Chief? I think not...

Started by Brenda Leigh Hunter on Saturday, November 19, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
11/19/2011 at 5:39 PM

Quadequina was not a chief as there were no chiefs among the Wampanoags. His brother Ousamequin (known in the history books by his title Massasoit) was known to consult with his brother Quadequina and it has even been suggested that at times they co-ruled, but Ousamequin was from Wolf clan (a leader clan) and Quadequina was not.

It is easy to ascribe traits to someone based on time periods, but they are not always culturally accurate - such as middle and last names.

I do not wish to have my name listed as the source of misinformation so please do not edit these errors back into my listing.

Thank you

7/2/2015 at 8:27 PM

Massasoit Sachem Ousamequin was technically the chief of the Wampanoag.

Massasoit means Great Leader or Great Chief when translated into English.

Sachem means leader.

Ousamequin, who had nearly 20 different names, was not just the leader or chief of his particular subtribal group, but also of an entire nation of American Indians - The Wampanoag Confederacy. He was incharge of much of what is referred to today as the Iroquois Nation, which name is a misnomer since there actually wasn't any such group as the Iroquois.

His brother Quadequin was the head of a separate tribe, where he was also Sachem, but not Massasoit of the Confederacy.

Quadequin is actually not recognized as one of Ousamequin's brothers by any verifiable historical documents. Most of those documents are the source of Massasoit's many names, as the different individual misunderstood what his name was or how to consistantly spell it. In the records, he is listed as having only 5 other siblings:

Metacomet (brother), Sunconewhew (brother), Wamsutta (brother), Aime (sister) and one sister that the English forgot to record the name of as she disappears from the records after this.

Not much is recorded about Quadequin other than that he 'might' be a half-brother to Ousamequin and was present to introduce Popcorn to the pilgrams. Ousamequin himself spent much of his time with the leaders of the Mayflower colonies, having helped prevent their starvation when they first arrived.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion