Robert John Robinson, SV/PROG - Correct Parentage?

Started by Private User on Friday, May 31, 2013
Showing all 14 posts
Private User
5/31/2013 at 2:02 PM

http://genforum.genealogy.com/robinson/messages/16530.html

"His father was Charles Robinson (b. 1774, England, who married Mary Eaton (b. 1773, England; d. 29 Jan 1805, England) on 8 Apr 1792 in Windlesham Church, Surrey, England.
His grandfather (father's side) was Stephen Robinson, born about 1750 in Thornton, Yorkshire, England, married to Ann Grentree (b. about 1755, Preston, Yorkshire, England/Preston, England). Robert was one of eight children, the details of which I have. "

Could we clarify the correct parentage of Robert John Robinson?

I also have his birth/baptism date as 1 July 1792, and not the later date of 1794.
Perhaps we can obtain sources to clarify?

Private User
5/31/2013 at 3:37 PM

Michelle - if you can add the sources that support the information then you need to add them to the profile and correct the profiles.

Private User
6/8/2013 at 10:48 AM

Hi June,

I wish I had sources, but it seems that we dont have source for either set of facts for this fellow. Perhaps some Pros can find sources for us to verify which set of facts are the correct ones?

Private User
6/8/2013 at 3:19 PM

So where did the information come from? Must be somewhere - which would be the source! Even if it is just another tree somewhere! Whether the source is primary etc. can then be evaluated and followed up?

Maybe we need to establish what we know and how?

MD Nash says he was 27 in 1820.
1820settlers.com have his birthdate as 24 Oct 1794 with sources

[S1618] The Robinson Family Vol 5.GEDcom, Rowland Keith Robinson, William R Robinson.
and
[S258] International Genealogical Index, An Index of Baptisms and Marriages and crossed referenced with Windlesham Transcripts, (Produced By The Mormans).

and parents Phillip Robinson and Charlotte Erith daughter of William Erith and Amey Bushel. They were the grandparents of James Thomas Erith leader of the party. Those are starting points that could be researched - probably starting with Familysearch?

Private User
6/9/2013 at 2:53 AM

Welll ,one of the sources is the link on the top of the discussion and comes from Phil Robinsons research ....
The mormon information I wouldnt always take as fact, as I have seen many errors in doing my own family research.
Rowlands family tree is also just his version.
We need facts. I am hoping somewhere along the lines, we could find the facts in the national archives in the UK or a definate BMD.

Private User
6/10/2013 at 7:54 AM

Scratching around -

FamilySearch have no baptism registered for Robert John Robinson from 1790 or 1795.

There is for plain Robert Robinson

"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"
Name: Robert Robinson
Christening Date: 01 Jul 1792
Christening Place: WINDLESHAM,SURREY,ENGLAND
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Charles Robinson
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Mary
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01734-3
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 991770
Reference ID:

CO1734-3 is the source code for a transcription of WINDLESHAM, SURREY, ENGLAND - so I would say it was a reasonable source - unlike the member submissions.

A number of other children were baptised in this parish by the same couple.

Gravestone and Ancestry.co.ok - Member Name lyndaboulos_1
Sacred to memory
of Robert Robinson
who departed this life
on 16th April 1866
aged 73 years 5 months and 24 days.

Suggesting 1792.

also from the same tree

<One could say the story of Randfontein starts on 8th April, 1792 in Windlesham , England when Charles Robinson and Mary Eaton tied the knot in what was undoubtedly a hurriedly arranged wedding, as the bride was already five months pregnant. On 1st July that year their first son, Robert John, was born. He was one of nine children. In 1813, at the age of 21, Robert John married 19 year-old Martha Strutt in St Margaret’s church, Rochester . During the next seven years she bore him five children.

In 1820 the couple decided to emigrate to South Africa with their five children. They sailed from Gravesend on the Brilliant and arrived in Algoa Bay on 15th May 1820. Initially they were allocated land in the Bathurst district but later moved to erf number 58 Paulet Street, Somerset East where Robinson’s occupation was listed as butcher. He later settled in Albany , near Grahamstown, and after some years of unsuccessful farming, moved to Cradock, where he became a builder in 1837.

The couple had ten more children, the 14th of which was Joseph Benjamin, born in 1840 in Cradock.>

I don't see anything to support the 1794 date other than 1820settlers.com

England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940
Name: Robert Robinson
Spouse's Name: Martha Strutt
Marriage Date: 6 Nov 1813
Marriage Place: Rochester, Kent, England

Rochester is quite far from Windlesham. But Gillingham only 3 miles away from Rochester

"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"
Name: Louisa Rose Robinson
Christening Date: 10 Apr 1814
Christening Place: GILLINGHAM, KENT, ENGLAND
Father's Name: Robert Robinson
Mother's Name: Martha
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C14760-2
System Origin: England-EASy
GS Film number: 1042491
Reference ID: item 1 p 20

There are no national Archives for England - the registers are in County Record offices, and Births, Marriages and Deaths were only recorded from 1837. See http://www.geni.com/projects/British-and-Irish-Genealogical-Referen.... Census records start 1841.

Private User
6/11/2013 at 12:05 PM

great....thanks June! Does this mean we need to reconnect to his correct parentage? I think he was disconnected at some point from the correct parents.

Private User
6/12/2013 at 9:45 PM

Sorry Michelle - didn't respond quickly! I think so - can you do this - if not let me know.

Private User
6/14/2013 at 11:22 AM

HI June,

I managed to connect the correct parents but am having troubling disconnecting the incorrect parents... please help.. :)

Private User
6/14/2013 at 3:34 PM

done!

1/28/2014 at 6:27 AM

Charles is apparently incorrect I have just received n email to the contrary, suggesting that Philip Robinson and Charlotte Erin are his parents Research was done in England Any comments and can resources be quoted please Robinson is and was a very common name in England and the Isles, often confused with Robertson as well apparently. I have found so many mistakes in many of the 1820 settlr ancestral information, some still not solved.

Private User
3/2/2014 at 8:45 AM

Hi Isebelle, please see the sources already posted above...we are happy to get any new information, even if it is to the contrary. If you have sources, please post them here. Many thanks.

Private User
3/2/2014 at 9:02 AM
Private User
3/2/2014 at 9:07 AM

Hilton Hamman -"A town like no other" Randfontein - more than 75 years of history.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion