Johann Nicholas (Nicholas) Bowman - Where Nicholas Bowman came from (first of many Bowmans in TN)

Started by Private User on Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Private User
11/19/2013 at 6:32 AM

We found that a Nicholas bowman got land in sevier co tn.

What I found on the Internet was a survey for his land in 1807. dated 6-23-1807 for 68 acres 2 rods and 2 chains on flat creek in sevier co tn. Survey no 430 . There was another listing for a nicholas bowerman in the same list. This was a survey for 66 acres. same location. These were listed in a thing called territory south of the french broad river.

I found a second listing for these surveys and then a listing for two land grant in the name of nicholas bowman. I sent off to the Nashville achieve for a copies of these original land grants.

These are a brief of what was written on these grants:

Grant number 1473
State of tennesse to Nicholas bowman
68 acres for cost of $68.52 1/2 plus interest. that is 68 dollars and 52 and 1/2 cents.
land in sevier county tennesse district south of french broad and holston. (yes that is the way it was written) on waters of flat creek.
Survey 6-2-1807 (this differs from above)
Granted 6-14-1810 at knoxville by willie Blourt governer of state of tn.
Describes land in meters and bounds. Only useful refers is that the beginning point is on the corner of John Patterson's land.

Grant number 1505
State of tennesse to nicholas bowman
66 acres and 3 road for $66.75 and interest
land in sevier county Tennessee district south of french broad and holston on waters of flat creek
granted 6-15-1810 at Knoxville by willie blourt governor of state of Tennessee.
No useful information in the means and bounds description. (unless you want to know what kind of trees grew there)

Note on this second one that it did not list a survey date. That it is 66 acres and 3 road. On the survey it was translated as rods.

On the survey for 68 acres it said 68 acres 2 rods and 2 chains and on the grant it said simply 68 acres.

I have never heard land described as 25 acres and 3 rods and 2 chains--acres are a squared measurement and rods and chains are a straight line measurement. I am going to call by local surveyor and see if he know what the rods and chains at the end of the acres description means. On grant number 1505 it looks like 3 road or at the very least 3 rood. It does not look like rods at all.

Marilyn Hering of Southern Illinois

On 10 Dec 1791 when Johann Nicolaus was 22, he married Catherine DERRICK, daughter of John DERRICK & Mary DUNKLEBURGER.

They had the following children:

10 i. Wilhelm (1792-1828)
11 ii. George (1794-) -----my grandfather to the 5th power
12 iii. Daniel B. (1800-1849)
13 iv. Simeon Henry (1802-1866)
14 v. Samuel (1798-)

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion