Vag, Waag and Other Names: Which Place Name to Use - Why and When?

Started by Anne Ross on Sunday, September 7, 2014
Showing all 5 posts
9/7/2014 at 6:37 PM

As I become more familiar with the various place names in Eastern Europe, I'm beginning to realize that I may have used the incorrect location name for some of my entries.

Is it Vag Besztercze if the date cited is before October 1918 and then do I use Povazska Bystrica?

And, at what point would the place name Waag Bistritz be used? Would that only be used by German residents/tourists of the area or was it at some distinct time officially called Waag Bistritz?

Or (she says hopefully) is it just dependent on the ethnicity of your relatives?

Can someone clue me in on the best practice?

9/21/2014 at 4:34 PM

I suggest using the modern name with Vag Besztercze in parentheses.

12/2/2014 at 3:07 PM

The Territory of today's Slovakia belonged to the Kingdom of Hungary until 1920, for more than 1000 years. The name of Vág (Vah) is a river, but also on behalf of many village as in the name of the one town Vágsellye (Šaľa).
District: present „Vágsellyei járás” - Okres Šaľa /in English Šaľa District/ until 1920 was one of the earlier Nitra county administrative subdivision.

I think the correct name before 1919/1920:

*Vág - Vah (the river)
*Vágsellye - a city; County: Nyitra vármegye – (present Nyitra körzet - Nitriansky kraj) / in English Nitra county/; State/Country: Magyarország - Hungary (present Slovakia)

*Vágsellyei körzet - Okres Šaľa / in English District Šaľa/ (the other names as the central city)

*Vágbeszterce - Považská Bystrica
**District: Vágbesztercei járás –Okres Považská Bystrica / in english Považská Bystrica District
**County: Trencsén vármegye (present Trencséni kerület - Trenčiansky kraj)
**State/Country: Magyarország Hungary (present Slovakia)

Mihály

12/2/2014 at 3:28 PM

The Territory of today's Slovakia belonged 1867-1920 to the Austro-Hungarian Empire as part of Kingdom of Hungary. North from Danube lived together Slovakian, Hungarian and Austrian (and many from Germany) people. The name of towns and the villages were in three various languages, but until 1836 the official language was the Latin. Such is the history of Hungary.

Mihály

12/2/2014 at 3:48 PM

Other example: Bratislava name before 1918 in Slovakian Prešporok; German: Pressburg or Preßburg; Latin: Posonium; Hungarian: Pozsony.

The history of the city has been strongly influenced by people of different nations and religions, namely by Austrians, Czechs, Germans, Hungarians, Jews, Serbs and Slovaks (in alphabetical order, not significance).[5] The city was the capital of the Kingdom of Hungary, a part of the larger Habsburg Monarchy territories,[6] from 1536 to 1783 and has been home to many Slovak, Hungarian and German historical figures.

On 19th century more Austrian and German people lived in Pest (bigger part of Budapest), than Hungarian.

Mihály

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion