|Nicknames:||"The Heliotrope Belle", "Martha Hichbourne-Blaine", "Mrs. P.S. Pearsall", "formerly Blaine"|
|Birthplace:||Philadelphia, Philadephia , Pennsylvania, United States|
|Death:||Died in Washington, Washington , D.C., United States|
|Managed by:||Erica Isabel Howton, (c)|
Historical records matching Martha Pearsall
About Martha Pearsall (Hichborn)
Martha, born at Philadelphia, November 17, 1876. Adopted her nephew, Philip S. Hichborn, Jr.
"Martha Hichborn, Philip Hichborn’s sister, also had a sad life. It was in her home that Philip took his life. Martha married, against her will, the divorced Republican senator James G. Blaine of Maine. That marriage soured and she later remarried a man named Pearsall. When she died in 1933, she left her entire, and considerable, estate to her chauffeur. (8)"
- (8) “Milestones,” Time Magazine, 1 May 1933.
- # New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of Commonwealths and the Founding of a Nation, Volume 2 (Google eBook) William Richard Cutter. Lewis historical publishing Company, 1913 - New England. Page 772
- PHILIP S. HICHBORN, DESERTED, A SUICIDE; Rear Admiral's Son, Whose Wife Eloped, Shoots Himself in His Sister's Home. Special to The New York Times. (); March 28, 1912. WASHINGTON, March 27. -- The climax to the two elopements of Mrs. Philip S. Hichborn with Horace S. Wylie came about 5 o'clock this evening, when Philip S. Hichborn went to the home of his sister, Mrs. P.S. Pearsall, the former wife of James G. Blaine, Jr., and shot himself through the head.
- Find A Grave Memorial# 91748856
- 1920 census: "seems to be at 1102 16th St. A widow with two servants and a roomer, no occupation."
- Daughters of American Revolution
- Member: Martha Hichborn Pearsall
- Nat'l #: 10000
- Chapter: 2046DC
- Ancestor: HICHBORN, ROBERT (A054786)
Martha Pearsall's Timeline
November 17, 1876
Philadelphia, Philadephia , Pennsylvania, United States
June 4, 1901
February 25, 1906
January 25, 1907
Philadelphia, Philadelphia , Pennsylvania, United States
April 20, 1933
Washington, Washington , D.C., United States
Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States