Photos and media scanning?

Started by Chad Bouldin on Friday, July 2, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 11 posts
7/2/2010 at 4:32 PM

Who does your scanning and how do you get the family photos from others when they either don't have the time to scan them or do not want to let go of the originals?

7/2/2010 at 5:36 PM

I just have a box of family photos that I have been scanning myself. Yes, getting family members to give up photos can be difficult, but some can't be bothered with even keeping photos around, and that's when I offer to take care of them. Now the main problem is finding names to go with photos.
I have a spare scanner I would be glad to give to any family member. It's a Canon and a very good one.

7/2/2010 at 5:50 PM

I have old photos of family members I don't know names too myself and I am aware of other family members who have other photos but don't want to give up the originals. I offer to scan them and give back the originals but they still hesitate. It would be nice to focus on one ancestor, and explain the scanning and sharing process to the family members. Any idea of how to achieve this?

7/2/2010 at 6:13 PM

No real simple idea how to crack this problem, which I think comes from inertia. Relatives often seem to get into the mode of thinking they'll get around to scanning and identifying family photos, and that's why they prefer to keep ahold of the material, ignoring the fact that when they will not be around any more, their children may not be able to figure out the photo subjects even IF they are inclined to catalog them.
One way to cut this gordian knot may be to actually pay them visits with a portable scanner and a voice recorder. That involves investment in time and trouble, but can be very satisfying.

At the very least, try encouraging family members to get out a pencil and actually WRITE names and facts on the backs of photos they have.

I know it sounds ghoulish, but try to establish the reputation of being the one person to send boxes of family pictures to when folks are going through the effects of their passed relatives. There is a stage of grief when people can and want to share memories of their loved ones. You can get a lot of satisfaction from being the custodian of family info.

7/3/2010 at 5:57 AM

The idea of the portable scanner and the voice recorder is an excellent suggestion. You may find that some relatives will find the voice recorder a little intimidating, for no apparent reason, other than it makes them nervous. Taking notes and getting others to write on the back of the photos is a good alternative if you can nudge them to do that. I think this is a very common problem among families, mine included.

7/3/2010 at 9:26 AM

We just scanned a bunch of old photos for a family event. Most were simple 'brownie' snapshots. Despite the fact that these photos have not seen the light of day for forty years, many of the shots (BW and colour) were very faded or colour shifted. Clearly the dyes and emulsions are not stable over time. Getting them scanned has 'locked' them in, at least at this state of deterioration. At the same time we were able to use simple editing software to bring back many very faded images. Telling reluctant relatives that you can do this for them may be a way to encourage them to release photos to your care. If they don't have to put them in the mail but can get them to you in an alternative way may make them feel more secure about giving up their precious photos.

Failing that, try sending them out to their local large drug store emporium. Most of these now have a 'scanning' station at which they can scan to a CD purchased at the store. There is a cost premium for doing this but it could make people more comfortable than letting the originals out of their hands.

7/3/2010 at 10:13 AM

I seem to be the only family historian within a 2nd cousin reach. The idea of visiting relatives I barely know and asking them to allow me to scan their photos to preserve the memories makes sense but scares me. My time to research and record information is usually late at night and most live a distance from me to stop by for a weekend visit. I've enjoyed the Geni in One Minute video and may perhaps use this in some way to encourage family to want to get photos scanned and shared.

7/3/2010 at 12:24 PM

Chad, you have gone to the heart of the problem. Sites like Geni have excited us with the possibility of being able to get everyone involved in family tree research, thus making the research a collective endeavor. The sad reality is that it is the small minority of us who are activists in any capacity, and although for us armchair research is a little more possible with the internet, there is ultimately no substitute for the "gumshoe" approach. Most people, our own family included, tend to be consumers and not producers of this info. How many family members you have invited have actually taken up the invitation and have contributed much more to the tree? This is not a character defect, it's just the pressure of daily life.

7/5/2010 at 8:45 AM

Barbara,
You did a really good thing. Regret is much worse than embarrassment.

7/5/2010 at 9:00 AM

Agreed! I wish I had done that with my 94 year old grandmother. She always yelled at us for even taking her picture. She got wise with the cell phone camera as well and started yelling at us then too. Regret is much worse for sure. Thank you Barbara for such a great story and reason to push through.

7/8/2010 at 8:38 PM

I just have people mail them to me. I scan them and return them right away. People who don't want to even mail them I have them go to Walmart and copy them then send them to me. It's a battle but time is passing. Marc

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion