MyHeritage is VIOLATING our GENI PRIVACY SETTINGS

Started by Sue Douglass on Monday, March 17, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 3 posts
3/17/2014 at 5:37 PM

I was offered a MyHeritage "smartmatch" of MY OWN PROFILE that contained data that was obviously stolen from my GENI profile. I previously had been offered a smartmatch of my son's profile. This is despite my settings that make the profiles I manage invisible to MyHeritage. I can't even "reject" the match, or contact the "manager" on MyHeritage without paying $120 a year.

Has anyone else noticed that their privacy settings are being violated by MyHeritage??

What can we DO about it? The private information being shared includes answers to all those "secret" security questions- mother's maiden name, father's middle name, places of birth, etc. that banks and credit cards use. Once that data is stolen and visible to the public, our financial records are put at risk!

Private User
3/18/2014 at 12:44 AM

Like Geni MyHeritage are not building trees and adding profiles, - the users are.

There are 41 other Geni users in your family which would get a copy of your profile if they make a full GEDCOM export from Geni - simply because they are family.

I guess one of them have uploaded such an export to MyHeritage.

From the I am working on now I don't have access to MyHeritage, but someone who have access could probably forward a message from you or at least identify the name of the tree owner so you can contact him/her using other channels.

My experience is that many users does not even know that they have uploaded a tree to MyHeritage. They simply started to use the desktop program from MyHeritage, Family Tree Builder, imported their GEDCOM export from for example Geni, and did not pay attention when the program asked if the imported tree should be uploaded to the website as well.

It happened once to me as well, and I had to log into MyHeritage to delete the tree there. You can also go into your MyHeritage settings to hide the profiles for getting flagged as smartmatches on Geni and other sites, - in the same way as you can hide your Geni profiles from showing as smartmatches on MyHeritage (http://www.geni.com/account_settings/managed_profiles).
If you get in contact to that user you can ask him/her to at least turn off that option to avoid the annoying smartmaches.

3/18/2014 at 6:35 AM

Hi Sue,

I agree with everything Bjørn said.

In the meantime, the manager of the tree on MyHeritage is Laura Marie Stovall, and I'm pretty sure you can contact her even with a free MyHeritage subscription. Just log in to MyHeritage, then click here:

http://www.myheritage.com/inbox/compose/recipient/6165219/type/1/

Be nice, because as Bjørn explained, she probably doesn't even realize that she's done anything wrong. And if it puts you at ease at all, the idea that this sort of information leads to identity theft is mostly a myth. Anyone can find your mother's maiden name from an obituary or a marriage announcement. Proving one's identity is a much more complicated process.

Cheers,
Geoff

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion