John King Of Weymouth's mother

Started by Private User on Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Showing all 6 posts
Private User
2/18/2014 at 2:18 PM

The mother of John King of Weymouth (1600-c.1669) should not be listed as Catherine Drury (1567-1617) unless more proof is available. According to The Peerage, her son John never emigrated from Ireland. There are other discrepancies with regards to Catherine Drury - it is questionable whether Elizabeth Carew is the mother of Catherine Drury. But moreso, it's highly questionable whether John King of Weymouth is Catherine Drury's son. There is a significant amount of discussion around the internet as far as the children of Catherine Drury. This hurts- I wish Drury was my 10x great-grandmother and Elizabeth Carew her mother. But fact is, it's doubtful John King of Weymouth is John King, son of Catherine Drury.

Private User
2/25/2014 at 11:47 AM

Thanks for the help. I have decided, after much research, that the parents of John King of Weymouth are not Sir John King and Catherine Drury King. I have developed their trees considerably and need to remove them as John King of Weymouth's parents, but don't want to eliminate or delete Sir John King and Catherine Drury King's profiles. I have done it before with another person and received angry comments for years. I would like to break this relationship appropriately so as not to mess up other profiles and connections. PLEASE ADVISE!

2/25/2014 at 6:40 PM

Goodman John King, of Weymouth

As I said in the other thread on this topic, I have detached the parents. I agree with you and the sources that seem best researched have John King and Mary -----, his wife, likely coming from Dorchester, Dorset and he comes as the servant of the Deputy Governor. I believe that the parents of both of them are unknown.

I believe I am also a King descendent!

2/25/2014 at 6:45 PM

Yes, as I thought, John King of Weymouth is my 8th great grandfather.

http://www.geni.com/path/Hatte+Anne+Blejer+is+related+to+John+King+...

I have had to detach noble parents from a number of my nth great grandparents of the Great Migration generation (Capt. John Johnson and one of the Leonards). I assume because of vanity genealogies of the 19th and early 20th century. Everyone wanted to prove that their early American ancestor was the offspring of a noble family in England.

I will also check NEGHS to make absolutely sure about this.

Private User
2/27/2014 at 8:17 PM

Engine reads that John King of Weymouth is my 9x great-grandfather. Deborah King Avery 1750-1830, his gg-granddaughter, is my closest King ancestor. She is buried in .....Clarendon?, Genesee Co, NY. I'll have to visit her grave some time this summer, the next county over. Nice to meet you.

2/27/2014 at 8:43 PM

You too!

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion