Participants:

• Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • John Smith
    Geni member
Showing all 9 posts
10/2/2013 at 2:55 AM

I have requested this. The answer I got was Geni has no plans to change this default.

10/2/2013 at 2:58 AM

BTW The private / public setting will depend on "where" in the tree you are adding from profile view - it detects if "nearby" claimed family. So if I am adding a 3rd cousin's grandfather, it will default to private, but not so for his father. Of course I can't keep these rules memorized ...

Private User
10/2/2013 at 9:15 PM

Private User - when adding in Tree View the default setting is NOT always deceased and public - in Tree View they make a somewhat sensible decision based on the Profile you are connecting to as to whether Profile should be deceased or living - possibly as simple-minded as - adding to living is living, adding to deceased is deceased (not sure about that). [And since all living are now Private ...]

Erica - did you accidentally mis-speak - or does adding in Profile View [or did you mean adding in Tree View?? - in any case, one of them] actually make 3rd cousin's father Public, but 3rd cousin's grandfather Private?

10/3/2013 at 12:21 AM

I am usually on iPad and ONLY use profile view. After I've averted making a zombie by setting as deceased I need to re edit & check the privacy detection permissions Geni has assigned. I am usually working outside my own family group on a "notable" tree when this happens so Geni is detecting the nearby claimed relationship for me - out to 4th great grandparent - even if the 3rd great grandparent is public / deceased & set so by another manager.

10/3/2013 at 12:30 AM

Far more crucial than the privacy setting is the "default to living." This is how new zombies are created every day, even by very experienced members such as myself & rvk. And then takes volunteer time to correct or teaching members to use "lists" to check their own entry. Privacy for deceased persons is easily tweaked within the family group. But laying a zombie to rest? Not so much.

Also I build bridge profiles - this is Geni's mission, after all. So if I have a source for one side of the tree, and want to connect with another side, without tree view my only option is to duplicate & merge. And if I make this "living" error I've now defeated my own purpose ....

John Smith
10/5/2013 at 4:14 PM

Recently I have been uploading a list of about 300 close cousins from financial documents left by my paternal GGF (1st). For me, Geni has automatically been selecting Deceased for people in a generation wherein they obviously would be, and Living for those who might still be around.
So far it has seemed to be fairly accurate. Note that I have not been adding birth or death dates for these relatives. Just sharing my experience.

10/5/2013 at 4:22 PM

That's great to hear W. And keep those profiles coming.

Private User
10/6/2013 at 5:35 PM

W - Am I right that you have been adding in Tree View?

John Smith
10/7/2013 at 7:40 AM

Yes Lois, adding to the tree in Tree View. -W

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion