself communicating with Scottish relations et al. They generally dislike being referred to as Scotch as that is a drink!

Private User
1/6/2010 at 6:24 PM

Terry, thanks for the tip. I hope to someday communicate with some Scottish relatives
Lillian

Private User
1/7/2010 at 1:48 AM

Having read the Stirnet terms and conditions, I was a concerned about "re-publishishing" information from Stirnet onto Geni. I sent an e-mail to Stirnet and got the following response (very quickly):

Hello Arthur,

Thank you for your interest in Stirnet and for your courtesy in asking the question. I have no problem with people taking data from Stirnet as long as (as you appreciate) credit is given should the amount taken be more than trivial. That is certainly acceptable. There are many subsites within ancestry.com and such, as well as independent sites, which do that already. Indeed, one of the main purposes of the database is that people can use Stirnet to source (some of) their data rather than have to dig around themselves. None of my data is 'original' (it would surely be questionable if it was!), it is just the database as a compilation that is copyrighted. I am pleased to say that it appears that Stirnet is steadily obtaining a reputation for reliability but I must stress that no source is 100% reliable and that, in some of the pages in the database, I have yet to find a 'good source' myself on the relevant families (something which is usually made clear on the page). However, I am steadily broadening the range of sources that I use. My main problem is that it is such a huge project that I cannot do it all at once. It will keep me busy for years, which I view as no bad thing.

Yours truly,
Peter Barns-Graham

So, I will buy a subscription, credit Stirnet as a source in the "About" section of any profiles where I use the information and let you know through this discussion how I get on.

Private User
1/8/2010 at 7:29 AM

Hi Arthur,

I came across a book on line that may be of interest to you. "The Manuscripts of the Marquis of Ormonde, Preserved at the Castle, Kilkenny"
It is a great read and has a ton of names, dates (births, deaths) and information in it. And it is just a great read for those who want to know more about Castle life.

And if any one knows about this family....I really could use some help as I don't want to mess up my- and the larger tree. Please see my post in discussions.

Thanks

2/10/2010 at 10:28 AM

@Arthur, I wonder if I could ask you to look up a name in Stirnet. I did have a subscription once but this is for a question on the Historic tree I'm trying to solve and not my own tree, so not really worth paying a sub for...
Could you see what they say about Elizabeth Stawell b circa 1332?
She seems to have been married to a Beaumont and had daughter Katherine (Catherine) who married Hugh Luttrell (among others?) Thanks very much
Terry

Private User
2/10/2010 at 2:49 PM

Hi Terry,
Not much luck with Stirnet on this, I'm afraid. There are 2 pages of Stawells, but I couldn't find Elizabeth.

Starting at the other end with Hugh Luttrell, Stirnet states:
Sir Hugh Luttrell of Chilton, East Quantoxhead and Dunster Castle (d 24.03.1428, Seneschal of Nomandy)
m. Catherine Beaumont (d 28.08.1435, dau of Sir John Beaumont of Sherwell)

There is no link to Sir John Beaumont so I looked through the 5 pages of Beaumonts and could not find John Beaumont married to Elizabeth. There is an additional page called "temp42" which refers to the Beaumonts of Sherwell (Shirwell). The only John who may be relevant is referred to here:
Sir John Beaumont of Yolstone in Shirwell, Devon
1. Sir William Beaumont of Shirwell, Sheriff of Devon (b 1366, d 1422)
m. Isabel Willington (b c1379, dau of Sir John Willington of Umberleigh). The source for this information is reported to be (4) For Beaumont of Shirwell (Sherwell) : www.yeosociety.com/yeoroots/beaumontfamily.htm (with thanks to a site visitor (DS, 09.01.08) for bringing this site to our attention).
Sorry not much help I guess.
Arthur

2/10/2010 at 3:52 PM

Thanks Arthur,
with sleuthing every clue is important!

2/19/2010 at 12:55 PM

Arthur, I am interested in hearing about your experience with Stirnet. Is it all the research of one person (Peter Barns-Graham) or is it a cooperative of some kind? And why is he (or they) charging to share this information? I find it troubling that someone would use their database as a business model. To me, all of this history should be public information.

However, in doing searches, I've come across Stirnet many times--it allows you 5 seconds to see the page and then it disappears unless you are a member. In those 5 seconds, it looked like there was some good information--and in some cases, on people for whom I couldn't find any information otherwise. (These are all cases in which I was working on "big tree" medieval figures and trying to find documentation).

So let me know how it works for you.

Pam

2/19/2010 at 12:55 PM

Arthur, I am interested in hearing about your experience with Stirnet. Is it all the research of one person (Peter Barns-Graham) or is it a cooperative of some kind? And why is he (or they) charging to share this information? I find it troubling that someone would use their database as a business model. To me, all of this history should be public information.

However, in doing searches, I've come across Stirnet many times--it allows you 5 seconds to see the page and then it disappears unless you are a member. In those 5 seconds, it looked like there was some good information--and in some cases, on people for whom I couldn't find any information otherwise. (These are all cases in which I was working on "big tree" medieval figures and trying to find documentation).

So let me know how it works for you.

Pam

Private User
2/19/2010 at 1:51 PM

Hi Pam,

Yes, I did promise to report back about Stirnet. I'd like to use it quite a lot more before reaching any firm conclusion. I like the fact that it refers to sources and sometimes reports cases where information differs. As Peter Barnes-Graham said in his e-mail to me (page 1 of this discussion) the information has been compliled from websites. Ofir has more experience of the site than me, and he has warned me about errors.

So, all the information in Stirnet started out as public information. Peter Barnes-Graham has collected it together and charges a membership fee for access to the collection. Stirnet is a Limited Company in the UK, and, as such is a money-making venture. I can certainly understand your concern about this but I decided to give it a try for a year as I was finding discrepancies between Wikipedia and The Peerage, and I sometimes struggle with MedLands. Like you, I found that Google searches often come up with a page within Stirnet, and I was keen to have access to that information, at least for a year or so.

I'll keep you posted!

Arthur

Private User
2/19/2010 at 2:01 PM

So we can expect that Stirnet will collect information from our work at Geni and try to make money on it?

Private User
2/19/2010 at 2:08 PM

Quite possibly, Bjørn, but, to Give Peter Barnes-Graham credit, most of his sources are a little more "original". They are listed here: http://www.stirnet.com/main/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=79

Private User
2/19/2010 at 2:12 PM

Oohps, that link doesn't work. This should work: http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/gensourc.htm#top or just go to "Sources and acknowledgements"

Private User
2/20/2010 at 1:54 AM

Surely history books are effectively the same - freely available information collected together and published for profit (and public information).

By the way, one of the sources that I found on Stirnet "The Conqueror and his Companions" by James Robinson Planche is quite fun to read and very informative: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zrWyzAqc5iEC&lpg=PR2&ots...

Showing all 27 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion