Maria Gray (Carter) - Carter/Gray

Started by John Carmichael on Sunday, September 14, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 14 posts
9/14/2014 at 2:26 AM

My great great grandfather was John Adams Carter and was born on May 1st 1802 at Retreat House, St. Ann, Jamaica.
In the Carter family album it says he had five siblngs:
Richard Carter married a Susannah (possibly Gray in 1810) and had many children and was of Retreat & Brighton estates
Dorothy Sims Carter (did not marry but died in Gloster Hall)
Frances Carter spinster
Maria Carter married a William Gray (issue Selina)
Levinia Carter married a John Gray
Their parents were William Carter and Sarah (nee Shearer). Her father was Andrew Shearer. It says they were all of Scottish descent.

Private User
9/14/2014 at 4:54 PM

This is very intriguing, they just released a lot of free Jamaican records at familysearch.org, I'll be sure too follow up these leads. I'll keep you posted.

9/15/2014 at 4:18 PM

I have scoured the familysearch records.
I have found John Adams Carter's baptism in 1807 (same time as Dorothy Sims) in St.Anns. Also found multiple batisms for Valentine Gray & Jane (1796). Cannot find any marriages or deaths around 1800. I wondered if the Carters had come from another parish.
William Carter the father of Maria is a mystery - must have died before 1809 as in the Almanacs he is listed as deceased.
Thanks for your interest

Private User
9/16/2014 at 7:10 AM

Valentine and Jane Francis Gray's Eldest son was baptized 1776, and his name was also John Adams (Gray.) I believe it is he who is listed on John Adams Carter's Baptism as a Sponsor, J.A. Gray.

9/17/2014 at 2:34 AM

A website gave me the following:
Geography of Jamaica – Place Names
Name Parish Country Lat Long
Retreat Parish of Saint Ann Jamaica 18.4 -77.4
Near Charlton Castle
However the name Retreat does not appear to be unique.
Strangely John Adams Carter married a Selina Adams in London 1929 and there has been speculation about the Adams family being known to the Carters. I believe he took the name from John Adams Gray.
Richard Carter, his brother (1792-1860) had many children including a William who in 1857 at the WOLMER'S FREE SCHOOL (in Church Street, and Parade, Kingston) was Head Master (sal. £210). He died in July 1862.
I am currently writing a note on all I know of the Jamaican Carters of my family.

9/17/2014 at 2:37 AM

Corrections:
I think the baptism of John Adams Gray was 1796 not 1776. I believe he married an Eliza Shearer, probably a relative of Sarah Shearer my G3 grand-mother.
John Adams Carter married in 1829 (not 1929)

Private User
9/17/2014 at 3:57 PM

I found (2) baptism records for John Adams Gray, the son of Valentine and Frances (Jane) Gray. The 1st in 1776 (by him self, probably a new born,) and a 2nd in 1796 (with his entire family, that is why I think he's the eldest child.)
I have a clipping (pdf) from the Jamaica Gleaner in 1939 when my 3rd Great Uncle, William Baggett Gray died and it has the Gray family Genealogy going back about 4 generations. He was a very important Crown Solicitor. I attached the Newspaper write up to his profile: William Baggett Gray
I'd like to see your tree, add me to your family group. :)

3/28/2016 at 4:03 PM

I have found Maria Carter marrying William Gray on March 10th 1810.
ref. Family Search St Ann browsable parish records p189

9/26/2019 at 11:56 AM

Hi John Richard Carter was My 4th Gr8 Grandfather He Had a Son Alfred who served as a Surgeon between Jamaica and Haiti. Alfred was Married to Mary Ann Mill daughter of James Mill who was a Merchant and Maryann Polymney DÁguilar Mill They had two Sons William Carter and Phillippe Charles Leslie Carter......who was My 2nd Great Grandfather

9/26/2019 at 12:45 PM

Hi Lucille,
My Great Grandmother was Selina Letitia Carter, daughter of John Adams Carter who was brother to your Richard Carter. Selina left quite a lot of information about the Carters.
The father of John Adams Carter was William Carter whose wife was Sarah Shearer.
John Adams Carter left Jamaica around 1830 and his children were bought up in England.
I have not been able to trace many living relatives of Richard Carter I so this is interesting.
Would like to hear more.

9/27/2019 at 12:04 AM

Descendants of Richard Carter
Generation No. 1

1. Richard Carter

Children of Richard Carter are:

+ 2 i. Richard Carter, died Bet. 1882 - 1892.

+ 3 ii. Alfred Carter.

Generation No. 2

2. Richard Carter died Bet. 1882 - 1892.

Notes for Richard Carter:

WILL of RICHARD CARTER, Stipendiary Magistrate, at present stationed and residing in St. Catherine.

I give to my 3 daughters CHARLOTTE EMMA CARTER, ANNA MARIA CARTER, and LYDIA FRANCES CARTER the premises at which I currently reside in King Street, Spanish Town, and advise them not to enter any agreement to sell without getting the opinion of REVD THOMAS P. RUSSELL, Wesleyan minister, and ROBERT KIRKLAND ESQ. of St. Thomas in the East.

It is my wish that mother and daughters may continue to live together in the love and harmony which marked all their former life.

Any useful books in my library to my nephew WILLIAM CARTER.

All money owing to me under the will of my father RICHARD CARTER, of which estate my brother ALFRED CARTER is executor, I give to my 3 daughters.

My 3 daughters to be executrices.

Dated 3/27/1882.

Witnesses THOMAS P. RICKARDS, JOHN A. MESSIAS, WALTER MORTIMER FRASER.

Affidavits 1/8/1892 before LOGAN RUSSELL, J.P. St. Catherine.

Counted by SELWYN UPTON RICHARDS of Spanish Town 1/11/1892.

Lib. V, Fol 7

--------

More About Richard Carter:

Residence: 1882, King Street, Spanish Town, St. Catherine

Will: March 27, 1882 (Source: B0070 Jamaica Wills 1894-1903.)

Children of Richard Carter are:

4 i. Charlotte Emma Carter.

5 ii. Anna Maria Carter.

6 iii. Lydia Frances Carter.

3. Alfred Carter

Child of Alfred Carter is:

7 i. William Carter.

9/27/2019 at 12:22 AM

Alfred who as I said was a Surgeon had another Son Phillippe Charles Leslie Carter who was Born in Jamaica on 13th December 1862 He died at age 36 around 1899. He Married Amelia Benstead Cass born June 1857 and She Passed away March 25th 1939. They were married on November 14th 1881. They Had 5 children Victor Cass Leslie Carter born October 21st 1882. Phillippe went to Jail for Fraud for 3 years. When He came out the Had a Daughter Dorothy Leslie Carter who died Young. Then They Had Alfred Lionel Carter who was born in July 1887 and became a Journalist. Then they had William Cass Leslie Carter born in 1889 who became a Architect. They then Had Cecil Sydney Carter born in 1892 who became a radiographer and immigrated to the USA. My Great Grandfather was Victor Cass Leslie Carter. He changed His Name to Victor Charles Carter. He left England to South Africa in 1901/02 to Join the Cape Mounted Riflemen to Fight against the Boers. He met His |Wife Rosina Letitia Dicks in Cathcart Eastern Cape South Africa and Got Married in July 1910. He Joined the Railways and was a Train Driver/operater until He Passed away in 1946....

9/27/2019 at 12:29 AM

John I am so Happy to have Stumbled upon this Thread....I have been trying to find out about Richard Senior and William for so long and so nice to see where they come from. Would Love to know more about the Carter Family.

9/28/2019 at 3:03 AM

Hi John if you would like to know more please email me at lucille.commons@gmail.com. Kind Regards Lucille

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion