profiles to add to the "About" Cleanup project

Started by John Albert Rigali, preparing for hiatus on Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts

I've spotted several profiles that I think should be added to the "About" Cleanup project, but I'm not a project collaborator, and I wouldn't be prepared to clean up the "About" sections of those profiles if I was a collaborator. Is there a way for me to get those profiles added to the project?

10/2/2013 at 7:17 PM

John Albert Rigali, preparing for hiatus Just request to join the project then you can at least add them.

I thought that I might offend other project members if I joined the project just to add to its workload without doing anything to reduce it.

10/5/2013 at 8:54 PM

Adding to the project does help.

OK, you talked me into it.

Someone (Erica?) already joined me to the project. Thanks!

There are two profiles that I'm unable to add to the project:

Sir Oswald Birley

Hon. Philip L. Sherman

When I try to add them to the project from the project page, Geni can't find the profiles. When I try to add them to the project from their respective profiles, I get the option "Invite to Project" instead of "Add to Project" (as if they're still alive). Why is that?

10/6/2013 at 12:16 AM

1) put a "follow" on the profiles so the Geni database will remember you "like" them

2) you probably do not have manager rights to the profiles so cannot add them. That wording on the message was funky - what's really happening is a request has gone out to the profile managers asking them to approve the add to project. It will go to their "requests in box" and is very easy - I get them & hit yes, and it's a great double check (a profile manager caught me trying to add a non peer to the peers project, ouch!)

3) if there's no response any curator can add any profile to any project they follow or collaborate on. This is why I have something like 500 projects in my project "apron.". :)

Erica Howton, thanks for the advice. Following Sir Oswald Birley helped Geni to find him when I tried to add him to the project. Because I'm not a manager of his profile, a request was submitted to his profiles' managers.

Strangely, I'd already been following Hon. Philip L. Sherman, yet Geni couldn't find him when I tried to add him to the project before. I just tried again, and Geni found him this this time, and it worked the same way as it did with Sir Oswald Birley - I'm not a manager of his profile, so a request went to his profile's managers.

10/6/2013 at 12:10 PM

The trick is to visit a profile to get it into Geni's "short term memory" of your most recent profile visits, and sometimes the database slows down. This seems to apply to all "people tagging" activities (add to project, tag to image, merge via the actions menu, etc)

I had visited each profile just prior to attempting to add it to the project. That tricks works for me more often than not, but it's isn't 100% reliable.

10/6/2013 at 4:12 PM

Yes, I have that experience too. I believe there might be a queue & it gets backed up - it's not profile related, as it will work fine at another time.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion