Translation help needed

Started by Alex Moes on Saturday, April 12, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
4/12/2014 at 7:30 PM

I have uploaded two documents which i found at ancestry

The best i have managed so far with the first page is a rough translation of the introduction:
"Further adjustments to the loss lists, which have been placed zufammen Because of the exhibition after the first corrections of the mobile and grsaz parts troops still received Nachmeisungen. "

http://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000025708763194

The next page has a listing for a soldier named Schiefer (the last name of the 10th Company) who could possibly be my great grandfather, Joseph Schiefer (i can't see any other Schiefers on the page).

http://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000025708763196

4/12/2014 at 7:52 PM

I can´t seem to get it clear enough... would you be so kind, as to forward the original scans to Walker2021@yahoo.com and I´ll get right on it. Nice work, so far though, Alex! Very not bad@all!
xoxoxoRenée

4/12/2014 at 7:52 PM

got it, with View Full Size! YAY! BRB!

4/12/2014 at 7:57 PM

Zusammen- Gestellt = Put together = Collected

Nachmeisungen = Nachweisungen = Proof of Evidence

4/12/2014 at 8:06 PM

"Further corrections to the Lost- List, the reason being, due to their past- tense recordings, of the first corrections of the mobile and Grsaz- troops, after entry of verification was collected."

4/12/2014 at 8:09 PM

The note under Schiefer says, He returned to his regiment.

Zurückgekehrt = Returned

4/12/2014 at 8:09 PM

hope it helps! g´nite, Cuz!

4/12/2014 at 9:12 PM

Thanks Theresa.
Not much to go on but at least this Schiefer did not die so it could still be him.
Which military unit is he in?

4/14/2014 at 2:52 PM

Yes! It would seem he returned! Great for you! ;-)
He was in the 11th Company.
xoxoxoRenée

4/15/2014 at 3:40 PM

Thank you everyone for your posts here and private messages, i think we have learnt all this document can tell us:

1. Sometime during the war, either 1870 or 1871 a solider named Schiefer was injured/went missing.
2. Schiefer eventually returned to his unit, so he did not die.
3. Schiefer's rank was Foot Guard
4. Schiefer's unit was 10th Compay, Guards Fusilliers Regiment, 1st Guards Infantry Brigade, 1st Guards Infantry Division, Guard Corps, 2nd Army.

Unfortunately the Guard's Corps recruited from all over Germany so his membership gives no indication of his origins.

I've been trying to read up on the Guard's Fusilliers Regiment but information online is quite vague. I think at this point there is not much more to learn.

Recruitment records, payroll lists or discharge papers for this unit which might show what Schiefer's first name was are the next logical target but i am not hopeful of these having survived 150 years.

Thanks again to everyone,

Regards
Alex

4/16/2014 at 7:01 AM

Great summary, so far!

I do believe it says "11th Compagnie"

Should you find further links or docs which you´d like help translating, I stand at your service, Cuz!
xoxoxoRenée

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion